GT: Twins (53-29) @ White Sox (38-42), June 30

soxfan49

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

What was the point of promoting Collins again?

Collins will get AB's eventually. I think the Sox are so impressed with McCann that part of Collins education as a catcher is definitely learning from McCann about preparation, game calling , little things to watch for with hitters that might tip a catcher off to what they are thinking.

We really are concerned about the wrong thing. He will always get AB's but he may not always get the chance to work with a guy who is everything a catcher is supposed to be.

• Love 1

36 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Watching Ronald Acuna dominate and hit another homer makes me unreasonably angry that Luis Robert hasn't been fast tracked like Acuna. 

Eloy force fed slider after slider and still took time to make adjustments. Robert far less experienced but can he learn quickly to lay off the garbage he will be thrown ? Jimenez could be a great help to him in that regard.

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Collins will get AB's eventually. I think the Sox are so impressed with McCann that part of Collins education as a catcher is definitely learning from McCann about preparation, game calling , little things to watch for with hitters that might tip a catcher off to what they are thinking.

We really are concerned about the wrong thing. He will always get AB's but he may not always get the chance to work with a guy who is everything a catcher is supposed to be.

You're missing the point. No one's issue is that McCann is getting PA's. Collins was benched today for Jose Rondon, a guy who has a 0% chance to be a contributor when this team is contending. Then, Rondon was pinch hit for by, not Collins, but Daniel fucking Palka. That's my issue. If Collins was going to be the second LH bat off of the bench, he should be in Charlotte.

I don't get how people on here and on that "Colome ample trade interest" thread act like Colome has such little value and they say that the Sox can easily replace him with a free agent next winter?  How can you people who say that ignore what he's doing and devalue it?  He came in today in a tougher than hell situation because it was the Twins, and then Garcia made it tougher with the lead-off error. And he still got the SAVE. 

He'd still be perfect in saves if Rondon had gone to 1st instead of home in Boston. The Sox are not just gonna find an any old closer and replace Colome. And it kills me that with McCann doing what he's doing, people also imply on that thread that we would have been better off keeping Narvaez and not gotten Colome. That's just stupid. 

And if we haven't given Moan4Yoan enough grief yet, he just posted on the "Colome ample trade interest thread" that  "Colome still juicing up that trade value. I agee with you guy, I think he wants the Sox to lose. 

Just now, soxfan49 said:

You're missing the point. No one's issue is that McCann is getting PA's. Collins was benched today for Jose Rondon, a guy who has a 0% chance to be a contributor when this team is contending. Then, Rondon was pinch hit for by, not Collins, but Daniel fucking Palka. That's my issue. If Collins was going to be the second LH bat off of the bench, he should be in Charlotte.

Not missing the point and I didn't say anything about McCann getting PA's so maybe you are missing my point. Unless Collins is horrible he will be here when Palka and Rondon are gone There is no reason to be concerned that Collins isn't getting AB's every opportunity he gets. The AB's are coming here or in Charlotte but he gets a chance to work with a very good catcher and see how it's done. That in itself is just as valuable.

4 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I don't get how people on here and on that "Colome ample trade interest" thread act like Colome has such little value and they say that the Sox can easily replace him with a free agent next winter?  How can you people who say that ignore what he's doing and devalue it?  He came in today in a tougher than hell situation because it was the Twins, and then Garcia made it tougher with the lead-off error. And he still got the SAVE. 

He'd still be perfect in saves if Rondon had gone to 1st instead of home in Boston. The Sox are not just gonna find an any old closer and replace Colome. And it kills me that with McCann doing what he's doing, people also imply on that thread that we would have been better off keeping Narvaez and not gotten Colome. That's just stupid. 

And if we haven't given Moan4Yoan enough grief yet, he just posted on the "Colome ample trade interest thread" that  "Colome still juicing up that trade value. I agee with you guy, I think he wants the Sox to lose. 

No, I want to see the Sox trade Colome’s remaining year of control for a solid prospect that is major league ready or near ready that they will have control of for 6 years.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not missing the point and I didn't say anything about McCann getting PA's so maybe you are missing my point. Unless Collins is horrible he will be here when Palka and Rondon are gone There is no reason to be concerned that Collins isn't getting AB's every opportunity he gets. The AB's are coming here or in Charlotte but he gets a chance to work with a very good catcher and see how it's done. That in itself is just as valuable.

And he can still get those lessons in catching and being around a pro as he gets PA's. Rondon DH'ing over Collins is ridiculous. Allowing Palka to PH all the while giving that opportunity over Collins is asinine. 

I've said it in another thread but Collins might suck. Four years ago he would've been the team's top prospect but fast forward to now and he's virtually not exciting, but we'll never know what he has if losers like Rondon and Palka are taking PA's away from him. Rondon should play once a week *maybe* when everyone's healthy and Palka should be playing everyday in a softball league in god damn Skokie.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

And he can still get those lessons in catching and being around a pro as he gets PA's. Rondon DH'ing over Collins is ridiculous. Allowing Palka to PH all the while giving that opportunity over Collins is asinine. 

I've said it in another thread but Collins might suck. Four years ago he would've been the team's top prospect but fast forward to now and he's virtually not exciting, but we'll never know what he has if losers like Rondon and Palka are taking PA's away from him. Rondon should play once a week *maybe* when everyone's healthy and Palka should be playing everyday in a softball league in god damn Skokie.

Hey, what did Skokie ever do to you?

33 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Eloy force fed slider after slider and still took time to make adjustments. Robert far less experienced but can he learn quickly to lay off the garbage he will be thrown ? Jimenez could be a great help to him in that regard.

