2021 MLB Catch-all Thread

flavum

David Wells is the only Sox I ever booed, because we suspected he was drunk/hungover when he was puking on the mound before being pulled against the Cubs in the first inning, consistent with his reputation.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/23/the-unusual-pep-talk-that-pushed-drunk-david-wells-to-yankees-perfection/

“half-drunk, with bloodshot eyes, monster breath, and a raging, skull-rattling hangover.”

Sandy Alderson is none to pleased about Javy's "unprofessional gesture".

https://newyorkmets.medium.com/statement-from-mets-president-sandy-alderson-2f968039ee3b

The Mets will not tolerate any player gesture that is unprofessional in its meaning or is directed in a negative way toward our fans. I will be meeting with our players and staff to convey this message directly.

Not a smart move from someone approaching Free Agency.

Meet the Mets

Meet the Mets

Edited by South Side Hit Men

38 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He turned down around $180 million a couple of years ago. Is there any chance he hasn't cost himself around $100 million if not more?

Hey man keeps acting like he’s a $150 mill player but I just can’t imagine putting that much into a guy very likely to be a .290 obp

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Hey man keeps acting like he’s a $150 mill player but I just can’t imagine putting that much into a guy very likely to be a .290 obp

Have you seen how fast he can pull his glove down on tags? Give the man 200m. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

He turned down around $180 million a couple of years ago. Is there any chance he hasn't cost himself around $100 million if not more?

That's Ricketts' fault Baez didn't resign for some deal he would've never lived up to. He's not sniffing 80 million this offseason. He's lucky Crawford re-signed in SF so now he's the fourth best free agent position.

16 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Screenshot_20210829-172718_Twitter.jpg

So as a New Yorker, the Mets are my National League team and I'm a casual fan.  I also don't believe in booing players unless they are assholes or don't put in the effort.  It's pretty damn hard to do what they do and slumps happen.  For example, when Paulie when through that nightmarish 03 and 08 seasons, I was really glad White Sox fans cheered loudly for him every time he came up to bat and every time he got a hit.  But like this is such a slap in the face especially for a multi-millionaire to say this to a bunch of working people who come to the ballpark (and yes the Mets are the more working class team in New York in terms of fan bases, although it's not as stark as the White Sox-Cubs split).  White Sox won't go after him anyways but he's such a jackass.  And now that he plays for  a team I kind of like and have some rooting interest in, I feel like I can say this even more.  He's a jackass.

I'm not a Javy Baez fan; I know little about him since I stopped watching the Cubs even before Marquee. A player who does this is putting himself in a no-win situation especially when he and his team is not playing well. But perhaps wimpy fans should be able to take it if they dish it out. And the three most entitled fan bases are those with the Mets. Yankees and Red Sox. 

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

I'm not a Javy Baez fan; I know little about him since I stopped watching the Cubs even before Marquee. A player who does this is putting himself in a no-win situation especially when he and his team is not playing well. But perhaps wimpy fans should be able to take it if they dish it out. And the three most entitled fan bases are those with the Mets. Yankees and Red Sox. 

He did a lot of great things in the community.  Including helping get large portions of the Chicago population vaccinated and also the stuff with his sister is heartbreaking.  I think he's likely a genuinely good person but as a baseball player, he's kind of a jackass.