White Sox Top Prospects (Where do they start?)

KnightsOnMintSt

One thing that I always look forward to as Spring Training comes to a close is where the top prospects will start the 2020 season. Here are mine!

1. Robert- Chicago

2. Kopech- Charlotte

3. Madrigal- Charlotte

4. Vaughn- Winston-Salem

5. Dunning- Birmingham (June)

6. Stiever- Birmingham

7. Basabe- Charlotte

8. Rutherford- Birmingham

9. Adolfo- Birmingham

10. Gonzalez- Charlotte

11. Sheets- Charlotte

12. Thompson- Great Falls

13. Dalquist- Great Falls

14. Pilkington- Birmingham

15. Johnson- Charlotte

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

One thing that I always look forward to as Spring Training comes to a close is where the top prospects will start the 2020 season. Here are mine!

1. Robert- Chicago

2. Kopech- Charlotte

3. Madrigal- Charlotte

4. Vaughn- Winston-Salem

6. Stiever- Birmingham

7. Basabe- Charlotte

9. Adolfo- Birmingham

10. Gonzalez- Charlotte

11. Sheets- Charlotte

12. Thompson- Great Falls

13. Dalquist- Great Falls

15. Johnson- Charlotte

What do you guys think?

Not a chance. He'll definitely be in Birmingham.

1. Robert- Chicago

2. Kopech- Charlotte

3. Madrigal- Charlotte

4. Vaughn- Birmingham

6. Stiever- Birmingham

7. Basabe- Charlotte

9. Adolfo- Charlotte 

10. Gonzalez- Birmingham

11. Sheets- Charlotte

12. Thompson- Kannapolis

13. Dalquist- Kannapolis

15. Johnson- Birmingham

16. Yolbert Sanchez- Kannapolis 

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

1. Robert- Chicago

2. Kopech- Charlotte

3. Madrigal- Charlotte

4. Vaughn- Birmingham

6. Stiever- Birmingham

7. Basabe- Charlotte

9. Adolfo- Charlotte 

10. Gonzalez- Birmingham

11. Sheets- Charlotte

12. Thompson- Kannapolis

13. Dalquist- Kannapolis

15. Johnson- Birmingham

16. Yolbert Sanchez- Kannapolis 

I mostly agree with this.  But given they got that bonus option for Micker, I think he starts at AA.  I also wonder if Yolbert goes straight to High A given he’ll be 23 to start the season.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mostly agree with this.  But given they got that bonus option for Micker, I think he starts at AA. 

Completely agree. He didn't have many PAs before he went down and he's not nearly as advanced with the bat as say Vaughn who can (and likely will) jump to AA seamlessly. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I've heard that Yolbert, Thompson and Dalquist are slated to start in Kanny. 

That’s great news on Thompson & Dalquist.  Do you envision Yolbert just getting a short stint at Kanny to start the year before moving to High A or are they going to take things slow with him given his bat is lagging way behind his glove?

Awesome on Thompson/Dalquist. That's about what they did with Adams too (though adams/danish pitched a bit more their first year post draft).

Kanny/W-S not going to be the most fun this year, but Kanny still has some stuff to watch.

Really excited for short-season ball though and see some of the progression from last year.

Bounce back years for Bush/Sosa would be great.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Awesome on Thompson/Dalquist. That's about what they did with Adams too (though adams/danish pitched a bit more their first year post draft).

Kanny/W-S not going to be the most fun this year, but Kanny still has some stuff to watch.

Really excited for short-season ball though and see some of the progression from last year.

I think Kanny could be pretty interesting depending on which guys from Great Falls get the bump and if they force Bush and/or Sosa to repeat.  The problem is outside of Harvin Mendoza (I personal favorite of mine), most of the younger Great Falls guys really struggled last year.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Kanny could be pretty interesting depending on which guys from Great Falls get the bump and if they force Bush and/or Sosa to repeat.  The problem is outside of Harvin Mendoza (I personal favorite of mine), most of the younger Great Falls guys really struggled last year.

Mieses and Comas were on track at least. Kannys the jump, so we’ll see who has a possible big league future quick.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Bush still has far too many empty swings but when he makes contact he hits the holy hell out of it.  Top of the chart exit velos.  He has to find an approach where he can put the ball in play more often while not sacrificing that crazy power.  He'll still be young for Kanny but it's go time young man.  

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Bush still has far too many empty swings but when he makes contact he hits the holy hell out of it.  Top of the chart exit velos.  He has to find an approach where he can put the ball in play more often while not sacrificing that crazy power.  He'll still be young for Kanny but it's go time young man.  

Good points here. He also struggled with injuries and had trouble with his vision last year which is corrected. If he stays healthy, I think he has a better year. 

On 1/29/2020 at 9:05 AM, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I am really excited to watch Gavin Sheets in Charlotte this year. With the short porch in right field, I think he will put up some pretty incredible power numbers.

Agreed, he gets slept on but I think he'll actually be a solid MLB option in the future (probably not for us). From 5/30 to the end of the season, he hit .287/.372/.481 with a 148 wRC+. For reference, Robert posted a 155 wRC+ in AA. 

There's a scenario that's not at all far-fetched where Collins, Sheets, and Vaughn all dominate their levels while Abreu and Encarnacion perform to expectations in MLB. At some point, a trade will probably be necessary, even in addition to declining the option on EE.

24 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Sheets posted below avg exit velocities especially for a 1B.  That and his approach is going to catch up to him.

they'll know more this year at Charlotte. Birmingham is notoriously hard on power numbers.