ALDS Game 1- White Sox/Astros, 3:07 GAME THREAD

flavum

26 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I think they should just let Rodon walk and somehow find a way to add Kopech to the rotation, which I don’t know how they are going to do it. 

The problem is even if Kopech is lights out as a starter next seaon, he is going to have the same innings problem Rodon had this year.

Talking about next year is premature. Sox can tie the series tomorrow and win it all. ... As far as improvements to the roster? Geez, you don't want to trade the guys who made you so confident about the future in the first place.

Look not all postseasons can be won with just one loss (2005). Sox either learned a lot today about how they have to scrap, claw, lift and pull and win, or they didn't and the offseason will be here. No need to panic on a team that figures to win this pathetic division for some years to come.

Again, last year the Sox beat the A's in game one and got smoked. It's time the team sucks it up and some postseason heroes emerge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Talking about next year is premature. Sox can tie the series tomorrow and win it all. ... As far as improvements to the roster? Geez, you don't want to trade the guys who made you so confident about the future in the first place.

Look not all postseasons can be won with just one loss (2005). Sox either learned a lot today about how they have to scrap, claw, lift and pull and win, or they didn't and the offseason will be here. No need to panic on a team that figures to win this pathetic division for some years to come.

Again, last year the Sox beat the A's in game one and got smoked. It's time the team sucks it up and some postseason heroes emerge.

I just hope if it goes to game 5, they skip Lynn and go to Gio. They have been beating up on Lynn far before he became a White  Sox. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, fathom said:

Trading Kimbrel this offseason seems like a no brainer

Once again, this Kimbrel trade made no sense when we needed a RF instead, and we already had a closer.  It was sold as we needed him for the playoffs. He was not needed in first game, and may not even pitch in the playoffs.  A good position player contributes every game.  We had to put up with a miserably poor defensive RF with Goodwin, Leury, Sheets, Vaughn.  A shame.

• Thanks 2

Did Lynne Deserve this start?? Yes he did. Should TLR have started him in Houston with an 0-5 record against the Stros?? it looks like NO. Maybe GIO should of started Game 1?? 

Being a Monday Morning Quarterback is easy after the game is played. 

If Gio comes up big tomorrow and we win, all will be forgotten and we have homefield. Honestly I did not expect a 2 game sweep in Houston. Was i hoping for one, absolutely!! 

their Lance was their best they have. Our Lance is the best we have. But our Next 2 or 3 pitchers are better than their next 2 or 3 pitchers. 

We can win tomorrow and Sunday. Our offence is too good to held down like this. Abreu will be healthier. Yasmani will be better. 

Tomorrow will be our day. Rodon or Cease for game 4?? I say Rodon for 5 and than Kopech if not overused tomorrow. 

7 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Once again, this Kimbrel trade made no sense when we needed a RF instead, and we already had a closer.  It was sold as we needed him for the playoffs. He was not needed in first game, and may not even pitch in the playoffs.  A good position player contributes every game.  We had to put up with a miserably poor defensive RF with Goodwin, Leury, Sheets, Vaughn.  A shame.

I agree and that’s why he’s gone next year but there’s still a good chance he will pitch in the playoffs this year. I just hope they go after Marte in the offseason.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The problem is even if Kopech is lights out as a starter next seaon, he is going to have the same innings problem Rodon had this year.

Lopez is arb eligible, and he can certainly get another shot after his work this year.

45 minutes ago, soulfly said:

It certainly does matter who they get back, seeing as what they gave up to get him. 

What happens if the CBA hardens the cap level and 3 months after you pick up his option he becomes unmovable until the trade deadline? It may not be likely, but it’s a nonzero risk.

8 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Did Lynne Deserve this start?? Yes he did. Should TLR have started him in Houston with an 0-5 record against the Stros?? it looks like NO. Maybe GIO should of started Game 1?? 

