***Day 2 MLB Draft Thread Rounds 3-10***

bmags

Just now, OneDog847 said:

If I'm understanding this correctly, the Mets are likely to just punt away their next 6 picks in order to give Allan 4 million? Pretty ballsy and creative if they pull it off. 

Pretty much, yeah. Allan is going to be expensive.

Just now, DirtySox said:

I'm pretty okay with the draft so far. Added the BPA with the 1st rounder that also fits the opening contention window, and now insulating a top heavy system with toolsy projectable prep players.

Just OK? I'm really pleased with what they're doing. 

James Beard | Rank: 127

School: Loyd Star (Miss.) HS Year: Senior Position: OF Age: 18 DOB: 9/24/2000 Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6'0" Weight: 190 lb. Commitment: Meridian CC
WATCH video.gif

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 45 | Run: 80 | Arm: 45 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

Beard is both the fastest player in this year's Draft and a high school outfielder from Mississippi, so he naturally draws Billy Hamilton comparisons. He clocked a 6.21-second 60-yard dash at a Prospect Development Pipeline event last June and wreaked havoc on the bases at the East Coast Pro showcase in August. He has almost no history against quality pitching and faces weak prep competition, so scouts aren't sure what to make of his bat, but he has enough promise that he could go as early as the third round.

Unlike Hamilton, Beard shows the potential to make some impact at the plate. He has a quick right-handed swing and strength in his hands, and he flashes the ability to backspin balls. He'll have to prove he can manage the strike zone and handle breaking pitches, but he has the upside of at least an average hitter with double-digit home run power.

Beard's quickness allows him to beat out routine grounders, steal bases and cover plenty of ground in center field. The Meridian (Miss.) CC recruit tracks balls well and could become a plus defender if he gets more aggressive. His fringy arm is more than playable in center.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I like this draft so far as well. Our system really needed to get deeper and younger. Vaughn was obvious BPA, but Thompson/Dalquist/Beard are talented prep lottery tickets. 

I'm really happy they have shifted away from being so college heavy, our low minors needed this injection of talent.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I definitely could have put together a different draft I'd be psyched about, but while I usually convince myself that every player could be good, I am very pleased with the draft strategy and use of resources.

But, like, I am very happy with the thought in drafting thompson, but I would have really loved tre fletcher, antoine kelly or mo hampton.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I like this draft so far as well. Our system really needed to get deeper and younger. Vaughn was obvious BPA, but Thompson/Dalquist/Beard are talented prep lottery tickets. 

I'm really happy they have shifted away from being so college heavy, our low minors needed this injection of talent.

This is what I wanted all along. Our lower levels desperately need talent. 

• bmags unpinned this topic