Tatis Jr Breaks Wrist; Surgery, 3 Month Recovery Likely

ron883

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33501525/san-diego-padres-star-fernando-tatis-jr-3-months-fractured-wrist

If I read this correctly, sounds like it happened earlier in the offseason when he crashed his motorcycle. He actually indicated that he crashed his motorcycle MULTIPLE times this offseason... Not good. I don't know why these guys are allowed to ride motorcycles given their contracts. 

This guy's inability to stay healthy is a saving grace for Hahn's legacy. Sorry for the bad news Caulfield. 

Edited by ron883

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33501525/san-diego-padres-star-fernando-tatis-jr-3-months-fractured-wrist

If I read this correctly, sounds like it happened earlier in the offseason when he crashed his motorcycle. He actually indicated that he crashed his motorcycle MULTIPLE times this offseason... Not good. I don't know why these guys are allowed to ride motorcycles given their contracts. 

This guy's inability to stay healthy is a saving grace for Hahn's legacy. Sorry for the bad news Caulfield. 

Hahn’s legacy is already in trouble if there’s no advance out of the divisional round…and not being strong enough to stand up to JR on LaRussa.  Name the last time “one of the best GM’s in the game” was forced to hire someone as manager he was 100% opposed to and still remained in his job.  His legacy for now is losing this offseason.  But who knows, the Sox usually fare poorly when he’s credited with winning the offseason.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Man. This is crazy. He's a star and can't play right now. He got hurt last year too didn't he? Lot of injuries in baseball. I hope the Sox addressed all the hammy injuries with their trainer. Sox players hurt hammies too much.

• Like 1

That brings us to another typical San Diego sports gut punch. Because of MLB’s lockout, communications were required to go radio silent as the sides wrestled over a collective bargaining agreement.

The fact team doctors could have visited Tatis after the accident because they are not officially team employees who would have violated lockout rules is stunning.

(Kevin) Acee reported the team was assured by Tatis representatives the incident amounted to simple scrapes and bruises.

You don’t send doctors to check on your $340 million investment anyway?

If Tatis could have talked with the medical staff sooner, the recovery would be closer to the finish line than the beginning.

“Definitely could be a different story, yeah,” Tatis said.

Now, everyone will learn if Tatis can pivot to a level of maturity that matches his immense talents.

Since arriving in the majors, Tatis has missed 99 games to injury in less than 2 1/2 seasons. That math translates to watching from the dugout for nearly 30 percent of his brief and spectacular career.

Now, the Padres power is sapped for who knows how long.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sports-columnists/story/2022-03-14/san-diego-padres-shortstop-fernando-tatis-jr-wrist-surgery

Edited by caulfield12

I'll just keep repeating every time he gets hurt that from the first minute if was announced I said that massive Tatis Jr extension was needlessly risky for the Padres given his lack of experience but more importantly his injury history. I am pretty sure the guy has has multiple moderate to severe injuries in every season of pro ball, which includes the minor leagues.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'll just keep repeating every time he gets hurt that from the first minute if was announced I said that massive Tatis Jr extension was needlessly risky for the Padres given his lack of experience but more importantly his injury history. I am pretty sure the guy has has multiple moderate to severe injuries in every season of pro ball, which includes the minor leagues.

Which is why the Twins waited and might have gotten a bargain with Buxton.

We'll see how things work out with Moncada, Jimenez and Robert...still, all things considered, those were much more calculated risks than the Tatis, Jr. deal.

In all likelihood, he ends up in CF/RF/2B or even DH, diminishing some of his defensive value.

From 2024 through 2036, ages 24-36, he'll earn $327 million.

Divided by 13 years, it's an average of about $25 million per season.   The first five years of his career will end up being under $14 million (through 2023), so there's a huge amount of surplus value there, despite missing 30% of his games (quite similar to Luis Robert's minor and major league career.)

If he averages 3.33 fWAR for those 13 years, he will be earning his money (valuing fWAR at 1.0/$7.5 million as a baseline)...and that's not even taking inflation into consideration well into the future as salaries continue to escalate.

Being results oriented with Tatis based on his track record with injuries feels icky and awful to me. 

The Hahn-Williams legacy with this was that they evaluated James Shields to be worth more than him. 

It doesn't matter whether Tatis never plays another ML game again, they should never be let off the hook for that.

Never. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Being results oriented with Tatis based on his track record with injuries feels icky and awful to me. 

The Hahn-Williams legacy with this was that they evaluated James Shields to be worth more than him. 

It doesn't matter whether Tatis never plays another ML game again, they should never be let off the hook for that.

Never. 

Ditto.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Never. 

Every other major league team had a chance to sign Tatis a few months earlier for a million dollars, MLB pocket change.  I will never let those other teams off the hook for their horrible evaluations.  All Gm's in baseball are idiots and this has to be part of their legacy.       

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, sure....chiding scouts about Tatis, Jr., is not unlike going after the Yankees/Mets for missing Trout in their backyards and the 20 something teams that passed on him.

Lolol that post is actually hilarious