2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Bmags - it is why I don’t mind the idea of an older Mike Evans as long as they are smart about it. But they need one plus a pick. Maybe use money on a free agent oline man and dline add. 

That's what I'm hoping - that they buy the trenches this year. 

I'd prioritize Jack Conklin to slide into RT and let borom/Leatherwood compete for swing g/t spots. Center unfortunately looks lean, but maybe you try to get the end of jason kelce's years, where it feels like C has a longer lifespan.

A'shawn robinson, daron payne, Javon hargrave are FA on the DT front, with Chubb/Clowney/Davenport leading the edge rushers. Hell, we may re-sign Robert quinn since he doesn't want to move.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I'd prioritize Jack Conklin to slide into RT and let borom/Leatherwood compete for swing g/t spots. Center unfortunately looks lean, but maybe you try to get the end of jason kelce's years, where it feels like C has a longer lifespan.

A'shawn robinson, daron payne, Javon hargrave are FA on the DT front, with Chubb/Clowney/Davenport leading the edge rushers. Hell, we may re-sign Robert quinn since he doesn't want to move.

Conklin would be a great addition.  If Orlando Brown somehow becomes available (I'll have to see it to believe it), then he becomes target #1 on the OL.  Of course, he'd have plenty of teams interested in him.  Either way, Conklin or Brown would be very nice additions.

It's really unfortunate that the WR class is weak in both the draft and free agency.  It feels like we'll have to trade for a WR, but I also think Poles is pretty adamant about building through the draft and we haven't had a full slate of draft picks in years thanks to Ryan Pace, hence not a lot of high-end young talent on this roster.  I have doubts that Poles is going to make the type of trade everyone seems to want.

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

Pretty solid return for an off-ball LB who wanted a massive contract.  I loved Roquan, but 1) he hasn't played up to expectations this year; and 2) given #1, it's hard to justify giving him the contract he wanted.  Sure, we had the Franchise Tag available, but then we'd be back in the same situation the following year.

I'm also curious to see that the Ravens, of all teams, made this trade.  They love to build through the draft and they're very good at it.  Since they gave up 2 draft picks for him, I think it's a given they're going to pay Roquan what he wanted.  Now they have to pay Lamar and Roquan this offseason.

Edited by dasox24

Mildly surprising, but I don't hate it. I don't necessarily think 4-3 MLBs are suppppper easy to fill, but I think they're easier than other positions.  A stout DL makes that position easier to play. Roquan at 20 mill vs a 2R pick and 20M spent else where should be an overall win. 

AJ Klien is also part of the deal. 

Poles has put himself in a situation that if he hits in FA and in the draft, given the space and draft capital he's collected...he can turn things around very quickly. Picks like Velus Jones in the 3rd round won't do that, but if they hit on most...he's done a great job in Year 1 putting themselves in a spot to get better, quickly. 

It also helps them this year lose as many games a possible to try and get a Top 5 selection. Games like yesterday are perfect. 

• Like 1

I am guessing Montgomery and Ejax are the other two that get dealt. The only reason I doubt Montgomery is whether the Poles wants to move anyone on the offensive side of the ball given the traction they have had. Herbert is clearly very good - but the combo of Herbert / Montgomery is stellar (there running styles are so different - both good - but different - that it almost makes them both better).  

I would hope if you move Montgomery you are talking about a 3rd rounder +. Not sure I move him for just a 4th rounder - but I get it if they did.  Now if the Jets wanted to do a swap of Moore for Montgomery (player for player) - I would be interested, but probably not going to happen. 

One other thing - if Bears get a high pick - Poles could very well still be trading down for more assets and than they will be in the type of spot where they can move around a lot to get players they want too (when you have a lot of picks - flexibility in the draft increases significantly).  

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Conklin, Chubb and Brown won't make it to the market. They will re-sign or get franchised. 

I also wonder if part of this also had to do with how Roquan was handling the Quinn trade / just how the whole contract thing went.  There were enough rumblings in the past around how he handled himself (that random series of inactives with no clarity) and just how the hold out happened.  

He seemed to play hard - but if Roquan wasn't fitting in / wasn't happy (which I imagine losing Quinn impacted him), sometimes that can be the final straw in forcing the hand. This is me speculating so could be completely wrong and this was entirely football based (and as I've already said - I can't argue it from a pure football perspective anyway).  

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I also wonder if part of this also had to do with how Roquan was handling the Quinn trade / just how the whole contract thing went.  There were enough rumblings in the past around how he handled himself (that random series of inactives with no clarity) and just how the hold out happened.  

He seemed to play hard - but if Roquan wasn't fitting in / wasn't happy (which I imagine losing Quinn impacted him), sometimes that can be the final straw in forcing the hand. This is me speculating so could be completely wrong and this was entirely football based (and as I've already said - I can't argue it from a pure football perspective anyway).  

James Robinson just got a conditional 5th (likely a sixth). Not sure I’d expect more than a fifth for Monty.

• knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic