The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Reinventing the game should take a few months. It's an accomplishment they have come this far, this fast. No need to rush these decisions.

Oh man.  If only there was some sort of a way that these parties could have talked seriously before now.  It's such a tragedy.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Take a tweet like this.

It lists exactly two topics out of all of them and the parties just seemingly coincidentally they happen to be really close on these two things.  There is still a whole laundry list of things out there that these parties aren't this close on.  These are also no where close to the only things being discussed.  Topics such as the international draft, the draft lottery, new game play rules adoption, mimimum wages, and the final level of the CBT are just a few of the things that are ignored here, but dang Bob makes it seem like the players are owners are sooooo close.

I haven't seen it reported anywhere that these things are considered difficult hurdles to a deal.  CBT and pre-arb pool have consistently been mentioned as two of the biggest issues and the sides are getting closer.  No doubt they are discussing lots of other things, but other than the international draft, nothing that should get one side to walk away from the table.

37 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The players got bent in the last deal leading to them losing like 3% of the total revenue share and it further destroyed the mid-level player. It also further promoted tanking and anti-competitive practices.

What does that have to do with this deal? If the players get things back, it's still a loss for the players?

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think people are really underselling comfort when getting acclimated to a new culture. People now make their decision based on money AND relationships. That comfort or offerings of assistance with assimilation are huge for any international player. It's not all about baseball. I think that's the major component here. 

Makes sense. However, that also promotes abuse and corruption of very young kids and their parent who aren't used to that type of business culture.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

What does that have to do with this deal? If the players get things back, it's still a loss for the players?

They have gone from 62% of revenue to 47% with the most recent years being the lowest.  It has everything to do with these negotiations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Makes sense. However, that also promotes abuse and corruption of very young kids and their parent who aren't used to that type of business culture.

I'm not at all defending the current system. I'm merely pointing out that the freedom to chose where to play matters much more to a player entering a culture and society that is vastly different than their own.

32 minutes ago, wegner said:

This may be a stupid question, but how would an international draft deal with players from Cuba who I believe still have to defect to get outta there?  

I’d guess much like they do w/ INT signings.  Up to a certain age you have to enter the draft, but if you’re 25 or whatever the age is you’re free to sign as a FA.  I’d hope it’s more like 22 than 25 though. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Reinventing the game should take a few months. It's an accomplishment they have come this far, this fast. No need to rush these decisions.

There is for the complexity of the negotiations. If more games are cancelled, then you need to add how many games the players are going to be paid for and how much service time the players will get for this year. The owners will ask the players to give up something to get 162 games paid and the whole process starts over again.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You implied the players should accept because it was better than the last deal. My point is the bar is pretty low if you're using that as your baseline.

Still doesn't mean this isn't a better deal. I never implied the players should accept it. I stated that Rongey can't say "The owners will win this negotiations no matter how it turns out. And don't let them tell you differently."

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

There is for the complexity of the negotiations. If more games are cancelled, then you need to add how many games the players are going to be paid for and how much service time the players will get for this year. The owners will ask the players to give up something to get 162 games paid and the whole process starts over again.

This didn't have to be the plan, but the ownership group quite literally played out the clock to create urgency instead of negotiating with the same urgency months ago.  We didn't have to be here, but this was the ownership groups strategy from Day one when they locked out the players and then didn't talk to players for six weeks.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm not at all defending the current system. I'm merely pointing out that the freedom to chose where to play matters much more to a player entering a culture and society that is vastly different than their own.

That could be the issue. However, I would bet it's more the money issue.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Still doesn't mean this isn't a better deal. I never implied the players should accept it. I stated that Rongey can't say "The owners will win this negotiations no matter how it turns out. And don't let them tell you differently."

I know I kicked you in the balls before, but I helped you up afterwards, so its now a better deal!

33 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

So they want to tell us they can’t get to a deal from this?  So much closer than last week.

Soooooo are the owners expected to counter yet again today?  This all seems so solvable at this point.  Continue to repeat it but players need to realize they're going to need to agree to $50M max on pre arb pool or there is not going to be a season for awhiiiiilllleee. CBT differences almost look like a nothing burger at this point. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

This didn't have to be the plan, but the ownership group quite literally played out the clock to create urgency instead of negotiating with the same urgency months ago.  We didn't have to be here, but this was the ownership groups strategy from Day one when they locked out the players and then didn't talk to players for six weeks.

No but that's where it is and you can't change it. That's the negotiation leverage the owners have and they are using it.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I know I kicked you in the balls before, but I helped you up afterwards, so its now a better deal!

It's all about the negotiations. If the players really harbor resentment from their last agreement, then we won't see baseball this year. And that's their right.

Please, we’ve known an international draft was likely for …what 6 years? 

If the players didn’t agree to a CAPPED budget I’d think it’s reasonable but this system is horrendous.

The players are being dumb, and the reporters are lapping it up due to their own experiences in a shittier system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They have gone from 62% of revenue to 47% with the most recent years being the lowest.  It has everything to do with these negotiations.

The players had a 62% share of the revenue after the last deal? How does that equate to them getting kicked in the balls and the last deal being bad. That was a heck of a deal for the players.