If Gio comes up big tomorrow and we win, all will be forgotten and we have homefield. Honestly I did not expect a 2 game sweep in Houston. Was i hoping for one, absolutely!! 

their Lance was their best they have. Our Lance is the best we have. But our Next 2 or 3 pitchers are better than their next 2 or 3 pitchers. 

We can win tomorrow and Sunday. Our offence is too good to held down like this. Abreu will be healthier. Yasmani will be better. 

Tomorrow will be our day. Rodon or Cease for game 4?? I say Rodon for 5 and than Kopech if not overused tomorrow. 

On the bright side, the team scored 1 run, so to win Gio would have had to pitch a shutout, which is unlikely.  At least they didn't waste a big performance by a staring pitcher. And now they have Gio for tomorrow where a win gets them the HFA everyone wanted.

41 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I just hope if it goes to game 5, they skip Lynn and go to Gio. They have been beating up on Lynn far before he became a White  Sox. 

I hear you on this point. On the other hand, if u do funky stuff, you get RickyR results in the postseason.

Today really sucked.  For some reason, I can deal with all of my favorite teams losing in the postseason except the Sox just wreck me mentally when they lose.  I think last years debacle against Oakland ruined me for good, that game 3 was the worst sports game I've ever watched and I can't stomach tough losses from them any longer.

With that being said and attempting to be optimistic, McCullers needed to pitch absolutely lights out, with the Sox making the weakest contact We've seen from them in two years while Lynn was absolutely brutal with no command to win 6-1.  The Sox got outplayed up and down but this was not a blowout by any means and they were threatening at one point with Yaz up and two on in the 8th.  One big hit there and that could have changed the momentum majorly.   This was a "welcome to the playoffs" win by the Astros but their bullpen is hittable.  McCullers won't pitch every game.  Gio has had success against them.  I'd argue that if we were to take one in Houston, a game 2 win would be much better than a game 1 win to give us momentum going back home where we know it'll be raucous.  Let's get this one tomorrow. 

7-4 Sox win. 

Edited by Chi Town Sox
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Being that I was absent from the board today… was this thread a complete shit show as I expect it was?

I didn't think it was much worse than any loss to be honest.  Hope you guys had fun at your get together.  Did the game seem like it was 5 hours long to you...it did to me.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Still have a decent chance this year, but the Astros were far more talented than Oakland this year or last.

47 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

It’s not Monday Morning QBing if you state Giolito is the Ace and should start Game 1 before the series.

Tony’s mindset was Rodon is a ?, so Lynn could pitch Game 4 on short rest and have a better shot of doing well at home. That’s why he was talking about short rest yesterday during the press conference. To me, if Rodon is a ? or a no go, you go Kopech / Lopez / Bullpen in Game 4, and come back with Lucas on Game 5 (after a Game 1) 

They still can do this, but he would have had 5 days rest instead of four, and Lynn can start Game 1 of the next series against teams he’s had better success against. I can’t see Tony skipping Lynn for Lucas in Game 5 now, after Lynn pitched Game 1, whereas you don’t have to skip Lynn if he pitches Game 2. Your now forced for either Lynn short rest for Game 4, or back in Houston where he has sucked.

Also, if the Sox win Game 1 with Lucas (and he goes 6 +), you can be more aggressive with the Bullpen in Game 2. Definitely pull Lynn before Brantley, after it was clear he just didn’t have it today and the Sox needing to keep it close.

You also can’t panic with this small ball bullshit and play your infield in in an 1-0 game in the third. Yoan should have gone to first, but playing in forces a mindset that you need to go home, because that’s what the manager wants, because that is why he has you playing in. If it’s late in a one run game early, that’s one thing, there should have been no desperation in the 3rd inning of a one run game.  Ricky would have been crucified for doing that today.

29 minutes ago, wegner said:

I didn't think it was much worse than any loss to be honest.  Hope you guys had fun at your get together.  Did the game seem like it was 5 hours long to you...it did to me.

