The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

17 minutes ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

Don't do it for me. I'm just telling you that your standards and criticism is too harsh. If you seriously think this team is only a B, then you are missing out on the fun of this potential magical season. We haven't had this great of a team in 16 years. Until it goes wrong I'm all in and giving them the credit they deserve through 33 games.

It still cracks me up you think the Sox are only a B, but TLR gets a B grade. Btw, B is good grade, but Rick Hahn is not trying to build a B team! lol

I don't know why u are so worked up over this. Sox have a good team and roster and capable manager, that if the team is healthy, will win 2-3 WS titles. Just enjoy it. If you want an A at this stage of the season, fine. If I had gotten a B in Chemistry and/or Geometry and/or Algebra I'd have been a happy camper instead of a rotten student.

Edited by greg775
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I don't know why u are so worked up over this. Sox have a good team and roster and capable manager, that if the team is healthy, will win 2-3 WS titles. Just enjoy it. If you want an A at this stage of the season, fine. If I had gotten a B in Chemistry and/or Geometry and/or Algebra I'd have been a happy camper instead of a rotten student.

I'm not worked up...just puzzled. You just explained for us why you think a B is so amazing and off the charts. lol

What has TLR done that is good for this team?  This was RayRay Sun's question a few pages back.

I just posted a thread about the Sox leading the AL in runs per game at 5.24, which is higher than their 5.10 average last year.  

They've gone from first to last in HRs, but they are still second in OPS+ because they lead the AL in OBP, and while their slugging is down, it's still 7th. A lot more walks, a lot fewer Ks mean more bats on balls with men on base, and that seems to have led to more runs per game.  

Now the players have to execute, but I seem to recall Tony LaRussa talking about cutting down on strikeouts when he took the managerial reigns. I just can't seem to find the article. So I believe he's had significant influence over the Sox new offensive approach. 

I'm sure TLR doesn't want the Sox to finish last in HRs, but if you can score without them, when you get them, it's a bonus. That seems better than having to have them to win. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VAfan said:

What has TLR done that is good for this team?  This was RayRay Sun's question a few pages back.

I just posted a thread about the Sox leading the AL in runs per game at 5.24, which is higher than their 5.10 average last year.  

They've gone from first to last in HRs, but they are still second in OPS+ because they lead the AL in OBP, and while their slugging is down, it's still 7th. A lot more walks, a lot fewer Ks mean more bats on balls with men on base, and that seems to have led to more runs per game.  

Now the players have to execute, but I seem to recall Tony LaRussa talking about cutting down on strikeouts when he took the managerial reigns. I just can't seem to find the article. So I believe he's had significant influence over the Sox new offensive approach. 

I'm sure TLR doesn't want the Sox to finish last in HRs, but if you can score without them, when you get them, it's a bonus. That seems better than having to have them to win. 

The Sox offensive fWAR through 33 games last year was higher than the Sox offensive fWAR through 33 games last year.

The Sox team fWAR through 33 games last year was higher than the Sox fWAR through 33 games this year.

This despite them having two SP's last year.

Any other questions?

I'm trying to keep up; we got on LaRussa defender (who apparently hates LaRussa but was just keeping it real) arguing that the Sox had better offensive production last year which led to the better results for Ricky and that wasn't Ricky's doing, and then we have another LaRussa defender crediting LaRussa with.... the Sox offensive production for this year that is down versus last year.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

8 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Or Robert/Jimenez K’s subtracted as well...homers too missing from those guys, so quite naturally down with Leury, Vaughn (ton of doubles), Madrigal, etc.

21 hours ago, greg775 said:

I think a B is a pretty good grade. Let's see what happens the rest of May. Sox had a very nice series in KC last weekend. I'm not against the Sox or anything. I'm not doing handstands yet. I'm happy. I'm definitely not burying Tony and I'm not showering trophies on him, yet. But yes, I'm still concerned about the DUI. Can't forget that quickly. 

So your grade is held back by what may happen the rest of the month? As of May 11 I think they earned an A, especially considering losing key players. But you have always been the glass is half empty and about to spill on my new pants kind of guy.

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

So your grade is held back by what may happen the rest of the month? As of May 11 I think they earned an A, especially considering losing key players. But you have always been the glass is half empty and about to spill on my new pants kind of guy.

A- until they dominate the Yankees...Cole is pitching today, do we face him?

What grade should the Indians/Francona get?  Greg will give Tito Francona A+ baby!

Edited by caulfield12

Really don't like the continued pulling of Vaughn in the 6th-7th. Sunday he pulled Vaughn, after a spectacular fielding play, while leaving Mendick in RF.

Tony pulled Vaughn again last night, wasted an out bunting Garcia. Vaughn would have scored anyway after the top of the order hit, Abreu would have came up with two on in the seventh if Tony didn't waste yet another out playing small ball.

White Sox Hitters 2021 Innings 7-10: (updated through yesterday)

5 H 17 ABs: Andrew Vaughn .294 (Above average fielder, per Tony, above average hitter)

4 H 48 ABs: Tony's late inning LF Preferences .083 (Some above average fielders, the bottom two are below average, all are dreadfully below average hitters)

• Leury Garcia .120  (3/25)
  • Billy Hamilton .077 (1/13)
  • Jake Lamb .000 (0/6)
  • Nick Williams .000 (0/5)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Really don't like the continued pulling of Vaughn in the 6th-7th. Sunday he pulled Vaughn, after a spectacular fielding play, while leaving Mendick in RF.

