Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)

Jose Abreu

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I really hoped he went to one of the LA teams, one of the few willing to pay him. He went 0-2 in the best chance he’ll ever have to win a World Series. Definitely not worth the headache or payroll issues he will cause anyone beyond a 1-2 year deal. I don’t want him on the few teams I like.

Definitely more happy with Lynn for a year, if the Sox sign one more decent starter not pushing 40 years old, they have a good shot at getting through a real season (i.e. close to 162) with gas left in the tank.

Fuck man, i want bauer so bad. Grabbing him would not only make me not care about eaton/la russa, but id actually be happy about it all. Bauers so fun to watch

oh well

maybe we have a new chance since cohen seems to be making negative waves with the whole stonks thing

34 minutes ago, macsandz said:

Only on a short-term / High AAV. Sox could, in theory, hypothetically, potentially offer a longer term (extended spread). 

Hypothetically, of course because Bob said they're broke...so. 

The Sox pretty much have to get creative with a deal if they won't spend top dollar. Maybe they could do a 4 year guarantee with a 5th year option ($10 mill buyout or so to be paid out over 10 years), player opt outs after years and 3, and a signing bonus and include incentives for IP, CY Young votes, etc.? The Nats were creative on a few contracts like the Scherzer one. He got a 7-year deal but it's being paid over the course of 14 years I believe.

They should be all over him with basically no market.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

The Sox pretty much have to get creative with a deal if they won't spend top dollar. Maybe they could do a 4 year guarantee with a 5th year option ($10 mill buyout or so to be paid out over 10 years and a signing bonus and include incentives for IP, CY Young votes, etc.? The Nats were creative on a few contracts like the Scherzer one. He got a 7-year deal but it's being paid over the course of 14 years I believe.

They should be all over him with basically no market.

Definitely .. a lot of this wishful thinking hinges on just how serious the mets are... if reports are true that he has a massive offer on the table then we are already out.

im hoping its all smoke and mirrors 

1 hour ago, macsandz said:

Only on a short-term / High AAV. Sox could, in theory, hypothetically, potentially offer a longer term (extended spread). 

Hypothetically, of course because Bob said they're broke...so. 

How do you think Bauer would respond to a creative, extended spread contract? Hypothetically, of course. 

48 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Definitely .. a lot of this wishful thinking hinges on just how serious the mets are... if reports are true that he has a massive offer on the table then we are already out.

I highly doubt we were ever even remotely "in."

55 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Sadly, I doubt the Sox have had much, if any, contact with Bauer and his camp. There is no chance, even on a one year deal, they shell out $30+ million right now. 

Would it be the ultimate win now move? Absolutely, but it just is not going to happen. 

19 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

How do you think Bauer would respond to a creative, extended spread contract? Hypothetically, of course. 

I'm just guessing here but I would think in theory he would potentially consider it and perhaps even possibly express an interest in having his agent discuss it more than once. Hypothetically, of course.  Just spitballing because...Bob. 

1 minute ago, macsandz said:

I'm just guessing here but I would think in theory he would potentially consider it and perhaps even possibly express an interest in having his agent discuss it more than once. Hypothetically, of course.  Just spitballing because...Bob. 

You don't seem to put much faith in Bob's comments.  🤔

42 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Sadly, I doubt the Sox have had much, if any, contact with Bauer and his camp. There is no chance, even on a one year deal, they shell out $30+ million right now. 

Would it be the ultimate win now move? Absolutely, but it just is not going to happen. 

What if we are way into it up to our necks and that's why everything is so quiet and on the hush-hush?  Our FO likes to be stealthy on these things.😉

• Jose Abreu changed the title to Dodgers sign Bauer (3/102, opt-outs, 40-45-17)