White Sox power outage

Chimpton

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You can use whatever indicator you want. There are an equal amount of times in the World Series you listed where the higher offensive fWAR teams lost as there are times where the team with the higher HR totals lost. 3 each

The more pertinent question is how many of the teams in the world series got there by being 14th in the AL or 24th or worse in all of baseball. You listed 14 teams in 7 world Series. Only the outlier KC teams of 2014 and 2015 were able to do that and they had some of the best defense in baseball for those years by far and a stellar bullpen while they played in a much larger ballpark that suited their team better. If you had gone back only as far as 2016 there would be no teams listed who were as low as the Sox are now and the Sox play in a HR friendly park.

As far as being unhappy goes by the bolded Going forward I'm sorry if I cannot share Dick Allens view about just being happy with winning after so many losing seasons . All that meant was I won't be happy with winning if it means  I should forget about serious runs at a World Series victory. Can you imagine if Rick Hahn said just be happy we are winning now after so many losing seasons without throwing in the competing for multiple championships .

I don't think many here would be happy with that statement. Ok just be happy and hold hands and sing Kumbayah because we are winning more than we are losing but don't be expecting any World Series appearances. Maybe that works for you I don't know.

The reason for listing the offensive WAR and HR was that teams with high WAR contributions from their offense tend to make it to the World Series. 7 of the teams weren't in the Top 10 in HR, all but 2 weren't in the Top 10 in WAR.

Re: the happiness factor - thank you for clarifying and yes, I concur. But I also think we have plenty of internal power that's been hit hard in aberration of a season where the Sox would really have no business being where they are. They shouldn't have the 4th best offense in baseball without Eloy, Robert, Madrigal, Grandal (himself having one of the most extreme statistical years I've ever seen), Moncada battling a hand injury, Abreu not-in MVP mode, an A-Ball-to-the-Majors 1B-turned-LF, and a rotating cast of minor league signings and Knights. Last year showed that the offense was contagious with this team - heck even the last stretch of games showed that. So reinject Eloy and Robert and see what happens, and yes, someone like Escobar. 

The point I'm getting at is that power isn't the end-all be-all for this club and they won't ride-or-die by with an Escobar or Gallo acquisiton.

2 hours ago, Quin said:

The reason for listing the offensive WAR and HR was that teams with high WAR contributions from their offense tend to make it to the World Series. 7 of the teams weren't in the Top 10 in HR, all but 2 weren't in the Top 10 in WAR.

Re: the happiness factor - thank you for clarifying and yes, I concur. But I also think we have plenty of internal power that's been hit hard in aberration of a season where the Sox would really have no business being where they are. They shouldn't have the 4th best offense in baseball without Eloy, Robert, Madrigal, Grandal (himself having one of the most extreme statistical years I've ever seen), Moncada battling a hand injury, Abreu not-in MVP mode, an A-Ball-to-the-Majors 1B-turned-LF, and a rotating cast of minor league signings and Knights. Last year showed that the offense was contagious with this team - heck even the last stretch of games showed that. So reinject Eloy and Robert and see what happens, and yes, someone like Escobar. 

The point I'm getting at is that power isn't the end-all be-all for this club and they won't ride-or-die by with an Escobar or Gallo acquisiton.

I understand power isn't the end all be all but I also understand  that I want to make sure that if Eloy , Robert , Grandal, Moncada and Abreu can not come back to their previous level of power production I'd like a back up plan or 2 before the trade deadline. I 'll be looking  closely at Robert's speed since I think his injury was a lot more severe than Eloy's as far as affecting his legs as opposed to his chest like Eloy. He was damn good in his 100 or so AB's before he got injured hitting a lot of doubles and a triple along with his 1 HR and a batting average fueled good OBP.

Also concerned that Grandal will take longer than 4-6 weeks . The thread title was never changed but because of the tendon tear, it changed the prognosis to returning before the end of the regular season which seemed like an 10-12 week time period. We are still lacking an official updated timeline but unofficially it's before Oct. 3. now.

• Like 1

I can't find the thread but I polled soxtalk on who we thought would be tops in most offensive categories and eloy was tops in almost all except average with tim.

We've had so many nights of just a guy carrying us, hard to remember how nice it is when you have 3-4 clicking at the same time.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I can't find the thread but I polled soxtalk on who we thought would be tops in most offensive categories and eloy was tops in almost all except average with tim.

We've had so many nights of just a guy carrying us, hard to remember how nice it is when you have 3-4 clicking at the same time.

I remember that my bold prediction was that Gavin Sheets (or Adolfo) would launch some bombs while playing RF. I did not think Sheets would be coming through in the clutch and be a guy that we're looking to to win games.