Sox want Rodon back

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, yes?  All depends on the budget Jerry has signed off on.  Realistically, failing to offer Rodon a QO means one of two things.  1). The budget is going to be significantly limited this year and we simply can’t afford him with all our other needs.  2). The Sox actually want a starter who is more likely to provide 170+ innings and be a factor in the postseason and are concerned Rodon will accept the QO.  Honestly, as much as I want Rodon back, a part of me sees the logic of the latter, especially when there are some good starters who might get shorter term deals.  Will be interesting to see what they do with the QO in the next day.

How many of them can pitch better than Rodon did the first half?

I have a feeling we’re going to go the budget conscious way in the first half, then wait for another Scherzer to become available at the deadline.

I’d almost rather they gave Verlander a one year deal where he could make $25-30 with incentives, plus some type of mutually appealing option year for 2023.

Because the odds of producing another TOR starter internally the next two years look like somewhere between slim and none/zero.  

That said, the White Sox have never offered such a deal for someone to pitch just one season at even $18-20 million…

Edited by caulfield12

The more I think about it, the Sox will probably extend the QO. If he accepts (which he may decline thinking he can cash in) the Sox will get compensation if he bolts. Getting him on a 1 year deal for the QO for his top of the rotation stuff he has is fair. 

Getting both Kopech and Rodon to 150 innings will mean being creative with time off mid year or going to a 6 man rotation for parts of the year. 

I still think Keuchel will rebound and be effective enough to eat innings. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

How many of them can pitch better than Rodon did the first half?

I have a feeling we’re going to go the budget conscious way in the first half, then wait for another Scherzer to become available at the deadline.

I’d almost rather they gave Verlander a one year deal where he could make $25-30 with incentives, plus some type of mutually appealing option year for 2023.

Because the odds of producing another TOR starter internally the next two years look like somewhere between slim and none/zero.  

That said, the White Sox have never offered such a deal for someone to pitch just one season at even $18-20 million…

Keuchel & Lynn both makes $18M+ right now 🤷‍♂

As for the budget, I’m waiting to see how the the Rodon & Kimbrel decions go before drawing any conclusions.  Them passing on both of them would suggest things might be tight next year, whereas them going for both migh imply a more fruitful budget.  We simply have no idea how this will shake out other than we’re looking at a franchise record payroll.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Remember they nontendered Rodon a year ago.  The last thing they want is to do is go from paying him $3M to paying him $18M.  They know his history and makeup better than anyone.  I still think they'll offer it and he'll find a multi year deal elsewhere but they better be sure.

I’m hoping they offer the QO, he rejects it and goes elsewhere. I don’t trust him to stay healthy.  I could totally see the Astros going after him though.

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Remember they nontendered Rodon a year ago.  The last thing they want is to do is go from paying him $3M to paying him $18M.  They know his history and makeup better than anyone.  I still think they'll offer it and he'll find a multi year deal elsewhere but they better be sure.

I just struggle with assuming he’ll find a multi-year offer he likes when Gausman & Stroman  both it was best to accept last offseason.  Perhaps a different environment now, but I fully expect him to accept if offered.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I’m hoping they offer the QO, he rejects it and goes elsewhere. I don’t trust him to stay healthy.  I could totally see the Astros going after him though.

100% agree on this, but who is going to offer a sizable multi-year offer and lose a pick who has only looked elite for part of one season and has one of the worst track records of health in all of baseball?  Let’s say the Sox really want Scherzer at the top of the rotation, it’s massive gamble to offer Rodon the QO IMO.  I honestly think there is a chance they pass depending on their plans for the rotation.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Everyone needs pitching and the good thing for Rodon is some of the big boys (Houston, LAD, Toronto, NYM) will get picks back so giving one up won't hurt.  I think they'll be a big enough market for him that Boras will work his magic.  

36 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Keuchel & Lynn both makes $18M+ right now 🤷‍♂

As for the budget, I’m waiting to see how the the Rodon & Kimbrel decions go before drawing any conclusions.  Them passing on both of them would suggest things might be tight next year, whereas them going for both migh imply a more fruitful budget.  We simply have no idea how this will shake out other than we’re looking at a franchise record payroll.

Sure, but that’s when we were still getting our payroll back to normal levels for a contender…essentially a Top 12 one.

And Lynn would likely not have received that money without first proving himself with the Sox first, plus the TLR connection.

