21/22 NCAA Basketball Thread

Marqhead

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Illinois is going to get curb stomped if they dont' figure out how to team rebound.

I'm surprised the game was so close for so long when we had absolutely no concrete plan on offense and couldn't rebound for shit.

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

I'm surprised the game was so close for so long when we had absolutely no concrete plan on offense and couldn't rebound for shit.

For some reason I kept watching and expecting them to win. They just never seemed to figure out a better game plan. I actually thought this could be a positive and have them coming out more focused. 

5 hours ago, chw42 said:

Good lord this offense is ass when you take Kofi away.

If Kofi’s the only interior threat, the other 4 guys (or at least 3) on the floor need to be legit outside threats. Most of the time, the Illini only had 1-2 at most who could shoot.
Not sure what was going on with Williams, but he was useless - seemed afraid to shoot.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Curbelo just killed their rhythm this year. They were better with Kofi and four outside threats. I will be shocked if Curbelo stays.  Also, Kofi really should go pro.  There’s nothing more for him to prove.

Seems like the concussion knocked whatever basketball IQ he had right out of him.

Grandison basically not playing after his shoulder injury hurt this team a lot. Cause he could at least shoot, unlike Williams.

18 hours ago, fathom said:

Curbelo just killed their rhythm this year. They were better with Kofi and four outside threats. I will be shocked if Curbelo stays.  Also, Kofi really should go pro.  There’s nothing more for him to prove.

He’d probably make more money at Illinois next year then playing pro though.  

Belo was terrible but he played limited minutes in a lot of games and the offense still wasn’t good a lot of the time.  Teams figured out that you just can’t leave Plummer ever and Frazier had his typical inconsistent play since he’s a really mediocre shooter.  Just a really limited group of players outside of Kofi.  

After the second round, I like to compare the conferences' Top 16 seeding to the number of teams they actually got into the Sweet 16.

Conference / # of Top 16 seeds / # of Sweet 16 Teams

SEC / 4 / 1

B12 / 3 / 3

B1G / 3 / 2

P12 / 2 / 2

BEast / 2 / 2

ACC / 1 / 3

WCC / 1 / 1

AAC / 0 / 1

MAAC / 0 / 1

Underperformed: SEC. Only 1 of 4 made it to the Sweet 16, and that one was the lowest seeded of the four. Perhaps the conference was overrated.

Overperformed: ACC. We heard all year about how down the ACC was, but they got 3 teams through to the Sweet 16 and very nearly a 4th.

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

After the second round, I like to compare the conferences' Top 16 seeding to the number of teams they actually got into the Sweet 16.

Conference / # of Top 16 seeds / # of Sweet 16 Teams

SEC / 4 / 1

B12 / 3 / 3

B1G / 3 / 2

P12 / 2 / 2

BEast / 2 / 2

ACC / 1 / 3

WCC / 1 / 1

AAC / 0 / 1

MAAC / 0 / 1

Underperformed: SEC. Only 1 of 4 made it to the Sweet 16, and that one was the lowest seeded of the four. Perhaps the conference was overrated.

Overperformed: ACC. We heard all year about how down the ACC was, but they got 3 teams through to the Sweet 16 and very nearly a 4th.

ACC was down, no question about it.  So many of the bottom teams were terrible. 

If Gonzaga, Duke (in Coach K's final go-around) and Arizona (down 7 in the first half to Houston) all go down tonight...

Might be one of the lowest rated Elite 8's in recent memory with the lack of star power.

Villanova becomes one of the favorites now despite having almost an anonymous/underrated conference season.   Jay Wright has quietly become one of the Top 5 if not 3 coaches in basketball.

And impressive if Texas Tech can lose Beard and hardly miss a beat with a new coach but essentially the same oppressive defense.

Kenpom taking victory laps again after Houston takes down Arizona. Once again, Illinois got paired with a very under-seeded team. I was pissed when I saw the draw. I'm not saying this Illini team would have won anything, I'm just salty the committee has to constantly give this team bad matchups against under-seeded teams as a 1 seed and then a 4 seed. 

Edited by chw42