6/1 - White Sox (33-20) @ Cleveland (28-24) - 6:10pm EDT - NBCSC/FS1

knightni

1 minute ago, mharkins said:

Yes, he had a bad game, but I’ll take my chances with José Abreu in crucial situations, regular season or otherwise. 

Umm...okay, he's definitely usually clutch in RBI situations, but these are the Indians we're talking about.

Do just enough to get by.

That's why even winning the first game of the DHer yesterday was a shocker.   Maybe they relaxed and let off the gas too much until the last couple of innings tonight.

Thankfully, we have Lance Lynn going tomorrow, he and Rodon have been our true stoppers so far this early season.

2 minutes ago, mharkins said:

Yes, he had a bad game, but I’ll take my chances with José Abreu in crucial situations, regular season or otherwise. 

Me too but he’s actually always been significantly worse in high leverage situations.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Jose is not good under pressure.  Just like last year in the A's series - he shrinks in the big situations.  Not good for a team leader.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/9540/situational?selectedTable=0&season={"name":"ALL_SEASONS","season":"","seasonPhase":"REGULAR_SEASON","groupedBySeason":false,"requiredPhase":"season.phase.regular","displayName":true}

For his career he’s been significantly better with men on base.

Tonight was bad, though. 

Just now, fathom said:

Me too but he’s actually always been significantly worse in high leverage situations.

What’s really the difference between high leverage situations and putting the game away early?

The guy still leads the league in RBIs

I get yeaaaa playoff time blah blah blah every pitch matters. Doing damage early in a game is just as important as late.

Just now, Blackout Friday said:

I'm just talking about all the "big" situations I can think of lately in his career.  I don't know how to capture that in a statisic, its just my feeling.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Umm...okay, he's definitely usually clutch in RBI situations, but these are the Indians we're talking about.

Do just enough to get by.

That's why even winning the first game of the DHer yesterday was a shocker.   Maybe they relaxed and let off the gas too much until the last couple of innings tonight.

Thankfully, we have Lance Lynn going tomorrow, he and Rodon have been our true stoppers so far this early season.

Lynns on 3 days rest, at least the bullpen will be fresh 

Just now, vilehoopster said:

Nicky Delmonico, Daniel Palka, and now  . . . . Yermin Mercedes. 

We've seen this show before. 

Yeah, its definitely trending in that direction.  Give it another 2-3 weeks and I'll say his April was a mirage.  He started sooo hot that he has a lot of cushion for his numbers to fall.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Bieber

Cy Civale

T.McKenzie (who just came back from the minors)

Quantrill

Hentges

OUT/Minors:   Plesac, Logan Allen

Yea those last 3 are not good. At all.

McKenzie isn’t even close to being ready to be a “3”.... And we complain about Cease on here. Watching McKenzie every 5th day would have this message board deleted from existence.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Jose is going to rip it up as the weather get hotter... and carry the offense on his back. Hopefully, with Eloy Jimenez and/or Luis Robert back in the line-up by August/September, Abreu won’t feel the need to press as much, during RBI producing scenarios. Remember, José is the reigning MVP, back-to-back AL RBI Leader and AL Player of the week. I’m confident he’ll be just fine.

6 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Yeah, its definitely trending in that direction.  Give it another 2-3 weeks and I'll say his April was a mirage.  He started sooo hot that he has a lot of cushion for his numbers to fall.

Am I correct? I heard this on the game last night: Yermin hasn't had a hit since last Thursday??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mharkins said:

Jose is going to rip it up as the weather get hotter... and carry the offense on his back. Hopefully, with Eloy Jimenez and/or Luis Robert back in the line-up by August/September, Abreu won’t feel the need to press as much, during RBI producing scenarios. Remember, José is the reigning MVP, back-to-back AL RBI Leader and AL Player of the week. I’m confident he’ll be just fine.

What happens to Jose in October when it gets cold again??

It must be all that damn jewelry weighing him down in the batters box. 🤣🤡😇

Not surprised to see the league making standard adjustments to take away his strengths, while exploiting his patterns and weaknesses. It’s all going to come down to his ability (or lack thereof) to make the necessary adjustments. Yermin’s next 3-4 weeks will be interesting to witness. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

What happens to Jose in October when it gets cold again??

I think he’ll be just fine. José’s only playoff performance had absolutely nothing to do with Oakland’s early October weather.

Just now, mharkins said:

It must be all that damn jewelry weighing him down in the batters box. 🤣🤡😇

Not surprised to see the league making standard adjustments to take away his strengths, while exploiting his patterns and weaknesses. It’s all going to come down to his ability (or lack thereof) to make the necessary adjustments. Yermin’s next 3-4 weeks will be interesting to witness. 

Yeah, that definitely part of it. To me the timing mechanisms he uses in his swing are a little off, too. He’s a little late planting his front foot. That said, he hit two balls really well today and got a little unlucky. 

• Like 1