Road Sox @ Home Sox | 7.16.20 Intrasquad GameThread

Tnetennba

Wilson Betemit. Ryan Sweeney.  SSS.

We had months of hand-wringing over Madrigal.  

Give the guys some time...Rodon can throw 94-98 when he chooses too, it’s always location and counts with him.   And with how bad EE was looking in spring, will take this game and put it in the books.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see him throwing that many sliders so if I am right I'm just happy he's getting in the work he needs.

Yeah - Rodon is probably the rustiest of the entire bunch, so you have to figure he'll be behind everyone else. The fact that he's out there getting work in - that is most important.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, he looks awful. I think he's gotten about 6 swinging strikes since you brought up his stuff; in about 5 batters.

He indeed looked much better once he threw that change up. Didn’t see much in terms of breaking ball.

40 minutes ago, fathom said:

He just hasn’t added anything since he broke into the majors, and it seems his stuff has gone downhill as well.  Still can’t get over how different he looked in that dominating outing vs Braves when on the Nats.

DIdn't he have a pretty good spring?  

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, he looks awful. I think he's gotten about 6 swinging strikes since you brought up his stuff; in about 5 batters.

I wish he would have trusted McCann when he called to double up the change up after Grandal swung and missed on one for strike two.

25 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He did say he was learning defensive drills from abreu which could explain his struggles. 

Haha - I thought that exact same thing when I read that quote the other day.  It is like taking throwing lessons from Chuck Knoblach or Rick Ankiel.  

31 minutes ago, flavum said:

Good experience for Vaughn, but it truly sucks he wasn’t able to play 130 games at Birmingham this year. What’s the word on the AFL this year? They give up on that?

Word on the street is expanded AFL, but I'm skeptical that they can pull that off

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Lambert podcast with Chuck was pretty good

I'm a big Lambert fan. I was surprised to see him already back and throwing. I don't know why, but I thought he went down late last year. I think he'll be a great option down the road in the bullpen. Possibly a swing guy, or multi-inning arm.

10 hours ago, flavum said:

Kudos to Garfien for the Josh Hamilton comp for Collins. Been said before obviously, but much better than Thome.

Josh hamilton comp? In what way?

I'm a bit sceptical about him. He has the best eye in the organization and has some pop but the swings on misses on fastballs that are fat over the plate are worrying.

It is ok to occasionally miss a slider or a chest high FB but collins is missing fastballs that are essentially down the pipe and that is a bad sign.

If he can catch I'm fine with .220 with 100 walks and 25 Homers (about a 220/350/420 line) but at DH or 1b that is not that great.