How dare you. Don't rush players is the common stance of baseball today. Kidding but Robert is way too inexperienced if you go by today's front office executives' opinions.

I do wish we'd play Collins more. However, if McCann is our future catcher, it's decision time regarding Collins. If he's our backup catcher of the future, then just have him play once or twice a week as he'll be doing during his Sox career. If he's a starter, we may have to trade McCann in a blockbuster deal. He's become a stud obviously.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

How dare you. Don't rush players is the common stance of baseball today. Kidding but Robert is way too inexperienced if you go by today's front office executives' opinions.

Robert has been better this year than Acuna and Soto were last year prior to their call ups.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Robert has been better this year than Acuna and Soto were last year prior to their call ups.

Not being a smartass as I really don't know, but what's the difference in PA's? Obviously Robert has missed a ton of time

13 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Hey, what did Skokie ever do to you?

Nothing. I could've picked any town. Point remains, Palka isn't a professional baseball player

23 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Great post 49

32 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Amen brother. I think we're just in an era nobody thinks about keeping a guy long term unless he's one of our key core rebuilding prospects. If you are a reliever, in the eyes of fans you are not only expendable but should be traded to acquire more prospects. It's almost heresy to suggest Colome might be in our bullpen 3-6 years or something like that. It's kind of scary because relievers are so inconsistent from year to year. When they hit a team where they fare well ... maybe a team in the future will buck the system and actually keep the guy for a while like in the old days when Bobby Jenks was our closer for a few seasons or Thiggy or Roberto Hernandez or some others.

But in today's baseball, closers are a dime a dozen and if one is hot like Colome you trade him and don't look back.

Edited by greg775

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Not being a smartass as I really don't know, but what's the difference in PA's? Obviously Robert has missed a ton of time

Nothing. I could've picked any town. Point remains, Palka isn't a professional baseball player

Soto had 459 career MiLB at bats before his call-up.

Acuna 1000.

Robert has 550.

31 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Not saying he shouldn't be getting more plate appearances just saying he has valuable lessons to learn from McCann. Why get so angry about him not getting a few PA's while he absorbs as much from McCann as he can ? Catcher's don't usually hit well and the reason we hear most often is because of the physical and mental demands of the position. Relax a little, let things play out. If you think Collins long term future depends on him getting a few extras PA's in the here and now then I don't know what to tell you.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not saying he shouldn't be getting more plate appearances just saying he has valuable lessons to learn from McCann. Why get so angry about him not getting a few PA's while he absorbs as much from McCann as he can ? Catcher's don't usually hit well and the reason we hear most often is because of the physical and mental demands of the position. Relax a little, let things play out. If you think Collins long term future depends on him getting a few extras PA's in the here and now then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not angry. Don't be that guy.

His future doesn't depend on these PA's but my god they sure would be nice for him to see MLB pitching and they would sure be something to look forward to. What's the benefit of giving Palka and Rondon PA's? 

I understand mental and physical wear and tear of being a catcher, but 1) it's not like he just played a week behind the plate with no days off and 2) it's not like he was promoted to just play C. With Alonso gone I think we all anticipated some C, some DH and a little 1B. He is doing none of that right now and to me he should be sent to AAA if this is going to be the case consistently.

In conclusion: I'm not pissed about Collins not playing a lot. I'm pissed because he's not playing a lot in favor of two bums.

8 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I'm not angry. Don't be that guy.

His future doesn't depend on these PA's but my god they sure would be nice for him to see MLB pitching and they would sure be something to look forward to. What's the benefit of giving Palka and Rondon PA's? 

I understand mental and physical wear and tear of being a catcher, but 1) it's not like he just played a week behind the plate with no days off and 2) it's not like he was promoted to just play C. With Alonso gone I think we all anticipated some C, some DH and a little 1B. He is doing none of that right now and to me he should be sent to AAA if this is going to be the case consistently.

In conclusion: I'm not pissed about Collins not playing a lot. I'm pissed because he's not playing a lot in favor of two bums.

Sorry I was raised not allowed to curse and even though I do now when you say Daniel fucking Palka call them both bums it seems angry to me especially after only 2 games of Palka being recalled.

Many here were begging for Palka to be called up and to be given another chance at least as a hitter. Rondon has made some nice contributions as a fielder and if you play the field that means you have to get AB's .As far as the PH today who knows why Renteria chose Palka and Rondon. Not wanting to put a rookie into a pressure situation, trusting the guys who have swung the bat more if not so successfully lately.

30 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Your point is valid, but today it wasn't. If Collins DHs, he could have still watched McCallstar. Nothing to be upset about, but it was dumb having Rendon DH over him AND letting .026 hitting Palka pinch hit. 

47 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Soto had 459 career MiLB at bats before his call-up.

Acuna 1000.

Robert has 550.

Robert hasn't had many healthy PA' though . Also Soto almost had a 1to 1 BB to K ratio while Robert is 1 BB for every 3 K's while we hear he goes fishing quite a bit after those low and away breaking pitches. That will be exploited greatly in the majors. I believe the kid is a huge talent even while other were doubting him and saying he was made of glass. I'd be fine with him waiting til next year and I'd also be fine with a call up that can get him at least 100 PA's but my preference is next year.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Your point is valid, but today it wasn't. If Collins DHs, he could have still watched McCallstar. Nothing to be upset about, but it was dumb having Rendon DH over him AND letting .026 hitting Palka pinch hit. 

Maybe he has more to do than just watch. Maybe they have him charting pitches . I have no idea how teams prepare a catcher to become a better all around catcher.