War in Ukraine

caulfield12

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Yep. Millennials in college are at their peak. Anything after that and they are declining quickly. By sixty they will be idiots not fit to run the world. 

And the cycle will repeat. Boomers thought the same thing about the previous generation. 

I'm not ageist by any means but it becomes increasingly frustrated when you're told by your parents, I had bought my own home by this age and had X amount of kids at this age.  Failing to realize that things are absolutely not the same as it use to be.  I think being intentionally obtuse about the issues that plague the world today, along with enormous pride/ego are what's causing people to feel a certain way about older leaders.  They never fucking listen!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

I'm not ageist by any means but it becomes increasingly frustrated when you're told by your parents, I had bought my own home by this age and had X amount of kids at this age.  Failing to realize that things are absolutely not the same as it use to be.  I think being intentionally obtuse about the issues that plague the world today, along with enormous pride/ego are what's causing people to feel a certain way about older leaders.  They never fucking listen!

They were shouting down with the establishment!! They're all squares, man!! 

Your kids will be frustrated by you. What you are saying isn't new. 

11 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Yep. Millennials in college are at their peak. Anything after that and they are declining quickly. By sixty they will be idiots not fit to run the world. 

And the cycle will repeat. Boomers thought the same thing about the previous generation. 

Tex...the youngest millennial would be 26.

11 minutes ago, Texsox said:

They were shouting down with the establishment!! They're all squares, man!! 

Your kids will be frustrated by you. What you are saying isn't new. 

Maybe, maybe not.  I never claimed to be saying innovative shit but sometimes people need to be reminded that the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result.

12 minutes ago, Quin said:

Tex...the youngest millennial would be 26.

Also proving the earlier point about old people should not be in charge. Russia blocked Facebook in their country. Lol no one under 60 uses it. 

Just now, pettie4sox said:

Maybe, maybe not.  I never claimed to be saying innovative shit but sometimes people need to be reminded that the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result.

Exactly. But every generation does because they are superior to everyone that came before them. 

"We don't need to know anything you tried because you're old idiots. We're doing it this new way". And the cycle repeats. 

World War 1 was over 100 years ago. We are many generations past that. The insanity you speak of has been passed down for centuries. I'm certain your generation will finally get it right and end the insanity.

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Because it's too cool of a word to waste on anyone else.

We tend to use the less negative plutocracy when talking about our friends because oligarchs has taken on an addition meaning of corruption. 

Here we've become a gerontocracy over the years. 

That's exactly why we need to start using it here to describe people like Bezos, Zuckerberg, Brin, Musk, Gates et al. 

The same corruption is happening here. 

All of the individual parts of the $6T Build Back Better bill polled nationally at 58% or higher, but that did not get passed. The only way to explain that is gross public corruption. It was incredibly popular. 

BTW, it's this kind of public corruption here in the US(and other places in the West) that emboldens asshole dictators like Putin and Xi.  

If we're going to talk the talk about democracy and human rights, we have to walk the walk. 

Also nobody cares about refugees and imperialist wars when it's brown people being killed and displaced. Some are "ok" and some aren't. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

so what exactly are a bunch of investments from Kentucky doing parked in Russian banks and companies? (Apparently this is not the only one)

Can't believe they dumped it right before the invasion what an amazing coincidence

It was obvious in February investments in Russian would be at high risk. So I don't think it's that crazy they sold. I'm certain there is a common advisor in Kentucky pushing that investment. 

I even applaud investments like this in a belief that mutual financial destruction keeps the peace between countries.

But when it gets laid out like this it seems wrong. I also noticed one of my international funds dropped about 30% last week so I have no doubt I probably had a not chosen by me investment there.

And I upped my investments in the energy sector. It didn't take a genius or inside knowledge. I got in VTOL at around $32. I wish I had more to invest. 

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

so what exactly are a bunch of investments from Kentucky doing parked in Russian banks and companies? (Apparently this is not the only one)

It's a technicality but it wasn't "parked" there, they owned stock in that bank. Large investment groups like that will diversify and not keep all of their holdings in the US. I'll bet they have investments across the globe.  Banking and financial services is usually a safe investment. It's like owning JPM. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4608780/china-to-pull-premier-league-tv-coverage-this-weekend-over-ukraine-support

Chinese broadcasters will not air Premier League matches this weekend in response to the league's planned support of Ukraine, sources have confirmed to ESPN.

Can't have Chinese people seeing that the rest of the world opposes Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Edited by CentralChamps21

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I dont think this has fuck-all to do with the invasion, TBH.

I think this more falls under, "play stoopid games, win stoopid prizes."

Because if you're moronic enough to allegedly carry hashish oil into a authoritarian shithole, congratulations! You're in first place in the idiot league! If you took the conscious choice to remain in an authoritarian shithole well after the state department told you to GTFO of Russia, congrats!

You're just as bright as those moron hikers in Iran, or Otto fucking Warmbier. 

Seriously, I feel sorry for her mother. But pity for a moron who does this? Sorry, I got none for you, sweetie.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

3 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I dont think this has fuck-all to do with the invasion, TBH.

I think this more falls under, "play stoopid games, win stoopid prizes."

Because if you're moronic enough to allegedly carry hashish oil into a authoritarian shithole, congratulations! You're in first place in the idiot league! If you took the conscious choice to remain in an authoritarian shithole well after the state department told you to GTFO of Russia, congrats!

You're just as bright as those moron hikers in Iran, or Otto fucking Warmbier. 

Seriously, I feel sorry for her mother. But pity for a moron who does this? Sorry, I got none for you, sweetie.

So you're assuming that she actually did this and wasn't framed?

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Yeah, fair point. So, it was, like, totally cool to stay there, right?

Say, by the way, did the state department tell Americans that it was like totally cool to stay there?

Just asking...

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

My initial thought was that she was framed, but this happened before the invasion. Granted, Russia has been planning this war and has a history of doing holding people with hashish oil to try and get things from other nations.

Flip side is that if Griner wasn't framed, it is colossally stupid to bring drugs into any other country, let alone Russia. I hope she makes it out of this safely, but...man, the Russians will likely try to use her as a bargaining chip.