Postgame: Eloy Reigns! (White Sox winner)

Panerista

Cub forum perusing makes me feel better. For every SonofaRoache there are ten on Cubs boards. For everything which makes us different, we are all too similar. 

PSD has basically decided there is no talent on the Cubs

Edited by Eloy Jiménez

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Looks like normal mlb hand gestures to me

He keeps making a circle with his thumb and pointer finger with the other three fingers outstretched. Many NBA players make this hand gesture. Why does Eloy do it?

Eloy homering against the Cubs at Wrigley was great, especially considering where he came from.  I can't imagine the number of Cubs fans that watched that with a tear in their eyes.

Nova was surprisingly good.  The lead-off HR looked like it was going to be a bad day, but he settled down and pretty much shut the Cubs down.  I was surprised by the early exit, but it worked out with the bullpen once again shutting things down.

Great game.  Let's go for the sweep tonight.

Just now, Chisox378 said:

He keeps making a circle with his thumb and pointer finger with the other three fingers outstretched. Many NBA players make this hand gesture. Why does Eloy do it?

Why does it matter 

Anderson does it too it’s just some team thing. 

18 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Why does it matter 

Well it must mean something.  Even on the page of the Sun Times, which is shown on page 3 of this thread,  he is doing this hand gesture.

Edited by Chisox378

Well it must mean something.  Even on the page of the Sun Times he is doing this hand gesture.

It does mean something, why does it matter?  

In the past they did a row the boat, monster horns, Mickey Mouse ears, all kinds of stuff.

I think that fan got thrown out of Wrigley permanently for making that gesture, however I've always known it as a joke to put it below your belt and if he person looks, you punch them.

Either way IDGAF what the meaning is here as long as 1) it's not something mean/demeaning/etc and 2) he keeps hitting the ball to the fucking moon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

I think that fan got thrown out of Wrigley permanently for making that gesture, however I've always known it as a joke to put it below your belt and if he person looks, you punch them.

Either way IDGAF what the meaning is here as long as 1) it's not something mean/demeaning/etc and 2) he keeps hitting the ball to the fucking moon.

Well they banned him because apparently the hand gesture is a "known" white power sign but nobody apparently knew that for the last 15 years I remember seeing it. Like you said it was a game everyone played in school and there are so many memes of it at this point I am not sure how anyone could take it a different way but a joke.

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eloy up to .3 fWAR.  Defense has been run neutral for about a month after his horrid start.

-.1 rWAR for comparisons sake. 

Not really a meaningful difference, but a difference.

Edited by mqr

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

-.1 rWAR for comparisons sake. 

we need one WAR to rule them all!  That said, all I really care about is his wrc+ and not looking like a buffoon in LF on a nightly basis while threatening to hurt himself.   His wRC+ is up to 114 and his ZIPS projection actually thinks he's better than that rest of the way.  If he finishes with something like 270/330/500 that will be a successful rookie year.

3 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Cub forum perusing makes me feel better. For every SonofaRoache there are ten on Cubs boards. For everything which makes us different, we are all too similar. 

I want to make one thing clear. You may not agree with what I say and that's fine, but name calling and attacking other posters is uncalled for. I see you were probably upset because I joked that the Cubs won the Eloy trade and the Sox will have to move to Portland after his DP. That's fine, but it was in jest and I said shortly thereafter that I felt bad for Eloy because I knew he wanted that Slam. I speak very highly of him and love the guy.

You also seemed bent out of shape because I said Hahn doesn't intend to win this season, which is true. He and the org do not have intentions to win this season and have made it clear winning is not a priority. You and a few others need to stop name calling and trying to attack posters because of their opinions. My opinions are baseball related and I provide rationale for them. And before you claim all my posts are negative here are a few of my posts from yesterday. 

"I think we need to stop talking about Jose like he is Dunn or Alonso. He may not be a young great player, but he has plenty of value to give this organization on and off the field. You can do a lot worse than Jose Abreu at first or DH. "

"That makes sense but Jose gave us a chance in our bad years, and deserves a shot to win a ring. I'd give him a three year deal and if he is playing bad, then so be it. Team chemistry and name recognition is still a thing that attracts talent. Especially when you lack national relevance like we do. "

"Collins offense would be elite as a catcher and ordinary as a first baseman. Andrew Vaughn has that position on lock anyway. The good news is if McCann can remain a positive player for us, then we won't be devastated if Collins move around from catcher to first to DH. "

"I see what you mean but it makes sense losing a bit for the betterment of our rebuild. I want to keep Colome because we could really use him next season. Winning is fun and we should actually try to learn how to win this year. Losing on purpose should be over and we should only trade players if we get knocked off our feet with the return. "

26 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

we need one WAR to rule them all!  That said, all I really care about is his wrc+ and not looking like a buffoon in LF on a nightly basis while threatening to hurt himself.   His wRC+ is up to 114 and his ZIPS projection actually thinks he's better than that rest of the way.  If he finishes with something like 270/330/500 that will be a successful rookie year.

Since May 29th the following AL players have a higher wRC+ than Eloy: Mike Trout

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

The more angry posts of yours that I read (and there are lots of them) I'm really surprised you didn't change your name from the previous incarnation of AustinIllini to something more surly like Albert Belle, vs. that of the always smiling, always seemingly happy Eloy Jimenez.  Albert Belle would seem more suitable.   

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

"I think we need to stop talking about Jose like he is Dunn or Alonso. He may not be a young great player, but he has plenty of value to give this organization on and off the field. You can do a lot worse than Jose Abreu at first or DH. "

"That makes sense but Jose gave us a chance in our bad years, and deserves a shot to win a ring. I'd give him a three year deal and if he is playing bad, then so be it. Team chemistry and name recognition is still a thing that attracts talent. Especially when you lack national relevance like we do. 

The Jose haters will never change. They for the most part are the new age stat people who, when they think of  Jose, think of somebody who has horrible advanced stats thus needs to be traded now. The HRs and RBI pretty much mean nothing. In the new era, he's ancient at 32. He's also been around one team too long and it's soon gonna be time for a mysterious new name: Vaughn or Collins to play first, Eloy to DH leaving no room for Abreu.

I'll say one thing that will disappoint new wavers in this scenario. Guess what? Eloy is going to play LF a long time. He's not going to be DH even though some of you are demanding it.

Edited by greg775

22 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

The more angry posts of yours that I read (and there are lots of them) I'm really surprised you didn't change your name from the previous incarnation of AustinIllini to something more surly like Albert Belle, vs. that of the always smiling, always seemingly happy Eloy Jimenez.  Albert Belle would seem more suitable.   

Hey was Austin Illini? It all makes sense now.