The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

To be replaced by a similar puppet. Kuhn was the last semi talented commissioner that at least pretended to care about something other than ownership.

I wish a new plan with more player input in the commissioner office was possible 

I don’t think Manfred is going anywhere unfortunately.  I just think it’s really obvious that baseball would be better off with a strong commissioner and not a slimy shill who hates the game itself  as much as the owners do. 

18 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I agree. So why aren't owners asking those questions?

Just an educated guess - the owners don’t know or care enough about the business to do so. The current owners include a lot of trust fund babies, groups and individuals who bought in for the big investment return year after year, and owners who bought in as a vanity piece. There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of long term thinking or planning right now, beyond their annual profits. Remember how Jeter just resigned from the Marlins ownership group because he realized they really didn’t care about the baseball side of baseball and we’re using him as a pretty face?

13 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I don’t think Manfred is going anywhere unfortunately.  I just think it’s really obvious that baseball would be better off with a strong commissioner and not a slimy shill who hates the game itself  as much as the owners do. 

That's what I go thought an hour ago. Now I'm starting to think Manfred is running the show and the owners aren't really involved at all. You would think with billion dollar companies they would care and be involved but apparently not. 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

That's what I go thought an hour ago. Now I'm starting to think Manfred is running the show and the owners aren't really involved at all. You would think with billion dollar companies they would care and be involved but apparently not. 

I think they clearly care about their yearly profit. I’m not sure they care about how they get there.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

That was their proposal last night...just after the deadline, which is why MLB said, "Too late losers.  We're cancelling games!"

Yeah, but let’s be honest, if they wrap up a deal in the next couple days they will reinstate all games.  Cancelling games right now is just a really dumb negotiating tactic, although there is a point quickly approaching where you can’t un-cancel.  They need to figure this shit out and fast.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think they clearly care about their yearly profit. I’m not sure they care about how they get there.

Also, the increasing value of the franchise. Most won't make the real money on until they sell. 

38 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Assuming there aren’t other minor hang ups or gaps that haven’t been heavily reported out, I would agree.  The draft seems to be a bigger sticking point than I thought it would be, but if they can agree to hammer it out over the season while agreeing on the rest would could potentially have a deal in the very near future. 

I think minor gaps quickly get settled once the big ticket items like the intentional draft are in place.  No one wants to concede any further on the smaller items until then.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who knows?  The owners don’t design the negotiating strategy.

They have hundreds of millions invested. Companies worth billions. Hand pick a commissioner they all agree on. Then don't get involved in the strategy.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, but let’s be honest, if they wrap up a deal in the next couple days they will reinstate all games.  Cancelling games right now is just a really dumb negotiating tactic, although there is a point quickly approaching where you can’t un-cancel.  They need to figure this shit out and fast.

Anything longer than a week maybe and fitting 162 in becomes challenging.  I really hope there is a continued sense of urgency to hammer things out ASAP.  No more stalling and feet dragging, just get it done. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think minor gaps quickly get settled once the big ticket items like the intentional draft are in place.  No one wants to concede any further on the smaller items until then.

Up until this week, little was said about the International Draft being a "big ticket" issue. 

Everything was about the CBT, Bonus Pool, Minimum Wage, Expanded Playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Also, the increasing value of the franchise. Most won't make the real money on until they sell. 

I actually don’t see many of them thinking about this. How many franchises are more concerned with cutting costs every year than developing a fan base? Whether it’s protecting ludicrous blackout rules or selling off their stars before they hit FA to keep payrolls low, “short-term thinking” seems to dominate this league. 

Someone like Cohen who realizes that he can lose money every year and turn a massive profit by winning a title and being in the playoffs every year  with a New York franchise seems to be the exception that illustrates this difference.

It's like a divorced couple each publicly saying they love the kids more than the other person while not actually telling and showing the kids they love them.

MLBPA: We love the fans.  This is all for them.

MLB: Nuh uh!  We love the fans more.  We're looking out for them and stuff.

MLBPA: We hate you but love them!

MLB: You suck...but the fans rule!

21 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Anything longer than a week maybe and fitting 162 in becomes challenging.  I really hope there is a continued sense of urgency to hammer things out ASAP.  No more stalling and feet dragging, just get it done. 

Since it doesn't really affect Manfred, cancelling games isn't a problem. Maybe when the owners figure out what's been going on it will change. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I agree. So why aren't owners asking those questions?

They are. Everyone is just looking for a person to blame. The owners aren't idiots. They know more than Manfred the issues with cancelling games. They know they situation for each team. David Sampson, a previous exec with the Marlins under Loria was quoting the situation of each team from 2017 when he arranged the sale of the team. They all know all of it. They are just split between the high revenue and low revenue teams. This is where Manfred has failed. To try to get a consensus. Or at least 23 votes.

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I actually don’t see many of them thinking about this. How many franchises are more concerned with cutting costs every year than developing a fan base? Whether it’s protecting ludicrous blackout rules or selling off their stars before they hit FA to keep payrolls low, “short-term thinking” seems to dominate this league. 

Someone like Cohen who realizes that he can lose money every year and turn a massive profit by winning a title and being in the playoffs every year  with a New York franchise seems to be the exception that illustrates this difference.

Interesting discussion with David Sampson on the radio yesterday. He said that new owners can spend wildly for 5 years due to some depreciation, tax regulations. you don't see the real spending habits of the owners until after 5 years.