The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Then how about keeping the 5 round draft? Forty was ridiculous. I can't believe anyone thinks someone in the eighth round getting to choose what organization they play for is going to change the competitive balance of the league. 

Good compromise. 

I can be down with a 5 round draft, as long as all of the money isn't going just to the kids drafted. 

However, knowing that MLB wants to eliminate affiliated baseball doesn't sit well with me on that front. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You're not going to sign with the pirates, that's for sure.

Or with Cincinnati or Baltimore or Milwaukee.

Or if you're a pitcher, you'd never sign with Colorado. 

Yeah, not having a draft seems pretty stoopid.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Then how about keeping the 5 round draft? Forty was ridiculous. I can't believe anyone thinks someone in the eighth round getting to choose what organization they play for is going to change the competitive balance of the league. 

The length of a draft is a reasonable discussion to have.

But not having a draft at all would be stoopid.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If you are a top shortstop prospect are you going to sign with the Padres? Dodgers? 

I agree free agency is the biggest reason we have non competitive teams. But it is veteran, MLB ready players at their prime that is the problem. Some third round shortstop picking an organization that he has the best chance to advance in, or has a knack for developing shortstops, isn't going to be as big an issue as Seager moving. 

It would make a huge difference without the draft. Any team could have selected Seager and had him for 6 years. 

Without the draft he would have been there the whole time.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So only the top prospects are worthy of what you perceive to be an unfair and unjust system. Weird take.

Like I said, I'd prefer that competitive balance was maintained by the ability of the worst teams to offer these kids the most money, and a spending limit like the draft pool for the 1st 10 rounds. 

If they wanted to tell teams: This is the amount of money you have to spend on amateur talent this year, go spend it however you want. 

That would be the best way. The Yankees don't always get the best Latin American talent. Neither do the Dodgers. A lot of times, those guys sign elsewhere, for different reasons, be it financial or comfort with the coaches/org. 

Some kids will make a decision that is not entirely financially motivated, and I think they should be free to make that decision. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Texsox said:

So y'all are OK with free agents as long as the players gives their owners a few years of service at a couple hundred dollars a week in the minors and a couple years at minimum wage in MLB?  

I would like amateurs to be paid more. I wouldn't like the removal of a draft. Remove the limits on slot spending if you want. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Pandemic, an ugly WAR getting started by Russia, a Melting Economy ..... Meanwhile Owners and the Union can't get off their pissing contest. 

Zero sense of reality. 

Fuck them both. 

Deaths and infections from the Pandemic are falling and life is getting back to normal.  Feels great.

Ukraine is hanging in there while economic sanctions take hold in Ruzzia. The latest news is that Ukraine forces have captured enemy tanks and armored vehicles and are using them against the invaders.  If the Ukraine army can hang in there a while longer maybe Putin's regime gets taken down. Let's hope.

The economy? The deficit last year actually fell. By $360 bn and at that rate  is on on track to  fall by >$1T this yr Unemployment is low and new housing starts are way up in most of the Chgo area.Restaurants are filled again and people are spending.

I am also optimistic about an imminent resolution of the baseball lockout as well. Baseball will be back, Fyk yes!

Edited by tray

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I would like amateurs to be paid more. I wouldn't like the removal of a draft. Remove the limits on slot spending if you want. 

I completely understand the merits of a draft for competitive balance. 

I want Amateurs to get paid more too, that is the whole point. 

I don't like the idea of surplus value as I view it as exploitation. 

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Bit then you go back to teams passing on the best players because the agents have a deal with the Yankees to pay more than the team picking first.

That's what used to happen all the time.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Bit then you go back to teams passing on the best players because the agents have a deal with the Yankees to pay more than the team picking first.

That's what used to happen all the time.

It's really simple, Anyone should meet the kid's price. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's really simple, Anyone should meet the kid's price. 

Jack, if "should" is part of your viewpoint, it isn't an argument. Its a wish.

And it isn't really simple. The best talents would overwhelmingly go to the biggest pocketed teams, and/or the most marketable, if there was no draft.

6 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

And it isn't really simple. The best talents would overwhelmingly go to the biggest pocketed teams, and/or the most marketable, if there was no draft.

If instead of of having the draft, they had the 10 round pool meaning the most you could spend on your top 10 contracts given out this season, and the first round pick slot value being the maximum amount that you could spend on any one player........do you really think that players would give up $4M to sign with the Yankees instead of the Pirates? 

But lets say, for example, someone like Druw Jones likes the hitting philosophy of The Rangers, and would rather sign with Texas than Pittsburgh, and he's willing to give up the difference in available money to go somewhere where he's more comfortable......he should be allowed to make that decision. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

If instead of of having the draft, they had the 10 round pool meaning the most you could spend on your top 10 contracts given out this season, and the first round pick slot value being the maximum amount that you could spend on any one player........do you really think that players would give up $4M to sign with the Yankees instead of the Pirates? 

Sure, if they had an agreement to quickly extend his contract, etc.  

37 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If you are a top shortstop prospect are you going to sign with the Padres? Dodgers? 

I agree free agency is the biggest reason we have non competitive teams. But it is veteran, MLB ready players at their prime that is the problem. Some third round shortstop picking an organization that he has the best chance to advance in, or has a knack for developing shortstops, isn't going to be as big an issue as Seager moving. 

Except in the Dodgers' case, they can replace him with someone even better in Trea Turner...

10 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Or you have the case now where many top prospects are going to a HBCU because of Deion Sanders...or somewhere with innovative OC or QB coach giving them arguably their best path to the pros, like a Lincoln Riley type.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

So back to the actual topic....it will look quite poorly if/when they cancel Jackie Robinson’s 75th Anniversary.  That day is next up on the calendar of scheduled games.

Agreed.