Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

15 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

4 WAR is worth $36 million per year and players are rarely paid at the market WAR rate because contracts are typically longer to spread out the payment. The Padres don't necessarily want Manny Machado's age 33-36 seasons, but they're willing to pay $30 million AAV for them to get his age 26-32 seasons.

I don't see him getting that much, but that tells me that a 5/150 deal is right in the range he might end up taking. I wonder if he would take 5/$150 with a team option for $30 million and a $10 million buyout making it either 5/$160 or 6/$180. Considering the market for his services seems to be small, that might be a deal that gets it done.

There's also the possibility he takes less years , more AAV. He's a different kind of guy so he could do something unexpected. Think along the lines of 3/$100+M

21 hours ago, Wisebri224 said:

Any chance they could get creative again with Bauer......like 2 years $50 million with a 3rd year option team option of $50 million or a $40 million buyout (over 20 years).  Indirectly offering him $90 million for 2 years........trying to figure out a way to get him here:)

I think the Sox got creative with Hendriks because his salary for 2021 , 2022 and 2023 was $11M, $13M and $14M with the 4th year either $15M if they keep him or spread out over 10 years if they didn't. Not sure how creative you can get with Bauer at easily double+ those amounts when if he wanted to take a 3 year deal he could probably get  $125M guaranteed with no creativity needed from someone. There's just no way the Sox would pay anyone $40M not to pitch no matter how many years they spread it out and not a chance Bauer accepts that.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think the Sox got creative with Hendriks because his salary for 2021 , 2022 and 2023 was $11M, $13M and $14M with the 4th year either $15M if they keep him or spread out over 10 years if they didn't. Not sure how creative you can get with Bauer at easily double+ those amounts when if he wanted to take a 3 year deal he could probably get  $125M guaranteed with no creativity needed from someone. There's just no way the Sox would pay anyone $40M not to pitch no matter how many years they spread it out and not a chance Bauer accepts that.

Considering Bauer is still campaigning directly to teams, I don't think the dollars are anywhere NEAR what he wants.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Considering Bauer is still campaigning directly to teams, I don't think the dollars are anywhere NEAR what he wants.

I think he could get a $35M AAV in a shorter  3 yr. contract just not in a 7 or 8 year contract. It's what he could get in those 4th , 5th and 6th years that might be holding things up.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 yr/ 100 mil would get it done for the Sox if he is sincere about winning. No one else is offering him that much AAV for a true championship contender. 

He can get 5 years from the Angels and Giants for sure...but that doesn't fit his recent narrative. The problem is going to be if Luba will accept him taking less years (this contract will either propel or stifle her career potential)

18 hours ago, poppysox said:

Would not at all surprise me.  JR is planning to go out with a bang.  At least I hope so.

Well then let's do Bauer / Springer and he can do just that. 

Enough of the faux po' owner whining. 

After the parade, he can then sell team to an ownership group that can operate a pernenial big-market contender.

How long do you think Reinsdorf would have lasted operating teams in NY, Boston or LA like he has the Sox and the Bulls post-Jordan ?

Please.

32 minutes ago, GradMc said:

Well then let's do Bauer / Springer and he can do just that. 

Enough of the faux po' owner whining. 

After the parade, he can then sell team to an ownership group that can operate a pernenial big-market contender.

How long do you think Reinsdorf would have lasted operating teams in NY, Boston or LA like he has the Sox and the Bulls post-Jordan ?

Please.

Well...it's hard to know.  The incomes of the teams you mention are considerably greater than ours.  I imagine he would have corresponding more money.

Back to the pipe dream of signing Trevor Bauer...

... Just got around to watching his YT video on 'what he wants in free agency'. 

In theory... the idea of a player being transparent through this process should be a great thing and very moral of the player, but watching it I get a few vibes:

1) Bauer is doing his best to be a good guy and be transparent, I truly believe he's a good dude

But it comes off a bit wrong in this video somehow.

2) For someone focused on their brand... his videos are pretty dull and boring. Could use a better editor, or maybe that's just my twitch video gaming side of me talking...

3) Bauer is definitely interested in the 4 day starts for him. I'd be totally down.

I think if the White Sox group actually gave him care and attention, 5/150 would be a slam dunk and there's a decent/good chance he can be had for much less due to the poor market for him atm. Maybe 3/90? Maybe 4/100? IDK.

I realllllllly hope the WS are in on him because he can be had!

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

If only our organization had the balls that teams like the Padres do. 

I realize that you can't sign everybody, but this is the time to take advantage. If you are gonna trade controlled assets for 1 year of a 34 year old you should definitely be going all in. Restraint just kinda makes that trade look even worse than it already was and undermines the entire rebuild.

On 1/14/2021 at 7:42 AM, poppysox said:

Well...it's hard to know.  The incomes of the teams you mention are considerably greater than ours.  I imagine he would have corresponding more money.

The Bulls do very well and he is still cheap there too. Even managed to piss off Jordan who won him six rings. 

