COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

47 minutes ago, Quin said:

30M specifically.

From stories I've read, AZ is dragging their feet with the FDA (i.e. providing data, applications), which is mind boggling. They should likely just ship to nations that have already approved, to be honest, but I guess they're invested since it was funded with the DPA / Warp Speed.

I mean, if they’re dragging their feet, it’s because their tests weren’t that well designed in the first place. The approved 3, we have 30,000 cases where they tested that routine to see if it was safe. The Oxford vaccine, they tested in all sorts of different ways, and the “recommended” setup of a half sized dose followed by a full sized dose was only tested on a few hundred people by accident during the original trial. 

It really shouldn’t be approved here based on what they reported so far. Every time there’s a person with a real, legit reaction, it gives people a real reason to worry about it, and hurts our ability to overcome vaccine hesitation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, if they’re dragging their feet, it’s because their tests weren’t that well designed in the first place. The approved 3, we have 30,000 cases where they tested that routine to see if it was safe. The Oxford vaccine, they tested in all sorts of different ways, and the “recommended” setup of a half sized dose followed by a full sized dose was only tested on a few hundred people by accident during the original trial. 

It really shouldn’t be approved here based on what they reported so far. Every time there’s a person with a real, legit reaction, it gives people a real reason to worry about it, and hurts our ability to overcome vaccine hesitation.

I mean ok but it's also been injected into 10 million+ arms in UK and it has shown even 1 shot to be effective after 6 weeks. Getting hung up on their November study results still is bizarre. And this is all in the midst of their strain, so it seems like a pretty good rather large study.

15 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

A number of European countries halted AZ vaccinations over blood clotting concerns.

What's this about? I am concerned a little bit more after reading this. Are the darn vaccines safe or not??

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

What's this about? I am concerned a little bit more after reading this. Are the darn vaccines safe or not??

I wouldn't worry about the vaccines (J&J, Moderna, Pfizer) currently being used in the US. The authorization process the FDA uses is brutal. AstraZeneca is the one being discussed here.

13 hours ago, Quin said:

I wouldn't worry about the vaccines (J&J, Moderna, Pfizer) currently being used in the US. The authorization process the FDA uses is brutal. AstraZeneca is the one being discussed here.

Good. Thanks.

I got the J&J shot Friday. It feels a little thick going in to the arm, but pretty painless. I was a little tired yesterday. Took a 2 hour nap and was fine afterwards, so it may have just been a Saturday malaise. Today I feel fine.

I can still feel a slight bump where the shot went in, and it feels a little like a bruise an inch or two around, but that’s it.

Edited by Middle Buffalo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I got the J&J shot Friday. It feels a little thick going in to the arm, but pretty painless. I was a little tired yesterday. Took a 2 hour nap and was fine afterwards, so it may have just been a Saturday malaise. Today I feel fine.

I can still feel a slight bump where the shot went in, and it feels a little like a bruise an inch or two around, but that’s it.

Noice thanks, my brother got it yesterday too, said needle was pretty huge but he’s scared of needles.

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

Noice thanks, my brother got it yesterday too, said needle was pretty huge but he’s scared of needles.

I give platelets every month, and I can’t watch them put that needle in my arm. When I got this, I didn’t notice the needle being extra big, but I didn’t really pay attention. It’s just going into the upper arm muscle not poking around for an artery so I wasn’t concerned.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

13 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I give platelets every month, and I can’t watch them put that needle in my arm. When I got this, I didn’t notice the needle being extra big, but I didn’t really pay attention. It’s just going into the upper arm muscle not poking around for an artery so I wasn’t concerned.

Yeah I'm not concerned myself just interested. I give blood which I also don't look at because it is gross but shots don't bother me.

1 hour ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I didn’t feel a thing with the vaccine, I joked that they scammed me and just said I was vaccinated.  Friday I had a nuclear stress test and sweet mother of God that damn needle on the top of my hand was huge and it hurt like hell when they slammed that stuff in. 

I got by second Pfizer shot on Friday.  I had absolutely no side effects.  My arm was a bit sore for a day, but it was nothing more than discomfort.  I know different people are affected differently, but most people I know who have gotten the vaccine (Pfizer and Moderna) have had little to no issues.

It's exciting to see 3-4 million shots give per day.  If the pace continues, and supply keeps up, we could be at her immunity quicker than anticipated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I got by second Pfizer shot on Friday.  I had absolutely no side effects.  My arm was a bit sore for a day, but it was nothing more than discomfort.  I know different people are affected differently, but most people I know who have gotten the vaccine (Pfizer and Moderna) have had little to no issues.

It's exciting to see 3-4 million shots give per day.  If the pace continues, and supply keeps up, we could be at her immunity quicker than anticipated.

Good to head. I bet my first Pfizer shot on Wednesday. 

3 hours ago, hogan873 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/02/20/us/us-herd-immunity-covid.html

This is from a month ago, but you can play with this for when we reach herd immunity.

At 3 million a day, we're looking at May - July.

Anyone have any tips on locating a vaccine??  I’m technically 1B because of my job - got my name on the list at DuPage Medical, Walgreens, and DuPage Cty Health.  Seems like I’m expected to spend hours trying to find an opening somewhere ..... 

Try local facebook groups, those can help sometimes. Vaccine finders like getmyvaccine.org are kinda reliable and may help.  You can call a few local pharmacies directly and ask if they have a "wastage" list or something similar and ask to be put onto that. I got lucky randomly checking Mariano's website for a few days as did my parents.

Meijer has a wait list you can ask to be put on as well. You can try Jewel-Osco (kroger's) website to check for availability. My doc at DMG told me a week and a half ago that he expects the vaccines to be rolled out to primary care clinics by the end of this month as long as supply keeps up, for what it's worth. That would likely be the J&J single dose since it's easier to distribute.

e: FWIW, Pritzker is trying to beat Biden's goal of everyone in Illinois eligible for a vaccine by May 1st.

Edited by StrangeSox