MLB COVID-19 outbreaks: None of as Sept 18

bmags

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2020/08/cleveland-indians-reinstate-mike-clevinger-and-zach-plesac-from-mlb-restricted-list-option-both-to-alternate-training-site.html

We spent time thinking about what gives our team the best chance to win tonight,” Antonetti said. “We made the determination that it made the most sense to, in order to be the best team we can be, we made the decisions we did to option them to the alternate site.”

“They hurt us bad,” Plutko said after Cleveland’s 7-1 loss to the Cubs at Progressive Field. “They lied to us. They sat here in front of you guys and publicly said things that they didn’t follow through on.”

Francona’s reaction upon seeing the video did not necessarily produce the results Plesac was likely hoping for. 

“I was disappointed,” Francona said.

Antonetti said he also had a chance to view the video, and he’s not sure Plesac was able to convey what he intended after speaking to him individually.

“I think if he had a do-over, he may have said things a bit differently,” Antonetti said.

37 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I don't know how much credibility this shortened season will have with all this stuff going on. And I have a strong feeling more trouble is on the way. If they do get in a World Series, the winner won't be remembered as other past winners.

But then what about the Astros and Red Sox over 2017-18, not to mention the previous Ortiz/Manny Ramirez Red Sox?

Perhaps more memorable because such a surreal year from beginning to end?

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I think from today you can now officially say that MLB management has 0 confidence in the ability of their health and safety protocols to prevent spreading among teams.

If a Cardinals situation happens to the Reds you'd have to think that's it for the season. 

31 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol you guys should all stop saying this. Nothing will cause mlb to stop playing the season.

I wouldn't say nothing but it would take multiple teams with  double digit players out at once.

Exactly. There's a chance. What if the Mets spread it to the Marlins - and the Marlins got knocked out again for a week or two? 

At a certain point I'm also trying to figure out what the taxi squad is for. I can see taking a pause for a series if you have a test, but isn't that kind of on you? You should have to quarantine those who got it and bring up your minor leaguers. 

Whole thing is a mess. Cant wait til a team like the Cardinals who play 53 games has a .528 winning percentage and gets in the playoffs over the Padres or something who play 60 games and have a .527 winning percentage. 

Also why I'm not getting too concerned with anything Sox - it was going to be an up and down year for them full of crazy winning streaks and bad losing streaks. I Just wanted to see development and injury free - same applies now. Also, not sure you'd get anything, but I'd be looking to trade anybody who doesn't have a future on this team. I could give zero sh*ts if we win a "world series" this year. Just doesn't mean a thing to me. So if there is any market that gives even somewhat of a return i think you try and unload. 

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Exactly. There's a chance. What if the Mets spread it to the Marlins - and the Marlins got knocked out again for a week or two? 

At a certain point I'm also trying to figure out what the taxi squad is for. I can see taking a pause for a series if you have a test, but isn't that kind of on you? You should have to quarantine those who got it and bring up your minor leaguers. 

Whole thing is a mess. Cant wait til a team like the Cardinals who play 53 games has a .528 winning percentage and gets in the playoffs over the Padres or something who play 60 games and have a .527 winning percentage. 

Also why I'm not getting too concerned with anything Sox - it was going to be an up and down year for them full of crazy winning streaks and bad losing streaks. I Just wanted to see development and injury free - same applies now. Also, not sure you'd get anything, but I'd be looking to trade anybody who doesn't have a future on this team. I could give zero sh*ts if we win a "world series" this year. Just doesn't mean a thing to me. So if there is any market that gives even somewhat of a return i think you try and unload. 

The game delays are not for fairness or anything like that - the testing takes a day or three for them to be sure that the team isn't going through a full outbreak. Playing games during that time would risk having multiple teams go down at once.

To your point, though, I think the taxi squad is a bit of a holdover from when their plan was much dumber and they thought they could just hot swap the one infected player out and go play that night. 

3 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Actually, all things considered, I think MLB is probably pretty pleased with where things are.  I was not confident at all this season would play to conclusion before it started, or within the first week.  At this point, I'd be kind of shocked to see the season cancelled before its conclusion.  

I also think the second bolded is a wild take.  Sure, this isn't your typical season, but the Sox learning how to win and getting playoff experience will be incredibly important for the future.  Confidence is a huge thing, and the Sox playing .580-.600 ball and getting a playoff series win or two would be huge for the future.  Winning the Covid Cup would be an enormous step in the right direction, and to completely discount that is a quite a hot take.