The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

39 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

And watch the free agent and trade frenzy start.

How many teams have deals in place, waiting to press the Go button?

Would not surprise me if there were quite a lot of under the table conversations happening.  Give me the frenzy already!

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So the MLB wants $200M over five years for pre-arb, and the players want $375.  Split the difference, and you are at $287.5M.  Start it at $50M in year one, and increase by $5M each year (50+55+60+65+70 = 300). That would lean a little more toward the players in terms of total dollars, but it would be much closer to what the MLB wants for an initial amount.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The biggest issue seems to be the union wants an increasing pool of money for pre-arb and the owners want a flat rate. Can't really split that.

True, but there has to be a middle ground there somewhere.  $55-60M flat or $45-50M escalating, something along those lines. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah, really no reason. I'll have what he's been taking.

He and Nightengale are directly connected to some subset of ownership or the MLB front office.  They are always first, and are always putting the pressure on players because everything is sooooo close.

37 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m not sure my body is ready for next 72 hours.  Why did that have to be when all the conference tournaments are rocking. 

This.  Needed to be productive this week and next knowing half to day and all of Thur and Fri next week are shot.  This isn't helping.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I love Keith Law

@Orn L. Yes. Manfred said when he got the Commissioner's job that he was determined to get an international draft. Now they're throwing it into CBA talks like it was an afterthought. He's always wanted this, and the reason is that it saves owners money. You should assume anything the owners present in CBA talks is there to reduce their spending on players, and work backwards from there.

This is somewhat irrelevant or stating the obvious. Of course anything the owners propose is for reducing costs. Just as anything the players propose is to increase salary and benefits for them.

37 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

So they're not close to a deal. Great. 

Jack - how many billions in total spend and we are down to like <$50M in total...probably closer to $30-$35M difference.  That is small potatoes at this point.  Not saying it gets done - but the whole burn it to the ground or x or y - it really is the key that both sides don't go back to their corners and start over. As long as they keep grinding forward - they will get there (but always a wildcard a group gets emotional and they take 1-2 steps back).   

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Jack - how many billions in total spend and we are down to like <$50M in total...probably closer to $30-$35M difference.  That is small potatoes at this point.  Not saying it gets done - but the whole burn it to the ground or x or y - it really is the key that both sides don't go back to their corners and start over. As long as they keep grinding forward - they will get there (but always a wildcard a group gets emotional and they take 1-2 steps back).   

The difference in the pre-arb pool is $175 million by itself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The $175 is numbers happening - that is taking the $25M and multiplying it by 5 years (plus a HIGH growth factor). But it is a per year basis of $25M (plus growth factor). That isn't that big when you talk about a concession (relative to total annual revenues).  My guess is it comes in around 50 but with a growth factor.