The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Everyone meaning the players. The owners definitely want to limit this as much as possible. It looks like the owners are giving in somewhat with raising the minimum salary. But I haven't read anything about service time changing or getting the players to FA faster in any of the proposed deals. Raising the minimum wage is much cheaper for the owners than getting the players to FA faster.

It was in there early, but was pulled out by the players.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean over the last 10 days the owners have more than met the players in the middle on the core economic issues.  

Agreed. But I haven't seen anything as far as the service time manipulation and reaching FA faster concepts are concerned as he stated.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

If it became crystal clear that owners wouldn't get expanded playoff money this season (likely with TV deals already in place) if they stonewalled any longer, I would tend to agree.

I also can't help but notice the timing followed some new revenue leaks from the owners side that probably made it a lot hard to cry poor.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Were games canceled because of yesterday’s deadline?

Not yet, yesterday's deadline was bumped to today.  Though waiting much longer it will be difficult to get 162 in, which potentially jeopardizes expanded playoff dollars this season.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Agreed. But I haven't seen anything as far as the service time manipulation and reaching FA faster concepts are concerned as he stated.

Its been stated that Players who finish top 2 in ROY get full years of service, and teams who have players who finish in top of ROY races that started the year on the MLB roster get bonus draft picks.

I'd say those two things help curb service time manipulation. 

Its been stated that Players who finish top 2 in ROY get full years of service, and teams who have players who finish in top of ROY races that started the year on the MLB roster get bonus draft picks.

God I hate using the media given awards as the determinative factor in this shit.  Has to be a better way.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wonder what players counter offer was.  Hopefully they just took their gains on the CBT and offered something reasonable like $50M on the bonus pool.  Otherwise this isn't getting solved today.  Still really like the concept of using CBT tax dollars to go towards pre-arb bonus pool on top of $40 or $50M base amount.  Seems like a great compromise.   

The latter does. The former gets them to FA sooner. The owners did give in a little for a couple of players per year.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

God I hate using the media given awards as the determinative factor in this shit.  Has to be a better way.

Yeah I hear ya but in terms of things I am concerned about, that is about the bottom of the barrel.  Do agree there is some potential for funny business if the process isn't changed. 

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I think it's just a way to get a couple of the best players more service time. If they do the top 3 they are usually the best players at the time.

Wonder what players counter offer was.  Hopefully they just took their gains on the CBT and offered something reasonable like $50M on the bonus pool.  Otherwise this isn't getting solved today.  Still really like the concept of using CBT tax dollars to go towards pre-arb bonus pool on top of $40 or $50M base amount.  Seems like a great compromise.   

You can always tell who owns the media by the amount of leaks relative to each side.

36 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't know.  For 97 or however many days this damn thing has been dragging on the owners had zero interest in negotiating anything but now all of a sudden they're willing to negotiate everything.  Sure we'll raise the cbt limits!  Sure we'll raise the min salary!  Sure we'll raise the pre-arb pool!  You want us to remove draft pick compensation...sure we'll do that too! You get a car!  You get a car!  You get a car! I'm not buying it. 

A fair amount of skepticism is definitely warranted after the way they've behaved all winter.  I'm definitely rationalizing their actions.  I know I shouldn't let myself hope anything is close but here I am.

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Woof.  This isn't getting solved today.  Players are being greedy.  Sorry for those that disagree, but they've got a really good deal on the table here.  Once far far far better than the existing CBA.  

• Like 2