Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Gotta believe a mutually acceptable deal can be arrived at. Something starting in mid-high 20s w/annual opt-outs for Bauer. 

I would go low 20's with lots of bonuses for innings, quality starts, etc.  Bauer thinks he is better than everyone else...let him put his money where his mouth is.  Keep his contract from being a disaster if he is just a little more average than he thinks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You know things are bad when the Trevor Bauer thread is the most active without the slight bit of speculation of him signing with the Sox.

I know right? I thought maybe there was something new that happened overnight. Hoping one of the foodies said something.  Ha!

With news that Dodgers wanna go short term...that makes this tough. Here is my best proposal that would be really hard to say no to if he wants to win:

3 years/100 million guaranteed. 5 million bonus for winning Cy Young each season. Year 4 automatically vests if he wins one of those Cy Youngs at 38 million with an opt out option.

This makes him the highest paid AAV each season if he wins the Cy Young but also limits the years...and if he is crushing it you Gladly pay that 4th year price or he decides it's time for one more payday elsewhere.

TREVOR...just do it. Win a Cy Young, be the highest paid pitcher. Spit in Cole's face as you help lead Sox to one or two world series championships. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes, it's an opinion based on Jerry being dissatisfied with agent fuckery during free agency. 

I don't think Jerry wants to deal with the headache. 

Jerry doesn't until maybe the end of a negotation process.  He has people for that.

Let's be honest here, he isn't interested because Bauer is really expensive.

https://www.mlb.com/news/trevor-bauer-rumors

Jan. 21: Any number of teams would benefit from signing Bauer for the top of their rotations. That includes the Blue Jays, who might still be considering the right-hander, even after landing George Springer. It also includes the defending-champion Dodgers, who could be a player for Bauer, depending on the sort of contract he is looking to command.

But neither of those clubs appears to be a favorite for Bauer’s services, per MLB.com executive reporter Mark Feinsand.

“Based on conversations with sources, the two teams believed to have the best shot at Bauer are the Mets and the Angels,” Feinsand wrote Thursday in his look at the free-agent market.

The Mets already have been one of the most active teams this offseason, including their trade for shortstop Francisco Lindor and right-hander Carlos Carrasco. But they missed out on Springer, who was considered a top offseason target, raising the question of whether they will pivot back to Bauer to pair with Jacob deGrom.

The Angels probably have the greatest need for Bauer as they look to return to the postseason for the first time since 2014. While signing him could push the team past the $210 million competitive balance tax threshold in 2021, Feinsand points out that with more than $65 million set to come off their books after this season, the Halos should have room for Bauer long term.

1 hour ago, shago said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/trevor-bauer-rumors

Jan. 21: Any number of teams would benefit from signing Bauer for the top of their rotations. That includes the Blue Jays, who might still be considering the right-hander, even after landing George Springer. It also includes the defending-champion Dodgers, who could be a player for Bauer, depending on the sort of contract he is looking to command.

But neither of those clubs appears to be a favorite for Bauer’s services, per MLB.com executive reporter Mark Feinsand.

“Based on conversations with sources, the two teams believed to have the best shot at Bauer are the Mets and the Angels,” Feinsand wrote Thursday in his look at the free-agent market.

The Mets already have been one of the most active teams this offseason, including their trade for shortstop Francisco Lindor and right-hander Carlos Carrasco. But they missed out on Springer, who was considered a top offseason target, raising the question of whether they will pivot back to Bauer to pair with Jacob deGrom.

The Angels probably have the greatest need for Bauer as they look to return to the postseason for the first time since 2014. While signing him could push the team past the $210 million competitive balance tax threshold in 2021, Feinsand points out that with more than $65 million set to come off their books after this season, the Halos should have room for Bauer long term.

Pretty much what I thought when I ranked the possibilities 1 Blue Jays 2 Angels 3 Mets

Smart GM like Cohen goes after Quality and makes SP depth a strength. I'm kinda leaning towards the mets unfortunately getting him. 

55 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I guess the Twins aren't actually "in the mix". Carry on. 

So I cannot read this story in full but it includes this.

In 2019, a student at Texas State University, Nikki Giles, said she felt harassed when Bauer tweeted at her more than 80 times. Bauer’s exchange with Giles was not sexual, but he later acknowledged on Twitter that it was out of line.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So I cannot read this story in full but it includes this.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/01/09/indians-trevor-bauer-college-student-twitter-exchange-harassment

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/feb/21/why-on-earth-is-climate-skeptic-twitter-troll-trevor-bauer-mlb-most-hated-man

Signing Bauer would almost be the equivalent of Albert Belle.  Except JR’s past the point of awarding one of the biggest contracts in the game just to make a point...

Edited by caulfield12

Everyday I wake up wishing, praying that the White Sox would be linked to Bauer. 

I want him on this team so bad.

No other player as accessible as Bauer is (FA, just money) would make our team better than he would.

Adding Bauer is the only way this rotation gets to the point of completion. Bauer/Giolito as 1+2 is WS caliber. Keuchel+Lynn as 3+4 inning eaters is WS caliber. 5+6 as Cease/Kopech/Lopez is WS acceptable.

Not only that, I have faith in Bauer's health. So Bauer + Lynn + Keuchel not having health issues makes us strong. 

Not only that, Bauer is fun as hell. Instantly he'd become one of my top 2 or 3 White Sox Players to watch and he'd probably be #1 soon.

No bigger upgrade out there...

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)