COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

2 hours ago, RTC said:

Anyone have any tips on locating a vaccine??  I’m technically 1B because of my job - got my name on the list at DuPage Medical, Walgreens, and DuPage Cty Health.  Seems like I’m expected to spend hours trying to find an opening somewhere ..... 

Are you in Aurora? They’ve had a few mass vax sites that only run for a day but handle like 2k at a time.

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

Continued promising results out of Israel:

The big hurdle on the horizon is the E484K variants from SA and elsewhere. Keep your fingers crossed that the vaccines can keep R below 1 if those become widespread.

So when their lockdown ended - what did that entail? Is that like all restaurants wide open, no masks being worn, etc? Just curious.  

58 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

So when their lockdown ended - what did that entail? Is that like all restaurants wide open, no masks being worn, etc? Just curious.  

Unlocked down Israel seems pretty similar to “locked down” America lol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.jpost.com/israel-news/as-israels-malls-reopen-excitement-to-go-back-to-normal-659670/amp

14 hours ago, RTC said:

Anyone have any tips on locating a vaccine??  I’m technically 1B because of my job - got my name on the list at DuPage Medical, Walgreens, and DuPage Cty Health.  Seems like I’m expected to spend hours trying to find an opening somewhere ..... 

Check out CVS today, they just opened up giving shots. None in Dupage that I saw so may be a drive, but had availability at multiple sites this morning.

edit: STarting to fill up but only one near chicago had some availability in Kankakee. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I just got the Pfizer shot. I am very scared, to a ridiculous level, of needles. I looked away, and I didn't even notice he got me. But an hour later, my arm feels like I just threw 140 pitches.

Thankfully those were all 70 mph fastballs, so not too bad? 

• Haha 1

Polls show that Republican men are resisting the vaccine. Fauci appealed to Trump to talk to his followers about getting the vaccine. This macho posturing is getting old. They should remember that Trump got Covid because he was careless. He survived because he got special medical treatment that most don't get. If he hadn't gotten that treatment, he would have died before the election. Time to wise up and stop endangering others as they are endangering themselves.

Just now, NWINFan said:

Polls show that Republican men are resisting the vaccine. Fauci appealed to Trump to talk to his followers about getting the vaccine. This macho posturing is getting old. They should remember that Trump got Covid because he was careless. He survived because he got special medical treatment that most don't get. If he hadn't gotten that treatment, he would have died before the election. Time to wise up and stop endangering others as they are endangering themselves.

Focus groups are giving some hope, saying that local doctors have a big influence on Trump supporters.

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

Focus groups are giving some hope, saying that local doctors have a big influence on Trump supporters.

Trump has also said on multiple occasions now that people should get vaccinated. He has done a lot of things and maybe he could do more...but it isn’t like he is out there saying don’t do it or anything like that. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Trump has also said on multiple occasions now that people should get vaccinated. He has done a lot of things and maybe he could do more...but it isn’t like he is out there saying don’t do it or anything like that. 

Probably more accurate to say Alt R or far right in this context. Although they over lap with Trump supporters. 

Not really concerned about the polling. I'd bet there will be a divergence between what they say and what they do. And there is also just a supply issue still. Show me in July when you can walk into any walgreens or CVS and get one on demand the people that still haven't gotten it, until then it's just projection.

41 minutes ago, bmags said:

Not really concerned about the polling. I'd bet there will be a divergence between what they say and what they do. And there is also just a supply issue still. Show me in July when you can walk into any walgreens or CVS and get one on demand the people that still haven't gotten it, until then it's just projection.

There is still is resistance out there just as there is resistance to wearing a mask. Just as there are college kids flocking to Southern Florida to party. Just as Southern governors who are opening their states too soon. Just as there are the paranoids who believe a vaccination is a form of mind control.

3 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

There is still is resistance out there just as there is resistance to wearing a mask. Just as there are college kids flocking to Southern Florida to party. Just as Southern governors who are opening their states too soon. Just as there are the paranoids who believe a vaccination is a form of mind control.

Of course there is, I'm just skeptical of the polls and handwringing at this point. There is still a hell of a lot of people that want it and can't yet get it. When we are at the point where it is easy to get, then tell me 30% still don't want it. But again, I think some of it may just be the typical polling answers we get that are more of a "screw you"

When was the last time we worried about a respirator shortage?  What areas are running out of hospital beds? Remember flattening the curve?  We're in much better shape than a year ago. That seemed so long ago and it was less than a year. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Texsox said:

When was the last time we worried about a respirator shortage?  What areas are running out of hospital beds? Remember flattening the curve?  We're in much better shape than a year ago. That seemed so long ago and it was less than a year. 

We might be on a path out of this at last, but gosh saying "We're in so much better shape" doesn't sound right. It's like comparing you right after you eat some poisoned food to you after you've thrown up 18 times...you feel a lot worse after the 18th time you've thrown up, it's probably not over yet, it will be soon, and if I came in to tell you that you're in good shape you might throw up on me out of spite.

Interesting, Illinois is now providing a weekly breakdown of their federal allocation. And this does not include " The City of Chicago receives its own allocation of vaccine and therefore is not included on the IDPH website.  These data include vaccine allocated to the state and do not include vaccine that is part of the federal supply, which is directly distributed by the federal government.  "

http://dph.illinois.gov/covid19/vaccineallocations

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

We might be on a path out of this at last, but gosh saying "We're in so much better shape" doesn't sound right. It's like comparing you right after you eat some poisoned food to you after you've thrown up 18 times...you feel a lot worse after the 18th time you've thrown up, it's probably not over yet, it will be soon, and if I came in to tell you that you're in good shape you might throw up on me out of spite.

Hospitals are able to schedule all surgeries. No hospital bed shortages. Plenty of hand sanitizer, toilet paper, alcohol wipes, beef,  chicken, etc in the stores. 

I think we're closer to the "I stopped throwing up a couple hours ago and realize I'm hungry but I probably shouldn't eat that cold pizza" stage. 

We obviously have a ways to go,  and could have handled this much better, but man a year ago it looked very bleak. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Quin said:

I think people just need to realize there will always be people who are resistant to vaccines especially ones that came about in less than a year