2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

8 hours ago, The Beast said:

Looks like Lauren Underwood is in a tight race with Jim Oberweis to keep her seat in Congress, Sean Casten is in a fight with Jeanne Ives to do the same and the Illinois Fair Tax will fail based on the math we are seeing.

Look forward to other ways of raising revenue to pay the state's bills.  Tax retirement income like all the other surrounding states.  Would that require a constitutional amendment?  Reducing pension liabilities?  That would require an amendment.  Raising the general tax rate on our already regressive income tax?  Why do I say regressive?  Because those folks "lucky" enough to have a $15,000 real estate tax bill can deduct 5% of that on their income tax returns and you apartment dwellers can deduct zero.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

LARR got great odds betting Biden to win last night, most of the odds strongly favored T at the time. Now Biden clear gambling favorite. Like betting the Patriots in 3rd quarter of Super Bowl against Atl.

The way you worded that is: "Trump is still the heavy favorite to win so everyone's betting Biden just in case." Is that accurate?

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

The way you worded that is: "Trump is still the heavy favorite to win so everyone's betting Biden just in case." Is that accurate?

No, people are betting Biden now because he’s the clear favorite. Last nights bets were all the Falcons up 28-3. Bets right now are game tied in overtime with Patriots driving.

I'm surprised and pleased that this thread is still alive.  When I started it a while back I fully expected it to be closed by election day.  But SoxTalk continues to be one of the best sites to visit with a bunch of great folks having (for the most part) courteous conversations.

The few times I woke up last night, I went right to this page to see if there were any updates.  I certainly appreciate those who have been relaying what they've heard.

I went to bed last night certain that 2016 was repeating.  Now it seems like Biden has a more clear path to winning.  We won't know for a couple days, I'm sure, but we may have a better idea by later today or tomorrow.  Regardless, this is an historic election.  If there wasn't so much on the line, it could be more enjoyable to watch.

• Like 3

It was interesting to watch each state as the votes were counted.  Some counted early voting first, like Florida, and some are counting early voting last, like MI, WI, and PA.  What we're seeing is that early voting nation-wide was skewed Democratic while day of voting was skewed Republican.  It looks like the early voting along the blue wall could be the tipping point for the entire election.

Likely means Peters to the Senate as well from MI.

Picked up CO, AZ...NC, IA, went the other direction, although still slim hopes for Cunninghan and Biden there.  Not counting on either GA seat, although Loeffler would seem like the easier one to knock off.  Jones lost AL, which everyone expected.

Collins really looked like she was history heading into this election, straddling line between Trump and her moderate/centrist roots

3 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

It was interesting to watch each state as the votes were counted.  Some counted early voting first, like Florida, and some are counting early voting last, like MI, WI, and PA.  What we're seeing is that early voting nation-wide was skewed Democratic while day of voting was skewed Republican.  It looks like the early voting along the blue wall could be the tipping point for the entire election.

Yeah, it really looked positive for Florida and Ohio at that point.   Iowa, you had a similar phenomenon.

If they had another 2-3 weeks to go, Trump really had a great chance to catch Biden.   That 100,000,000ish early count held up just enough against a late breaking Trump wave the last 7-10 days, especially with Hispanics in places like Miami-Dade.  The GOP did surprisingly well in Senate as well as House.

The candidate we talked about a lot two years ago, Abbie Finkenauer from Iowa, one of the youngest reps, lost by 3-4.  Cheri Bustos had a real tight race on the NW Illinois side.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Dafuq? 

Biden has Wisconsin firmly. One more state and he wins. And 3 states have enough votes for it to happen.

I'm staying pessimistic while planning a move to New Mexico ( closest blue state) or back home to Illinois. 

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Wow, Nevada’s not going to update until Friday morning.

So suspense still in six states, although North Carolina changing seems the most remote possibility at the moment.

Nevada looks close but that’s mostly Wayne county mail ins that need to be counted. 

40 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Look forward to other ways of raising revenue to pay the state's bills.  Tax retirement income like all the other surrounding states.  Would that require a constitutional amendment?  Reducing pension liabilities?  That would require an amendment.  Raising the general tax rate on our already regressive income tax?  Why do I say regressive?  Because those folks "lucky" enough to have a $15,000 real estate tax bill can deduct 5% of that on their income tax returns and you apartment dwellers can deduct zero.

I don't believe that needs any amendments. It appears it hasn't been done because it is politically untenable. The whole thing about the fair tax allowing the government to tax retirement income was a quote taken out of context from a politician saying it would be more likely with the fair tax because it would allow the retirement income to be taxed at different rates so seniors who rely on theirs could basically be taxed at a 0% while other larger ones were taxed at a different rate.

As for ways to raise more revenues? Pritzker could still try to create the fair tax with a loophole. The state could raise the income tax percentage on everyone, but then have varying deductions or waivers or something like that at the different income levels so it is effectively a progressive structure. It would probably face lawsuits, but if things are bad enough, maybe the state supreme court finds it as a tenable solution.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's why Trump made that speech.  He wants to sow doubt and destroy the process so he can try to get this into the courts.

Yeah your regular chuds are already eating that one up, to the point where Ben Shapiro is being cannibalized.