Keuchel I’ll give you, that was a bit of a head scratcher at the time but it worked for one season.  The argument being we needed a proven veteran winner, the same reason the Royals added James Shields slightly past his prime.

Just feels like the writing is already on the wall with Rodon and even Giolito…and this is a dangerous complacency if we are assuming all we need to do is stand pat to get through the Central for two more seasons. 

The word complacency is the operating word if we bring back the full coaching staff with Eloy in LF and no plan in sight for improving the catching spot behind Grandal.  We’ll see, I guess.  2B feels like it’s Leury’s to lose until proven otherwise.

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

What’s the deadline today on extending qualifying offers - 3pm EST is my guess?

I think the deadline is 4pm tomorrow, which is standard time. If it’s today, it’s still daylight time. Change your clocks tonight before you go to bed. 

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

There’s no way to replace Rodon’s quality in FA because all those guys in the $15-20 range will target long/er term deals except Scherzer, Verlander and Kershaw.

Does anyone see the Sox realistically going after one of them?

I still could end up being wrong. But my thinking was that Reinsdorf isn't going to want to sign off on giving 19 million dollars to someone who is very unlikely to stay healthy through a full season.

1 minute ago, flavum said:

I think the deadline is 4pm tomorrow, which is standard time. If it’s today, it’s still daylight time. Change your clocks tonight before you go to bed. 

Found it…

“The deadline for teams to tender a qualifying offer -- a one-year deal for 2022 worth $18.4 million -- to their eligible free agents is Sunday at 5 p.m. ET.”

Seems like you’re correct.

1 minute ago, Sarava said:

I still could end up being wrong. But my thinking was that Reinsdorf isn't going to want to sign off on giving 19 million dollars to someone who is very unlikely to stay healthy through a full season.

It’s a risk.  But without him, we don’t have a Max Fried, Bumgarner (2012-14) or Walker Buehler/Scherzer type you expect to go out and dominate throughout a postseason.  You’re relying on the offense to carry the team, or Cease to take another massive leap forward in terms of dominating playoff caliber teams and not just the Bottom 50% of the league.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s a risk.  But without him, we don’t have a Max Fried, Bumgarner (2012-14) or Walker Buehler/Scherzer type you expect to go out and dominate throughout a postseason.  You’re relying on the offense to carry the team, or Cease to take another massive leap forward in terms of dominating playoff caliber teams and not just the Bottom 50% of the league.

It is a risk. And I agree that the Sox probably don't have the rotation to win a World Series as it stands right now.

When I see the comment that they might want to bring him back in some capacity. I kind of read that as they will let his free agency play out and if he fails to get serious interest anywhere, then maybe something could happen.

To me, knowing the payroll budget concerns that Rick Hahn likely faces. The best course IMO would be to shop Andrew Vaughn for a young stud pitcher and hope you catch lightning in a  bottle. As good as Vaughn might be, he is very redundant on this team. We already have too many poor defending OF/1B/DH right handed hitter types. And I wouldn't sell low on Eloy, we probably saw a shell of what he is and will be last year coming back his injury.

1 hour ago, beck72 said:

The more I think about it, the Sox will probably extend the QO. If he accepts (which he may decline thinking he can cash in) the Sox will get compensation if he bolts. Getting him on a 1 year deal for the QO for his top of the rotation stuff he has is fair. 

Getting both Kopech and Rodon to 150 innings will mean being creative with time off mid year or going to a 6 man rotation for parts of the year. 

I still think Keuchel will rebound and be effective enough to eat innings. 

I agree.  These 150 inning pitchers have become acceptable in today's baseball.  

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I agree.  These 150 inning pitchers have become acceptable in today's baseball.  

Only a handful of bodies can go with the level of effort required to get modern hitters out and throw 175 innings year after year. That is the pitching response to the improvement in training and hitting technique- throw harder and throw stuff with more intense breaks on it. If a guy gives you 150 elite innings in this setting, you should be happy about it. It’s the GMs job to have backup plans and depth so that inevitable IL trips don’t break your team. You just save the $350 million contracts for the handful of guys who can throw 175 yearly.

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

The best course IMO would be to shop Andrew Vaughn for a young stud pitcher and hope you catch lightning in a  bottle.

Even before the day of Chris Sale, the Sox have been running around in a field of lightning bolts trying to catch one or two. By definition, that's a once in a blue moon event. And uhhh errrrr a risky proposition at that. I'd greatly prefer the Sox just get an Energac and go some combo of solar and natural gas.

Edited by FoxForce2