Offseason 2019-2020 MLB Catch All Thread

iWiN4PreP

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He was a really raw prospect though; that was the knock on him for his age. He really put it together last year - I am a believer. He's really talented, and he has great strike zone recognition.

I take the guy with more perceived value — Liberatore.  IMO, the Cardinals could deal him now and get an even better return than what they gave up.

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

I take the guy with more perceived value — Liberatore.  IMO, the Cardinals could deal him now and get an even better return than what they gave up.

I said this yesterday, but publicly available prospect rankings overvalue pitchers beneath A-Ball. TINSTAAPP is a very real thing in the executive baseball world. 

Here's one good read on it. Libertore was a good prospect, but he wasn't elite enough for him to warrant his value in the rankings.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-update-to-prospect-valuation/

The Cardinals are not trading Fowler either; especially not for a non-big leaguer. They moved outfielders to clear a logjam, and potentially re-sign Ozuna. If they re-sign Ozuna, their OF is Fowler, Ozuna and O'Neill with Bader being the 4th man in the rotation. If they don't re-sign Ozuna, then their outfield is Fowler, Bader, and O'Neill.

The move for Liberatore seems odds for the Cardinals - who are in win-now mode - and you have to believe it's a precursor to a bigger move for the Cardinals who will ship Liberatore out soon after they acquired him.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Those were the best relievers on the market and the only ones that made sense for the Sox who were interested in relievers and had stated such to Merkin.

He didn't call the Robert extension - Jimmy reported it, and then another national writer said they were making progress and right after that he tweeted it out. 

He also was NOT the first person to report the Mazara trade as has been cited here. He piggybacked off another national writer - might have been Nightengale, I can't remember for sure - and that was that. I followed the guy to see if he was first on anything after he was originally cited here - I also follow all the national/local writers for most teams. He was never first, and frequently piggy backed all his reports of national and local reports.

No doubt Y2Jimmy had sources, but he first reported back on 12/23. Fake Cishek said the sides were close on 1/1 and he was extended on 1/2, and that was the first time he mentioned a Robert extension. If he was only piggybacking off Jimmy, why didn’t he do it much earlier?

• Love 2

6 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

No doubt Y2Jimmy had sources, but he first reported back on 12/23. Fake Cishek said the sides were close on 1/1 and he was extended on 1/2, and that was the first time he mentioned a Robert extension. If he was only piggybacking off Jimmy, why didn’t he do it much earlier?

He didn't piggy back off Jimmy's tweet - FS posted an article on Jan 1 before Cishek's piece breaking down the extension talks. On the morning of 1/1, MLBnetwork reported that extension talks with Robert had picked up steam.

Progress on the contract was made at the winter meetings according to Hahn, and frame work had been hashed out by the time Jimmy reported it.

Cishek takes tea leaves and reports them. He also said the Sox were closing in on Will Harris and 1 hour later Harris signed with the Nats. Then he shifted and Chisek it was.

He threw a bunch of shit against the wall, and he got a few things right. That's the nature of fake sources - Incarcerated Bob has mastered the art.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Agreed.  He's the kind of guy I go all in on.  I'm very curious to find out why the Rays dealt him.  He very well could have been their next Blake Snell.  

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He didn't piggy back off Jimmy's tweet - FS posted an article on Jan 1 before Cishek's piece breaking down the extension talks. On the morning of 1/1, MLBnetwork reported that extension talks with Robert had picked up steam.

Progress on the contract was made at the winter meetings according to Hahn, and frame work had been hashed out by the time Jimmy reported it.

Cishek takes tea leaves and reports them. He also said the Sox were closing in on Will Harris and 1 hour later Harris signed with the Nats. Then he shifted and Chisek it was.

He threw a bunch of shit against the wall, and he got a few things right. That's the nature of fake sources - Incarcerated Bob has mastered the art.

Which MLBnetwork tweet? I have not see that discussed on this forum or on twitter.

FS did not post an article on 1/1. It was a tweet linking back to Jimmy’s earlier article, and did not discuss status of negotiation.

• Love 1

51 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Technically the outcomes listed above are also the nature of real sources too.  So it is hard to determine and the reality is, someone is going to naturally be right from time to time and if they read the tea leaves well enough, they can play that "fake" role pretty good.  Its almost not a fake role, but like a quasi information role.  

Dbacks extend David Peralta - 3 years $22M with $1.25M in annual incentives.

Nice deal for the Dbacks.  Peralta was a guy I wanted to target via trade for RF for 2020.  He was also a FA next offseason, so one less guy that makes sense if Mazara doesn't make real strides in 2020.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

A couple points from the FG's piece today on Aroz:

The underlying metrics are also impressive; he pummeled the ball, hitting 49% of his batted balls 95 mph or harder. (this was something I said yesterday)

When it comes to plate discipline, Arozarena shows uncommon poise for a player with his raw tools. Guys who combine his speed and feel for contact often end up swinging too much, overly secure in their ability to hit everything. That’s not Arozarena; he ran a below-average 41% swing rate in the minors in 2019 while making contact on more than 80% of his swings. If you want a major league comparison for those numbers, it’s roughly Xander Bogaerts. (This was really interesting and something that really stood out in his profile to me)

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Impressive lights? They are LEDs that most teams have installed. I fully suspect the lights flashing on home runs and wins, so some seizures might be in order.

With pot now legalized, it could make for some trippy live game viewing experiences.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Haha 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

before

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Impressive lights? They are LEDs that most teams have installed. I fully suspect the lights flashing on home runs and wins, so some seizures might be in order.

Sox and Cub have dingy lighting. Zack Greinke did not like it. No strobes for me.

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Why would a pitcher hate dingy lighting?

Greinke reportedly has battled anxiety issues which he says are triggered by many things,  “dark places” being one of them.

( This is not a green post. )

On 1/9/2020 at 4:47 PM, chw42 said:

I'm not sure what the Rays are doing if the main pieces they get back are O'Neill and Martinez. O'Neill's a decent ML-ready prospect and Martinez is a mediocre DH. I don't know how those 2 warrant a 20 year old top 50 pitching prospect. There's gotta be more to it. 

Maybe the Rays figured that Matt is a future Todd Ritchie and cut bait. 

8 hours ago, hi8is said:

Greinke reportedly has battled anxiety issues which he says are triggered by many things,  “dark places” being one of them.

( This is not a green post. )

Whatever the detail he does not like the GRF lighting. When you switch TV from a Sox or Cub night game to another the lighting is usually better and brighter esp in the OF. You might recall Zack quit one spring with KC so he has some issues, wish him well. The strobes would give me migraines so I would def avoid that.