COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

8 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

dunning kruger, yikes.

I’m not sure how my linking to the thousands of doctors on twitter from all over the world gravitating towards this idea necessitates condescension over discussion, but you do you man.  

Edited by Jerksticks

3 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I’m not sure how my linking to the thousands of doctors on twitter from all over the world gravitating towards this idea necessitates condescension over discussion, but you do you man.  

how could you possibly have an opinion on treatment or what this disease is when you're not a doctor? 

1 hour ago, pcq said:

I believe Trump may have a business connection to the med he is promoting. Cohen had introduced him to the owner. Some business never stops. 

Honestly, this makes a ton of sense.  It is one of the very few things he has been consistent on throughout this time period.  It also follows from when he tried to buy another potential cure/treatment in Germany previously.  We all know this President is perfectly willing to profit off of the backs of the American people, and he will disregard conflict of interest to do it.  There might not be any proof out there at this time, but his actions sure open him up to a higher level of scrutiny and suspicion than literally every single other American President in history who divided their personal interests into a separate and untouchable trust while they were President to avoid conflict of interest.  Trump doesn't get that benefit of the doubt because of his own actions to this point.

31 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

how could you possibly have an opinion on treatment or what this disease is when you're not a doctor? 

I linked to the thousands of doctors discussing the attack on hemoglobin and it’s ability to transport oxygen to vital organs by Covid-19 as perhaps the primary assault on the body... and said “this is super interesting”.

You need to apologize.  It’s okay for us to link to doctors discussing the disease that is affecting us all.  It’s also okay for us to say “hey this idea presented by doctors is interesting, what do you think about it.”  It’s okay for us to discuss things.

You need to apologize man.  That was a weird flex and attack

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, mqr said:

Well that happened fast

RIA released last night that Boris was on a ventilator. The west denied it.... then today he was "sent to ICU as a precaution." Think RIA got this one right for once and the west is lying through their teeth. Not looking good for Boris.

Shaking hands of corona patients on April 3Rd and bragging about it. Jaysus.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

11 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I linked to the thousands of doctors discussing the attack on hemoglobin and it’s ability to transport oxygen to vital organs by Covid-19 as perhaps the primary assault on the body... and said “this is super interesting”.

You need to apologize.  It’s okay for us to link to doctors discussing the disease that is affecting us all.  It’s also okay for us to say “hey this idea presented by doctors is interesting, what do you think about it.”  It’s okay for us to discuss things.

Everyone on Twitter who says they're a doctor must be a doctor too, obviously.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

A couple of weeks ago you were speculating that tens of millions in the US were already infected and that the British "herd immunity" plan was the way to go.

Hes been the biggest propagandist and misinformed absolutist in this thread since its creation. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

dude you said one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever read.  Honestly the responses were tepid.   You basically just described a fever dream you had about the virus and its "cure" to an audience of fairly well read and smart people and got called the fuck out.  

Don't post absolute non sense and you won't have people "attacking" you. 

This virus mostly attacks by binding to cells in  your lungs and fucking up the semi-permeable membranes that allow them to resupply your arteries with O2.   Apparently it has a very interesting protein structure that allows it to bind to cells in the lungs much more efficiency than most coronaviruses, hence why it's more deadly.

Hence "novel coronavirus".  There is no miracle cure here like go on Twitter and just read the Doctor threads.  Millions of doctors are in real time trying to figure out treatments and it's not as easy as saying "it attacks hemoglobin".  I mean that's like saying the key to the game will be to outscore the other team.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

RIA released last night that Boris was on a ventilator. The west denied it.... then today he was "sent to ICU as a precaution." Think RIA got this one right for once and the west is lying through their teeth. Not looking good for Boris.

Shaking hands of corona patients on April 3Rd and bragging about it. Jaysus.

How many people have gone off a ventilator and recovered? Not good. 

Just now, pcq said:

How many people have gone off a ventilator and recovered? Not good. 

I just heard 50% of the patients that have to go to the ICU survive in the UK. The other thing is if you are on a ventilator for very long, it messes you up long term even if you do recover. 

When famous people start dying people notice. If PewDiePie dies, then everyone will take it seriously. And yes, that was slightly sarcastic, I don't want anyone to die. 

6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

When famous people start dying people notice. If PewDiePie dies, then everyone will take it seriously. And yes, that was slightly sarcastic, I don't want anyone to die. 

Honestly to take this a step further, it's when someone close to them dies that the people who are downplaying this will take notice.

Numbers are abstract for most people.  Say 10,000 dead people and it might not mean anything. Say Grandma is dead, it is a different story.

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly to take this a step further, it's when someone close to them dies that the people who are downplaying this will take notice.

Numbers are abstract for most people.  Say 10,000 dead people and it might not mean anything. Say Grandma is dead, it is a different story.

I think even when it became clear that many "mild" classification cases still had people in delirious fever for 2-3 weeks and feel like their drowning that scared me. I read a piece on the first NJ coronavirus case this weekend. 32 years old, new daughter, was a doctor and knew how bad it was when his oxygen levels got so low. Avoided being intubated but thought he was a goner, and had written a letter to his daughter in case of death.

Just terrifying.

The whole severity by how bad your dose is is still very confusing. But it makes the risk of our health professionals, and support staff, so amazing, terrifying, and infuriating at their lack of protection.

Chicago started releasing hospitalization numbers:

3,680 people have been hospitalized with COVID-19, with 12,262 reported cases, that's a 30% hospitalization rate.

I think that illustrates we are probably still undercounting by quite a bit. I thought hospitalization was anticipated around 10-12%.

Only 4k tests today, I'm not sure we'll hit 10k/day by eow, though I expect a jump tomorrow.

edit: it looks like 30% really is common at this point. Either, again, reflection of undercounting or reflection of poor US health. But yeah, 30% getting hospitalized is a LOT.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I just heard 50% of the patients that have to go to the ICU survive in the UK. The other thing is if you are on a ventilator for very long, it messes you up long term even if you do recover. 

20% survival rate if you end up intubated