Yea seemed long but unfortunately I had to deal with an unruly client and site launch that occurred today while there… so couldn’t just relax and enjoy the company / game freely.

🤦‍♂

6 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Yea seemed long but unfortunately I had to deal with an unruly client and site launch that occurred today while there… so couldn’t just relax and enjoy the company / game freely.

🤦‍♂

Better day/game tomorrow 

Gotta work but will check in here for an unbiased, sober review of what's going on in the game.

This game sucked but I'm not too upset...it was just a good old fashioned ass kickin...like someone said we won game 1 last playoffs and still were bounced early.  Probably need to win behind Gio though to have a chance.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Better day/game tomorrow 

Gotta work but will check in here for an unbiased, sober review of what's going on in the game.

This game sucked but I'm not too upset...it was just a good old fashioned ass kickin...like someone said we won game 1 last playoffs and still were bounced early.  Probably need to win behind Gio though to have a chance.

This particular series will in large part come down to Gio, Cease, Rodon, Kopech, Kimbrel, Hendricks, and our defense.

Being that Houson has Lynn’s number - we really need the rest of the key players holding the ball to man up and preform to their highest level.

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

This particular series will in large part come down to Gio, Cease, Rodon, Kopech, Kimbrel, Hendricks, and our defense.

Being that Houson has Lynn’s number - we really need the rest of the key players holding the ball to man up and preform to their highest level.

I think you're right.  Houston is clearly just a bad match for us against Lynn.  I think we can get to their bullpen.  Would like to jump out to an early lead in Game 2.

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

I think you're right.  Houston is clearly just a bad match for us against Lynn.  I think we can get to their bullpen.  Would like to jump out to an early lead in Game 2.

We really need Eloy to start seeing the ball too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

What happens if the CBA hardens the cap level and 3 months after you pick up his option he becomes unmovable until the trade deadline? It may not be likely, but it’s a nonzero risk.

That's very true.  The CBA could wreak all kinds of havoc.  Just have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, Chi Town Sox said:

Today really sucked.  For some reason, I can deal with all of my favorite teams losing in the postseason except the Sox just wreck me mentally when they lose.  I think last years debacle against Oakland ruined me for good, that game 3 was the worst sports game I've ever watched and I can't stomach tough losses from them any longer.

With that being said and attempting to be optimistic, McCullers needed to pitch absolutely lights out, with the Sox making the weakest contact We've seen from them in two years while Lynn was absolutely brutal with no command to win 6-1.  The Sox got outplayed up and down but this was not a blowout by any means and they were threatening at one point with Yaz up and two on in the 8th.  One big hit there and that could have changed the momentum majorly.   This was a "welcome to the playoffs" win by the Astros but their bullpen is hittable.  McCullers won't pitch every game.  Gio has had success against them.  I'd argue that if we were to take one in Houston, a game 2 win would be much better than a game 1 win to give us momentum going back home where we know it'll be raucous.  Let's get this one tomorrow. 

7-4 Sox win. 

Good post. The game was long, and brutally boring. Typical game in lift and pull or K era. No reason that thing should have taken 3:45 or whatever it was. Baseball has a huge problem and nobody seems to care about pace of play. I guess the glorious home runs are the future of the game. ... I imagine the hardest thing in sports to do is to identify and blast a sinker or slider. Hitters get set up with the rare fastball and just can't make contact. It's pretty maddening. ... How bout the shift on Moncada. it seems almost a fineable offense to not plop down a half swing bunt to vacated left side of the infield, but players won't do it, so whatever. I'd think that would drive old school Tony crazy.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

People are wacky. I got the postgame show on Sirius radio somehow and some caller said because Lynn sucks versus Houston, Dallas Keuchel (sp?) should have started. And he was furious Moncada batted second.

Moncada got on base twice. And Dallas for whatever reason couldn't strike out Fathom.

Luckily Conner the host gave the caller a wake-up call and ripped his Keuchel suggestion. Geez.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1