A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Place... mats?

It may be used with or without placemats, depending on the degree of formality employed by the place setting. One school of thought states that charger plates are meant simply to act as placeholders until the actual china plates are brought to the table.

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Here’s an idea...Didi Gregorius. He didn’t get a qualifying offer and bats left handed. Could play 2B until Madrigal gets called up, DH a bit, and spell Anderson at SS

He would be at first with Abreu DHing...after Madrigal came up for good.   Taking at-bats to rest Anderson and maybe Moncada as well.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nick Castellanos and Eloy Jimenez would create the worst defensive OF in the game.  By quite a bit.  I really hope the Sox aren't that dumb.  

Tack Calhoun on there, NC becomes your everyday DH. That could play. 

Not a perfect fit, but that's a much better lineup. 

Edited by mqr

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nick Castellanos and Eloy Jimenez would create the worst defensive OF in the game.  By quite a bit.  I really hope the Sox aren't that dumb.  

Honestly depends; if robert can be even 80-85% as good as buxton it would be impossible to be the worst outfield - that's how important center is to outfield grades; it's also how incredible buxton is. By all accounts Robert is an absolute stud out there but not sure how well his routes will grade out.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Honestly depends; if robert can be even 80-85% as good as buxton it would be impossible to be the worst outfield - that's how important center is to outfield grades; it's also how incredible buxton is. By all accounts Robert is an absolute stud out there.

I'm picturing the guy from the original Bad News Bears who would run over and catch everything in front of the LF and RF :cool:

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

His defensive metrics improved after he got out of Comerica.  Also Luis Robert patrolling CF in a pretty easy OF at GRF would help and his bat is a huge upgrade.

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

Tack Calhoun on there, NC becomes your everyday DH. That could play. 

Not a perfect fit, but that's a much better lineup. 

Gahhhh...Castellanos is just such a poor fit.  He's pretty underwhelming as a DH, and he's so poor in the field that he needs to be a DH.  

I guess if they go out and acquire a really nice left handed RF via trade and Abreu accepts the QO, we sign Wheeler, I could get behind Castellanos as the DH.  But man, just seems like a lot of other stuff needs to go right for it to be even a decent fit for this roster. 

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Gahhhh...Castellanos is just such a poor fit.  He's pretty underwhelming as a DH, and he's so poor in the field that he needs to be a DH.  

I guess if they go out and acquire a really nice left handed RF via trade and Abreu accepts the QO, we sign Wheeler, I could get behind Castellanos as the DH.  But man, just seems like a lot of other stuff needs to go right for it to be even a decent fit for this roster. 

I'm curious to see Castellanos market. 

Consensus is he's a horrible fielder that needs to be a DH - even moreso as he ages.

As was the case with JD, there's like 2 teams in that market and he's no where near JD as a hitter. 

He is young for a FA and you could argue he still could improve. 

But theres a real chance there's no market for the guy and he's stuck taking a 1 or 2 year deal for like 18 (1) 30 million (2). Baseball front offices have just lowered the value of his specific skill set significantly over the past 5ish years.  He could be sitting out there for a while.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Consensus is he's a horrible fielder that needs to be a DH - even moreso as he ages.

As was the case with JD, there's like 2 teams in that market and he's no where near JD as a hitter. 

But theres a real chance there's no market for the guy and he's stuck taking a 1 or 2 year deal for like 18 (1) 30 million (2). Baseball front offices have just lowered the value of his specific skill set significantly over the past 5ish years.  

And like Ozuna, If his market craters, it becomes way more attractive. You can make bad fits work for a year or two, but as the commitment gets longer it’s just really complicates things.

Thankfully this Abreu news at least makes the roster more flexible moving in 21-22 and beyond. 

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

But theres a real chance there's no market for the guy and he's stuck taking a 1 or 2 year deal for like 18 (1) 30 million (2). Baseball front offices have just lowered the value of his specific skill set significantly over the past 5ish years.  He could be sitting out there for a while.

I think Cubs like him enough to give him 4 years 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I think Cubs like him enough to give him 4 years 

As the saying goes, all it takes is one.

I just think in this scenario the potential of that one has shrunk substantially. Leaving him vulnerable. Say the Sox sign Grandal, or the Rangers, then what? Maybe you find a team like the Cubs to take a chance, but if you don't you're left out there floating in silence with no phones ringing because your initial ask is viewed as far too much.