8.15.20 GT | Cards @ Sox game 2 | 3:15PM

Tnetennba

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Him, Eloy even Moncada a bit. I'm willing to give Moncada a pass moreso than others because of having covid. 

The stuff that made Giolito successful is still there but the command isn't as much. 

Like I said I think Giolito's delivery is a bit off. 

The only hitters on the team I'm even cautiously optimistic on are Moncada and Robert. 

Eloy is, imo, never going to be a high average guy. He'll slug a ton and that's plenty. Moncada has scuffled but like you said, he's probably exhausted. I was never sold on Giolito as a true #1. I hope I'm wrong

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Eloy is, imo, never going to be a high average guy. He'll slug a ton and that's plenty. Moncada has scuffled but like you said, he's probably exhausted. I was never sold on Giolito as a true #1. I hope I'm wrong

I was hopeful on Giolito as a true #1 but he's looking like a strong #2. Has flashes of dominance but not consistent enough to be an ace. There's a lot riding on Kopech right now. Given how bad Giolito was in 2018 I think we'll all take that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I was hopeful on Giolito as a true #1 but he's looking like a strong #2. Has flashes of dominance but not consistent enough to be an ace. 

I wouldn't draw that conclusion based on this messed up season. He's had 5 starts with a very limited "Spring training" and we have no idea what kind of work he was able to do for months. If he was doing this in a normal year, we'd be saying "it's only April, he just needs to get into a groove for a month and he'll look fine" or "his numbers are still worse than they should be because of that one opening bad game, give it time". 

About the only conclusions worth drawing from this season are ones we probably thought beforehand. Things like "Juan Soto is pretty darn good" or "Carlos Rodon gets hurt a lot", those you can probably convince me of.