COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

22 hours ago, Texsox said:

Based on a couple family members and people I know the second dose really kicks people's asses. 

My daughter is a nursing student, and she recently received the second shot.  She had a fever, the chills, and some nausea for about 12 hours.  But, that seems like a small price to pay.

A hospital a couple hours away keeps posting on Facebook they have extra vaccines and to come on by, no waiting. Again WTF? Go on Facebook to find a vaccine. Amateur's hour. At least I was able to register on line and am waiting for an appointment time. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Texsox said:

A hospital a couple hours away keeps posting on Facebook they have extra vaccines and to come on by, no waiting. Again WTF? Go on Facebook to find a vaccine. Amateur's hour. At least I was able to register on line and am waiting for an appointment time. 

We did find our initial shots for my in laws on a Facebook group.

12 hours ago, Texsox said:

My wife was able to set up an appointment to get her mom the vaccine by calling the Mariano's pharmacy at 11:00 PM.  We wouldn't have known to do this except her aunt asked someone in person at the pharmacy how to get an appointment.  Apparently they open registration at 11:00 each night, and as long as you are one of the first callers, you can make an appointment to get the shot.  I imagine other pharmacies are doing similar things.  There's no real information out there, so you have to hunt around and be creative.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pcq said:

CDC says no quarantine needed if you had your shots. You have immunity for three months?!

I don't think there's hard evidence yet that says longer than three months, but it's expected to be longer. So they can't say anything more than 3. 

7 hours ago, hogan873 said:

My wife was able to set up an appointment to get her mom the vaccine by calling the Mariano's pharmacy at 11:00 PM.  We wouldn't have known to do this except her aunt asked someone in person at the pharmacy how to get an appointment.  Apparently they open registration at 11:00 each night, and as long as you are one of the first callers, you can make an appointment to get the shot.  I imagine other pharmacies are doing similar things.  There's no real information out there, so you have to hunt around and be creative.

Thank you for sharing. I'm laughing at the absurdity of it all. It's like Prohibition era, trying to buy booze, acts. 

I'm not going to blame any single politician or political party because a failure on this scale requires everyone fucking up. I think we could have done better. 

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Darn near 100k shots given in Illinois today.

I can't get over how similar the peaks ended up, with how different the level of mitigation was between the two. And if it comes down to seasonality, are we going to see another spike soon? 

On 12/3/2020 at 2:18 PM, Danny Dravot said:

You still didn't answer part of my question, which is- when would you stop? Do COVID deaths need to be zero before I can go to Mass again?

Conservatives have responded to this whole thing like idiots, and it pisses me off, but I'm still very wary of going whole-hog in your desired direction. There is a middle path.

Are you saying more conservatives have died than liberals?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/12/andrew-cuomo-new-york-nursing-home-covid-deaths-leaked-recording

Who would have thunk that the obnoxious, silver spoon-born New Yorker Andrew Cuomo is no different than Trump despite the (D) next to his name. What a piece of trash.

Funny thing is everybody already knew he was sending covid patients back to nursing homes back in May. How did this piece of garbage win an emmy and write a best selling book on covid leadership? This is the clearest example of media bias out there. People were heaping praise on Cuomo when it was already known what his administration was doing. 

Edited by ron883

22 hours ago, mqr said:

I can't get over how similar the peaks ended up, with how different the level of mitigation was between the two. And if it comes down to seasonality, are we going to see another spike soon? 

It is possible there will be another spike soon but this isn’t seasonality. The first one was it getting out of control at the start because no one was testing for it or preparing for it until it was way too late thanks to Trump. The second -that could be described as seasonal, it was schools being open, people traveling for the holidays, people getting back to bars and restaurants indoors once the summer weather ended.

If there is another spike next month, it’s because the B.1.1.7 variant will be taking over as the dominant version going around. If it spreads so much more easily that what we are doing for containment right now to slow the original is ineffective against that variant, it could do so. Right now there are probably about 10,000 cases a day of that variant, give or take a factor of 2, and it is doubling every 10 days or so, so a March surge is possible.

But in terms of deaths, hopefully we are getting close to having a large fraction of the elderly and hugely at risk vaccinated, which will limit deaths to some extent if there is another surge, and the more at risk people who are vaccinated the less any surge will be. Effectively, right now the vaccination campaign is racing against the B117 to see which one wins the race to April. I do not know whether the vaccination program will be able to avoid another spike in 2 months, I just want my shot. Please.

man it's really humming now. Don't forget to check your GPs too, ours finally got some shots last week. I'm hoping when it "opens" on the 25th they will take care of some of the at-risk group even if the county isn't.