The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

To think David fucking Ortiz is having significant pull on the international draft component is so ducked up. 

The guy is probably exploiting kids down there for MLB. Probably why he got shot.

Let me guess, he’s going to also say he’s against PED testing. 

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If you want to assume all the leaks are complete bullshit, sure.  IF you assume its not and the CBT is up to $230M increasing to $240M range in 5 years, pre-arb pool up to $40M, player salaries up to $700k and increasing ~$15-25k a year, which are all things that have been widely reported.  I think its safe to say the players are being greedy fucks at this point.  Could it all be a ploy in the media to turn the narrative and MLB is still where they were a week ago in Florida on all these stances?  Sure, theoretically possible.  But I doubt that is the case. 

Players have hit a stand up triple and they're going to the inside the parker with no outs. 

Who says they're bullshit. Theres a shit ton of nuance and fine print in any deal. To say something is a great deal because of a couple leaked components is laughable imo.

What bugs the shit out of me is the two sides meet face to face and discuss stuff, then one side leaves a written proposal with the other.  The receiving party reads the proposal and says, "Damn, this sucks."  They then go to the media and say there are huge gaps, a counter proposal may not even be coming, a vote won't even be necessary, etc.  Discuss this shit when you're meeting in person.  Say, "Here's where you are, here's where we're at.  What can you give, and what can we give?"  This is all theater to make the other side look bad.  They both look like assholes right now.

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

How are adults agreeing to contracts for 12 and13 years a good thing in today's day and age?  I'm still amazed that there are no issues with this. 

This.

This should be a very bad look for MLB. 

Again, I am not well versed in this area, but from what I've been reading so far it seems exploitation exists badly under the current system. A draft could help this significantly? This I am on the owners side for.

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

How are adults agreeing to contracts for 12 and13 years a good thing in today's day and age?  I'm still amazed that there are no issues with this. 

Agreed. A draft of 16 years olds seems better. Maybe the 12 year olds are getting paid under the table to help the family and the players don't want that to stop. That's 4 years of payment the families wouldn't get. My pure speculation. Why else wouldn't the DR want the MLB clubs to leave the kids alone until a later date. 

Just now, ptatc said:

Agreed. A draft of 16 years olds seems better. Maybe the 12 year olds are getting paid under the table to help the family and the players don't want that to stop. That's 4 years of payment the families wouldn't get. My pure speculation. Why else wouldn't the DR want the MLB clubs to leave the kids alone until a later date. 

I don't get why the international players even get their own draft.  The NHL and NBA do just fine with an all encompassing draft.  Set the eligibility terms of each set of players and then subject everyone to one entry draft.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Well you know what side Rongey is on. The whole deal looks better than the last CBA on the surface. I guess if you say the owners didn't get everything they wanted, it s an owners win.

The players got bent in the last deal leading to them losing like 3% of the total revenue share and it further destroyed the mid-level player. It also further promoted tanking and anti-competitive practices.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That I understand. Going from FA even with a cap, to a draft can be intimidating. Hopefully, the owners are just using it as a negotiating chip and say, "OK we'll give up the idea of an international draft for X" and it's acceptable for the players.

I think people are really underselling comfort when getting acclimated to a new culture. People now make their decision based on money AND relationships. That comfort or offerings of assistance with assimilation are huge for any international player. It's not all about baseball. I think that's the major component here. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't get why the international players even get their own draft.  The NHL and NBA do just fine with an all encompassing draft.  Set the eligibility terms of each set of players and then subject everyone to one entry draft.

I think that it has to do with the living conditions in Latin America and that they want to pay the top kids earlier than at 18. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think that it has to do with the living conditions in Latin America and that they want to pay the top kids earlier than at 18. 

Then set the eligibility at 16.  The MLB already has different standards for college and high school kids.  It wouldn't be any different here.

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

This may be a stupid question, but how would an international draft deal with players from Cuba who I believe still have to defect to get outta there?  

If they would fall under the terms that now apply to the international market, they would be able to be eligible for the next available draft I would assume.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

50 mil pool, and up CBT by 1 million each year on MLB side and END THIS. 

I think, at least from what's being reported, if MLBPA agreed to the international draft MLB would come up more and get very close to the players' ask.  Otherwise, yeah, your suggestion makes complete sense.  If that's all that's holding up a deal, that is complete horseshit.

11 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

6 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

So they want to tell us they can’t get to a deal from this?  So much closer than last week.

These two tweets side by side are pretty funny.  Not sure how Heyman can read things the way he has.  There has been material progress and the sides are close.  But it does sound like MLB is going to have to abandon the international draft.

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

These two tweets side by side are pretty funny.  Not sure how Heyman can read things the way he has.  There has been material progress and the sides are close.  But it does sound like MLB is going to have to abandon the international draft.

I’ve seen where owners are pessimistic a deal gets done 

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think he makes a valid point in that the media manipulation that happens every time an owners office is made is impressive.  All of the good details flow out piece by piece until it feels like a tsunami of generosity is being ignored by the players.  Negotiations always seem to be going great and a deal is sooo close when the owners make an offer, if only the players drop their opposition to just this ONE little thing.

Then the rest of the story quietly drops after the players refute the quality of the offer, and things were never nearly as close as this handpicked media made it seem. 

I don't believe its any coincidence at all as to who is getting their details first, who is setting this tone, and that they seem to be the same ones who get the best breaking news during the course of a season as well.

8 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

So they want to tell us they can’t get to a deal from this?  So much closer than last week.

Take a tweet like this.

It lists exactly two topics out of all of them and the parties just seemingly coincidentally they happen to be really close on these two things.  There is still a whole laundry list of things out there that these parties aren't this close on.  These are also no where close to the only things being discussed.  Topics such as the international draft, the draft lottery, new game play rules adoption, mimimum wages, and the final level of the CBT are just a few of the things that are ignored here, but dang Bob makes it seem like the players are owners are sooooo close.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think he makes a valid point in that the media manipulation that happens every time an owners office is made is impressive.  All of the good details flow out piece by piece until it feels like a tsunami of generosity is being ignored by the players.  Negotiations always seem to be going great and a deal is sooo close when the owners make an offer, if only the players drop their opposition to just this ONE little thing.

Then the rest of the story quietly drops after the players refute the quality of the offer, and things were never nearly as close as this handpicked media made it seem. 

I don't believe its any coincidence at all as to who is getting their details first, who is setting this tone, and that they seem to be the same ones who get the best breaking news during the course of a season as well.

I get it. I just don't see it as an obvious owners win if the players get the raise in CBT and an increase in the minimum salary.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Take a tweet like this.

It lists exactly two topics out of all of them and the parties just seemingly coincidentally they happen to be really close on these two things.  There is still a whole laundry list of things out there that these parties aren't this close on.  These are also no where close to the only things being discussed.  Topics such as the international draft, the draft lottery, new game play rules adoption, mimimum wages, and the final level of the CBT are just a few of the things that are ignored here, but dang Bob makes it seem like the players are owners are sooooo close.

Bob doesn't know shit.

29 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That would be the best option too, I think

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Take a tweet like this.

Reinventing the game should take a few months. It's an accomplishment they have come this far, this fast. No need to rush these decisions.