War in Ukraine

caulfield12

17 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Also noted is that Xi has Putin by the balls. He can't do anything to piss off China. 

Russia is isolated from everyone but China right now. 

People keep saying this, but the 2nd most populous country in the world hasn't done anything to show they disapprove of what Russia is doing.  

I haven't posted much on the war. A couple of things that concern me greatly.

a.) I am sad for the people of Ukraine. I read that Russians are shooting folks in the capital city who ignore the checkpoints and try to keep walking through them. I also read that the safe haven spaces for people to walk through ... Russians are actually shooting people trying to get out through the cease fire pathway out of the country. ... I also read the stores shelves are empty and people in the bunkers or their basements truly are at the point they are going to starve and have no water. In short these are crimes against humanity and Russia leaders must pay.

b.) Putin.

I am concerned that at his age he doesn't give a bleep. And if he deduces he's going down, he's going to go down actually bombing the USA, nuclear bombing the USA, perhaps some European countries, too.

I'd like to ask the international experts on here if you share my concern that we actually could die soon because of Putin sending nukes our way. If he hits the button(s) to nuke our cities is that it? We never developed a system to thwart the nukes out of the sky have we? Do any of you share my concern that a nuclear assault could come at any time?

I am worried about Putin yes I am. I am worried about our preparedness to respond to any nukes he throws our way. In conclusion I think the current situation is a lot more scary than I'm hearing on TV. Joy Behar has more to worry about than her European vacation and Covid. How she's not stressing about possibly nukes in NYC is beyond me. This is 2022 scary stuff, not minor stuff like facemask mandates.

Yes I would love if some of you could ease my concerns about nukes. 

Edited by greg775

Russia will accept peace in return for Ukraine neutrality, disarmament, independent eastern Republics and Crimea.

The demands by the Russian side are that Ukraine should sign a treaty of neutrality; engage in “demilitarisation” and “denazification”; and recognise Russian sovereignty over Crimea, which was seized back by Russia after the Ukrainian Revolution. These demands are a mixed bag of the acceptable, the unacceptable, and the undefined.

9 hours ago, Texsox said:

With fuel prices skyrocketing now would be a nice time for student loan forgiveness. Help recent college grads.

The cynical side of me says that they will only extend the deferment until after the mid term elections.  Chief of Staff Ron Klain has already hinted at that.  It just seems that they would have already done some forgiveness by executive order if they were going to do it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wegner said:

The cynical side of me says that they will only extend the deferment until after the mid term elections.  Chief of Staff Ron Klain has already hinted at that.  It just seems that they would have already done some forgiveness by executive order if they were going to do it. 

Unless they calculate it gets votes in the midterm. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Seems like it makes the most sense to campaign on it and forgive $10,000 a few months before the midterms to let it set in.

I have no idea what they are going to do with gas prices and I am not sure why they wouldn’t try to get Mexico and Canada to pump out more oil unless they simply just can’t produce more. Seems strange to be trying to get more from Venezuela and Iran unless they need to diversify getting oil from different countries.

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

I initially thought that too, but after Klain's statement I figured they are calculating that a further deferral will garner young votes as well. I think that is an inaccurate calculation. 

Although I doubt anything will stop the Democrats from losing the house at this point....and maybe the Senate but that's less certain imo.

7 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

This new "phase" of the war with Russia accusing Ukraine of harboring biological and chemical weapons and the bombing of hospitals makes me think that Putin's end goal is to get the US involved so he can justify using nukes.

I haven't read any analysis that Russia would need anything more than conventional weapons to neutralize Ukraine's military. If they can "win" this without nuclear weapons I think they will continue that route. 

Perhaps it's a preemptive move in case the US does get involved. Then they would need nuclear. I just can't see him trying to draw the US into the invasion.

But crazy people do crazy things.

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I haven't read any analysis that Russia would need anything more than conventional weapons to neutralize Ukraine's military. If they can "win" this without nuclear weapons I think they will continue that route. 

Perhaps it's a preemptive move in case the US does get involved. Then they would need nuclear. I just can't see him trying to draw the US into the invasion.

But crazy people do crazy things.

Russia cannot conquer and hold Ukraine using conventional war techniques. 

You are seeing this right now. They’re stuck at a handful of cities and all they have that works is the artillery and rockets launched from a distance so they are leveling those cities. But, those firing positions are secure in Russia. If they advance them into areas where any Ukrainians are alive, they will face guerrilla attacks and the supply lines will be impossible to maintain. 

10 hours ago, Texsox said:

What will a nuclear weapon do more effectively? Isn't Russian wanting to occupy the land after the war? Far different than the US bombing and staying away for decades 

Putin doesn't have a lot of time left and I'm worried he will decide to take everybody with him.