Sox Sign Vince Velasquez

Heads22

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

3 million? 

Man, they better still make a big addition this offseason. Thus far, they've spent 17 million on Harrison, Kelly and Velasquez. They also have Kimbrel still on the roster making 16 million. 

If these salaries stop them from going after someone like Conforto...no bueno. 

Spotrac doesn't have this one in there yet, but they show $18.7 million remaining under the tax, and that's an estimate since they're making assumptions about the number of guys they need to move through the roster to deal with IL situations.

They took on $7.5 million in salary at the 2021 trade deadline for reference.

Even though this is a depth signing. $3 million to a pitcher that is not that good is really a risky move. I don’t think this is going to go down as one of Rick Hahn’s better moves but you never know. He can always be released if he doesn’t do well.

Edited by maloney.adam

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

but why. Does he make it past May?  I say no.

I would have to guess that someone in the org really likes him and talked them into taking a chance on him. It's very weird otherwise.

Makes for exceedingly odd roster construction to have 2 long men in the bullpen, and seemingly makes it seem likely that either Keuchel or Lopez is in the rotation to start the year (add any additional pitcher, even after replacing Kimbrel, and you have 3 long guys in the bullpen, none of whom can be optioned, only 1 of whom has relief experience? That's ugly).

Other than that, I'll assume someone really likes this guy, and make some joke about how if he's DFAd by May the guy who liked him will be promoted as punishment. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would have to guess that someone in the org really likes him and talked them into taking a chance on him. It's very weird otherwise.

Makes for exceedingly odd roster construction to have 2 long men in the bullpen, and seemingly makes it seem likely that either Keuchel or Lopez is in the rotation to start the year (add any additional pitcher, even after replacing Kimbrel, and you have 3 long guys in the bullpen, none of whom can be optioned, only 1 of whom has relief experience? That's ugly).

Other than that, I'll assume someone really likes this guy, and make some joke about how if he's DFAd by May the guy who liked him will be promoted as punishment. 

I hope Katz likes him and thinks he has a fix, cause I don't really get the appeal otherwise. 

What are the luxury tax implications on contract buyouts / released players like for the hard salary cap in the NHL?

Is there anything in the CBA about that? Asking for a friend named "D. Keuchel"... err... "Dallas K."

1 minute ago, JoeC said:

What are the luxury tax implications on contract buyouts / released players like for the hard salary cap in the NHL?

Is there anything in the CBA about that? Asking for a friend named "D. Keuchel"... err... "Dallas K."

Every dollar that you give a guy counts against the luxury tax. To get Keuchel off the roster with a buyout of his full contract would leave every cent counting towards the CBT. The only way to get space is to trade a guy's salary to another team. 

For example, if the White Sox wanted to send Vera and Keuchel to Pittsburgh or Miami, with the other team taking on the entire contract, that would clear $18 million in luxury tax space. 

If the White Sox sent Keuchel to Pitt along with Burger and the White Sox paid 1/2 of the remaining $18 million, then they would clear $9 million in space. What the White Sox pay counts against the Tax. 

(Numbers intended only as examples, not as realistic deals).

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

3 million? 

Man, they better still make a big addition this offseason. Thus far, they've spent 17 million on Harrison, Kelly and Velasquez. They also have Kimbrel still on the roster making 16 million. 

If these salaries stop them from going after someone like Conforto...no bueno. 

They’ve spent nearly $30M on relievers and utility men.  Those are the spots a halfway decent farm system should pump out repeatedly.  Unfortunately our failures in that area are coming back to bite us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They’ve spent nearly $30M on relievers and utility men.  Those are the spots a halfway decent farm system should pump out repeatedly.  Unfortunately our failures in that area are coming back to bite us.

We should’ve just released Kimbrel instead of accepting his option. That money could’ve been used towards a RF or a SP in FA but now it’s looking more and more likely we are stuck with him for one more year. Not a good decision by the FO. 

Edited by maloney.adam

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

yup.  Don't understand why we spent so much on two utility infielders. 

11 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

This has been an awful offseason for the Sox so far. Don’t have any faith that they will make a good move at this point.

I wouldn’t say awful, but I’d give it a C-.  The bullpen and bench are the only areas that you can argue are stronger than they were last year (with the bench gains driven mostly by internal development).  The rotation right now is in worse shape and the lineup is basically the same.  I’m hoping the the moves made so far are of the low hanging variety and a more impactful move or two will occur over the next week or so.  So far, Hahn has yet to show a desire to push some chips in like he did at the deadline, but the pieces that can help us are still out there so zero reason to panic just yet.  That being said, I’ve got my pitchfork on standby just in case 😉

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

This has been an awful offseason for the Sox so far. Don’t have any faith that they will make a good move at this point.

This off-season, we've guaranteed $82 mill, $45 mill in '22 to relievers and utility players lol

That counts Kimbrel since he is still here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Assuming nothing else changes.. Tis offseason would be horrendous lol

This team has never been all that smart in terms of resource allocation. If we really spend $30 million on some utility guys and relievers and call it a day, it would be an absolute disaster. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

This off-season, we've guaranteed $82 mill, $45 mill in '22 to relievers and utility players lol

That counts Kimbrel since he is still here.

Every offseason the Sox spend at least $10 million on reclamation projects and scrubs that will be DFAed in June instead of using that money towards an impact player. It drives me nuts.

9 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Dumb money. Hahn consistently throws 8-11 mil away every off-season on old reclamation projects. Yes, some work out...but this smells like May DFA, and this has KW fingerprints on it also

Yeah, our last two signings are guys I would be suprised if they're on the roster come July.

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

This team has never been all that smart in terms of resource allocation. If we really spend $30 million on some utility guys and relievers and call it a day, it would be an absolute disaster. 

It will be super frustrating.  Like I still don’t get committing 3/$16M to Leury when we have a guy in Romy Gonzalez more or less ready and can do many of the same things.  Not only that, but we got multiple guys coming up behind him with utility infielder projections like Yogurt, Sosa, & even Popeye if he doesn’t leap into an everyday option.  

I have less of a problem with the bullpen additions, but they highlight the absolute failure that is our minor league system.  Have no other options but to buy expensive setup men when all your relief prospects crash & burn.  Our failures to develop arks has proven costly.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

It will be super frustrating.  Like I still don’t get committing 3/$16M to Leury when we have a guy in Romy Gonzalez more or less ready and can do many of the same things.  Not only that, but we got multiple guys coming up behind him with utility infielder projections like Yogurt, Sosa, & even Popeye if he doesn’t leap into an everyday option.  

I have less of a problem with the bullpen additions, but they highlight the absolute failure that is our minor league system.  Have no other options but to buy expensive setup men when all your relief prospects crash & burn.  Our failures to develop arks has proven costly.

Add to that the likely possibility they’re struggling to make an impact trade because of how bad the system was last year.