Tony pulled Vaughn again last night, wasted an out bunting Garcia. Vaughn would have scored anyway after the top of the order hit, Abreu would have came up with two on in the seventh if Tony didn't waste yet another out playing small ball.

White Sox Hitters 2021 Innings 7-10: (updated through yesterday)

5 H 17 ABs: Andrew Vaughn .294 (Above average fielder, per Tony, above average hitter)

4 H 48 ABs: Tony's late inning LF Preferences .083 (Some above average fielders, the bottom two are below average, all are dreadfully below average hitters)

• Leury Garcia .120  (3/25)
  • Billy Hamilton .077 (1/13)
  • Jake Lamb .000 (0/6)
  • Nick Williams .000 (0/5)

Does Garcia finish the year 3/25 or do you play him? If so when and how?

39 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Does Garcia finish the year 3/25 or do you play him? If so when and how?

Leury had to play with the injuries to start the year. I would have preferred Mendick be up all year filling in for the INF, and Garcia playing the Engel role. That said, if anyone is coming out of a game at this point, it should be Leury for a hitter, not Vaughn. The bunting needs to stop as well, this isn't the 1970s/1980s, this roster has too many hitters to continue to have Garcia/Hamilton blow a late inning, or give up outs when you have excellent hitters (9-1-2-3) next. 

Hamilton can PR or play defense say in the 9th, or a defensive replacement for Mendick in RF. it seems like a push button move for Tony at this point to take out Vaughn at the 7th, many times in close games.

In terms of go forward, the bench players should play 1-2  games a week, but not 3-4 bench players starting in the same game. I don't agree with Abreu, Anderson, Robert (played every game until hurt) and Moncada trying to play 162, and sitting only out when they are hurt. Resting these guys at least 1 or 2 games per month will make a difference down the stretch.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Good analogy on the glass half empty kind of guy. Sometimes I feel others, not all, tend to be like that and not appreciate what we have here!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VAfan said:

Agreed and great points. There are too many people here that think you need home runs to win baseball games. We lead the league in runs per game with one of the best pitching staffs! That's all I care about. Oh yeah, hence why we lead in run differential too. lol 

Picking up the paper this morning I read the following comments from the Cubs Manager after Chris Bryant pitch hit and ended up getting hit by a pitch, and then was removed from game. "He's felt pretty crappy. So we were running for him no matter what"....."He was just super under the weather", "he didn't sleep much last night. Just not feeling good" .  If Tony gave those same comments he would be declared senile and too old to manage for playing a player who wasn't feeling good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Picking up the paper this morning I read the following comments from the Cubs Manager after Chris Bryant pitch hit and ended up getting hit by a pitch, and then was removed from game. "He's felt pretty crappy. So we were running for him no matter what"....."He was just super under the weather", "he didn't sleep much last night. Just not feeling good" .  If Tony gave those same comments he would be declared senile and too old to manage for playing a player who wasn't feeling good.

Uh no.  There's nothing wrong with any of that.

3 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

True.  It comes with the job and I'm starting to believe it's good for the game. The worst thing would be no interest from the fans. No second guessing,  just forget about the game. Fans second guessing the manager is a healthy part of the experience. 

Just now, A-Train to 35th said:

My point was, Tony would have been blamed for pinch hitting a sick player who didn't sleep well the night before and was super under the weather.

He took Yermin out because of bad vibes after he booted a ball at first and IIRC pretty much this entire board agreed with it

I wonder if all you TLR bashers are unhappy that the Sox are in first place, with the best record in baseball, have won 6 in a row, sweeping two division rivals in the process, while TLR has made some very astute moves??

I mean, does White Sox success, with TLR firmly at the helm, cause you consternation?? 

Or do you still nitpick, think the Sox are succeeding in spite of him, just so you can hold onto your prejudices? 

i see some very astute moves by TLR.  Gave Billy Hamilton a start in CF against a lefty, and he goes 4 for 4 with a double, triple, and two singles, drives guys in and scores 3 runs.  Today - I haven't seen the game - he makes a defensive play (or two) with men on base, saving runs and perhaps the game?  Meanwhile, Jake Lamb gets a start to rest Jose from the beating he took yesterday, and he hits a HR giving the Sox enough of a lead to keep them ahead the whole game.  Maybe he wasn't the best defensively, but did it cost the Sox the run he gave them?  

There are more moves I've liked, but I'll just leave it there.  

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

Since this is the TRL thread,

Kudos to the old man today.  Fielding a get away, tomorrow we have a doubleheader game line up, he completed the sweep.

Removed Foster and Ruiz when he should.  Replaced Lamb who was having a really bad defensive day.

How many thought Grandal was going to pinch hit in the eighth and replace Collins?

Tony bats Mercedes who drives in a cushion run, reducing pressure in the 9th.

Give Tony credit for a game well played.

• Like 1