A fair and balanced soliloquy about Jose Abreu, by ron

ron883

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

God willing, Andrew Vaughn.

Well, yeah, but there can't be any real expectation of that happening next year right?  Maybe not even to start 2021, though hopefully at some point.  But even with Vaughn playing 1B, they still will need a DH (provided Eloy stays in LF).

It is because of this that I see a 2 year extension as a good possibility.

Just now, turnin' two said:

Well, yeah, but there can't be any real expectation of that happening next year right?  Maybe not even to start 2021, though hopefully at some point.  But even with Vaughn playing 1B, they still will need a DH (provided Eloy stays in LF).

It is because of this that I see a 2 year extension as a good possibility.

Should be aiming higher than a 100 wRC+ DH. 

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Ok. Who?

Grandal is the best fit.  And better yet, he can catch too! 

Justin Smoak kinda sucks, but could probably do worse than him on a cheap one year deal if he is paired with Grandal and a legit RF acquistion.  Need some lefty bats, and he takes his walks. 

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

CJ Cron and Nick Castellanos are free agents this year. they are younger and a good bet to be better than Abreu next year.

Cron is not going to be a FA unless he is non-tendered again, and I kind of doubt he will be.  

7 minutes ago, mqr said:

Idk, but I'm not locking in a guy who isn't hitting well enough to DH now and only figures to get worse for 2 years. 

Cool.  This is how you get Reed, Skole, Palka and other AAAA fodder.  You don't let a productive player go because he could be replaced with someone better hypothetically.  You have to have a strategy.  And you have to execute it.

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Grandal is the best fit.  And better yet, he can catch too! 

He would be a good fit.  In theory you would be sacrificing some power production (thought not a ton) for better BB (and of course OBP) numbers.  But he would certainly be a reasonable substitution for Abreu.  Then the question becomes how much more does he cost, and is it worth the incremental increase in production.  If they could get Abreu for 2/25 or something, and Grandal for 4/60, is Grandal clearly the better value?

Castellanos, in my opinion, is not a clear upgrade.  He has similar OPS and wRC numbers right now.  His BB and K numbers are very similar to Abreu, and his power numbers are lagging behind.  His career high in HR is 26, I know Comerica and all, but he seems he seems overvalued.  I don't get the love affair with him at all.  I get that he is younger, but again, what will he cost?  Because his production will probably not out run Abreu by much, and if he demands twice many years or significantly higher AAV, I don't think he would be the best use of money.

Edited by turnin' two

Just now, turnin' two said:

Cool.  This is how you get Reed, Skole, Palka and other AAAA fodder.  You don't let a productive player go because he could be replaced with someone better hypothetically.  You have to have a strategy.  And you have to execute it.

He would be a good fit.  In theory you would be sacrificing some power production (thought not a ton) for better BB (and of course OBP) numbers.  But he would certainly be a reasonable substitution for Abreu.  Then the question becomes how much more does he cost, and is it worth the incremental increase in production.  If they could get Abreu for 2/25 or something, and Grandal for 4/60, is Grandal clearly the better value?

Yes, Grandal at 4/$60M is a WAYYYYYY better value than Abreu at 2/$25M.  I think Grandal is closer to 3/$60M or 4/$70-75M, and Abreu closer to 1/$10 or 1/$18M, though.  

I am going to lose my shit if the Sox waste $25M on Abreu.  IF you want to bring him back on a short term deal fine.  But it should be like a 1 year $8M deal with a $10M club option.  If they give him more than 2/$18M, they're just flushing money down the toilet.  

You could do both though.  DH is open.  1B is open.  McCann probably shouldn't catch everyday.  Grandal and Abreu is doable, but most definitely need a left handed RF Then.  

Just look at a list of free agent corner outfield/1B/DH guys that will be available this offseason and sign one to a cheap one year deal to split time at 1B with Collins. Preferably a lefty. Then if Vaughn tears his way through the minors, you call him up towards the end of next year if you need him.

Edited by soxfan2014

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yes, Grandal at 4/$60M is a WAYYYYYY better value than Abreu at 2/$25M.  I think Grandal is closer to 3/$60M or 4/$70-75M, and Abreu closer to 1/$10 or 1/$18M, though.  

I am going to lose my shit if the Sox waste $25M on Abreu.  IF you want to bring him back on a short term deal fine.  But it should be like a 1 year $8M deal with a $10M club option.  If they give him more than 2/$18M, they're just flushing money down the toilet.  

You could do both though.  DH is open.  1B is open.  McCann probably shouldn't catch everyday.  Grandal and Abreu is doable, but most definitely need a left handed RF Then.  

Grandal is a switch hitter. 

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Just look at a list of free agent corner outfield/1B/DH guys that will be available this offseason and sign one to a cheap one year deal to split time at 1B with Collins. Preferably a lefty.

Just that easy huh.  Silly me.

Jose Abreu (33)
Matt Adams (31) — $TBD mutual option with a $1MM buyout
Yonder Alonso (33) — $9MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Lucas Duda (34)
David Freese (37)
Brad Miller (30)
Mitch Moreland (34)
Steve Pearce (37)
Mark Reynolds (36)
Anthony Rizzo (30) — $14.5MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Justin Smoak (33)
Eric Thames (33) — $7.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Neil Walker (34)
Ryan Zimmerman (35) — $18MM club option with a $2MM buyout

There is the list.  Abreu looks like he may be the best hitter of the bunch.

And if you are splitting time with Collins, since he is a LHH, you'd probably want a RHH.

Edited by turnin' two

8 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I'm not saying let him go, I'm saying if he's your best option then give him 1 year 10 mil for 2020. He's not getting more than that. 

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

Just that easy huh.  Silly me.

Jose Abreu (33)
Matt Adams (31) — $TBD mutual option with a $1MM buyout
Yonder Alonso (33) — $9MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Lucas Duda (34)
David Freese (37)
Brad Miller (30)
Mitch Moreland (34)
Steve Pearce (37)
Mark Reynolds (36)
Anthony Rizzo (30) — $14.5MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Justin Smoak (33)
Eric Thames (33) — $7.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Neil Walker (34)
Ryan Zimmerman (35) — $18MM club option with a $2MM buyout

There is the list.  Abreu looks like he may be the best hitter of the bunch.

And if you are splitting time with Collins, since he is a LHH, you'd probably want a RHH.

They don't need to platoon. Just sort of switch between 1B and DH. And Collins can catch once or twice a week.