2 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

It'll be very interesting to see where Bauer lands and what he gets at this point. Figure he's got to be looking at ways to get creative with the contract to spin it as a win on a short deal but also get his "recognition" as a top talent/contract.

It would be nice if we could take advantage of this market. Such a shame.  

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

It's insulting. Having an owner with two major league franchises at that . It's the one chance we have to make a dent in the top of the market with less competition. Dj Lemahieu got 15mm average. Why not take advantage of signing a difference maker as opposed to trading heavy assets? It's not even about Bauer at this point.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Right, after seeing how they got creative with Liam's deal, this seems like an opportunity for our FO to do something funky with a deal that would appeal to Bauer and give us some flexibility. I just don't think they'll get the go-ahead to push it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Right, after seeing how they got creative with Liam's deal, this seems like an opportunity for our FO to do something funky with a deal that would appeal to Bauer and give us some flexibility. I just don't think they'll get the go-ahead to push it.

If Bauer signs for 1 yr. $8M he's ours !

• Haha 1

His idea about pitching every 4th day reminded me of the Baltimore Orioles back in the day when Earl Weaver was manager.  In 1971, they had 4 starters who each won more than 20 games. 

Mike Cuellar, 292 IP, 3.08 ERA, 20-9

Pat Dobson, 282 IP, 2.90 ERA, 20-8

Jim Palmer, 282 IP, 2.68 ERA, 20-8

Dave McNally, 224 IP, 2.89 ERA, 21-5

Those 4 starters started 142 of 162 games. 

In 1970, they had 3 starters start 39 or 40 games each. In 1969, they started working up to this. 

That was 50 years ago, and the game has obviously changed. But it's not as if it is impossible for someone to pitch every 4th day. 

I don't think the Sox are going to sign Bauer to a multi-year deal. But I have wondered if the market never materializes for him, if he might not be willing to take a 1-year deal at the end of the day. In that case, just like Corey Kluber would have made a lot of sense for the Sox, Bauer might also, albeit at a higher price tag. We certainly can offer the World Series contender part of his wish list. 

17 minutes ago, VAfan said:

His idea about pitching every 4th day reminded me of the Baltimore Orioles back in the day when Earl Weaver was manager.  In 1971, they had 4 starters who each won more than 20 games. 

Mike Cuellar, 292 IP, 3.08 ERA, 20-9

Pat Dobson, 282 IP, 2.90 ERA, 20-8

Jim Palmer, 282 IP, 2.68 ERA, 20-8

Dave McNally, 224 IP, 2.89 ERA, 21-5

Those 4 starters started 142 of 162 games. 

In 1970, they had 3 starters start 39 or 40 games each. In 1969, they started working up to this. 

That was 50 years ago, and the game has obviously changed. But it's not as if it is impossible for someone to pitch every 4th day. 

I don't think the Sox are going to sign Bauer to a multi-year deal. But I have wondered if the market never materializes for him, if he might not be willing to take a 1-year deal at the end of the day. In that case, just like Corey Kluber would have made a lot of sense for the Sox, Bauer might also, albeit at a higher price tag. We certainly can offer the World Series contender part of his wish list. 

But we aren't going to spend more than 8 mil on a starter (LOL), apparently.

15 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

But we aren't going to spend more than 8 mil on a starter (LOL), apparently.

Where does the $8M come from? Lynn's salary? 

Obviously, the Sox spent money after they traded for Lynn, so they could have allocated more for SP. And there is no indication that the Sox are really done adding, even if you listen to Rick Hahn talking about being okay with what they have now. 

I think the Sox were interested in Kluber and would have matched the $11M the Yankees paid, and perhaps exceeded it. I think Kluber preferred the Yanks for a couple of reasons, just like Wheeler decided to take somewhat less money from the Mets than we offered him. 

So, I believe the Sox will spend more. Just not $30M more on someone like Bauer. 

8 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Obviously, the Sox spent money after they traded for Lynn, so they could have allocated more for SP. And there is no indication that the Sox are really done adding, even if you listen to Rick Hahn talking about being okay with what they have now. 

I think the Sox were interested in Kluber and would have matched the $11M the Yankees paid, and perhaps exceeded it. I think Kluber preferred the Yanks for a couple of reasons, just like Wheeler decided to take somewhat less money from the Mets than we offered him. 

So, I believe the Sox will spend more. Just not $30M more on someone like Bauer. 

I figure that. Even if Bauer is forced to go less. Hendriks is a great get but if this plays out the way it is looking then the "all in" narrative was a complete sham and they screwed the pooch. Again.

20 minutes ago, VAfan said:

You should probably read some of the other threads. Twitter food guys giving that $8 figure with hopes of also adding a LH bat. They say most of the other starting pitchers in the Sox price range are asking for $10M including Q and Richards. Still working on trades. Not sure if some of these guys sign soon or if market will wait them out hoping for prices to come down.

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)