9/9 Sox at A's game thread 2:37 first pitch

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

The flat out punting of the last game of nearly every series the last two months is very annoying. It’s a big reason they’ve lost more series in the 2nd half than they did in the 1st half.

We need to start building a win culture and momentum into the playoffs.  These punted games are so deflating. Our bench has been exposed as AAA quality at best. 

Edited by hankchifan
Spelling
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

The flat out punting of the last game of nearly every series the last two months is very annoying. It’s a big reason they’ve lost more series in the 2nd half than they did in the 1st half.

But they have lost zero ground.

It all comes down down to after the 60 game season last year they are prioritizing health first and foremost with an 11 game lead.  I hate the shit that we have to watch but I am not certain it can be faulted. 

If Moncada can't hit right handed currently than what other options were there for today? 

4 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Not hitting home runs and not playing small ball either is a formula for failure.  Our backups/bench is really bad.  Should have invested some resources in position players not just on relievers.

All backups are generally bad. That’s why they’re backups. Decent chance trading for more depth position players would have just meant getting mad at different names.

I’m with you on the lack of homers though. That’s frustrating.

9 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

yeah this better work in the long run.. because i cant fucking stand it.

We can’t continually play scared.  Scared of players getting hurt or tired.  These guys are being paid millions to perform and not sit on the bench, while a bunch of scrubs get playing time.  We need to start putting winning streaks together and momentum towards the playoff.  These Sunday line ups games are dead, no excitement whatsoever ever.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The offense is just dead right now.

It's easy to be dead when there's only 3 real hitters in it right now. If Robert, Abreu, and Grandal don't get it done, nobody else will. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, hankchifan said:

We can’t continually play scared.  Scared of players getting hurt or tired.  These guys are being paid millions to perform and not sit on the bench, while a bunch of scrubs get playing time.  We need to start putting winning streaks together and momentum towards the playoff.  These Sunday line ups games are dead, no excitement whatsoever ever.

I don't think it matters in baseball.  momentum is tmr's starting pitcher.  that said it's annoying as fuck and has killed any interest I have in watching until October now that other sports are going.

Just like they played scared to end last year. The strategy seems to be just hope the Indians lose enough games to not have to try the last month.

This is a terrible take.  We have a lot of guys with nagging to minor injuries.  That isn't playing scared, that is rewarding yourself for getting a 10 game lead.  Its smart.  There is no good reason to not take advantage of that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't think it matters in baseball.  momentum is tmr's starting pitcher.  that said it's annoying as fuck and has killed any interest I have in watching until October now that other sports are going.

It’s become a feeling of doom, and a self fulfilling prophecy that we are going to punt and lose so many games.