Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You can justify Kimbrel's salary as a go for it, all in set up guy for two months, even if most were not 100% on board with converting him to high leverage (including TLR, seemingly)...but it's borderline insane for a team without a $200+ million payroll capability to do so for a full season when you're STILL not addressing three more compelling team needs.

It IS insanity to keep a piece that solves zero problems, especially at that price.

But I don't agree that you could then, or can now justify Kimbrel, when there were then and are now bigger holes to fill. 

RH trading for Kimbrel is like sending your kid to the store for a gallon of milk, but he stupidly buys milkduds instead.

You end up not getting the thing you needed, AND your household now has fewer resources to get what it ACTUALLY needed.

Keeping Kimbrel NOW is like keeping the milkduds instead of forcing your stupid kid to return them.

18 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I don't disagree about the trade. I wanted to keep both the players.

However, the rest is conjecture.  It hasnt happened yet.

Well, thats just wrong. For a team that clearly has a budgetary limitation, picking up the option inhibited other, and more crucial needs.

There can be no defense for either the trade, or the Kimbrel/Rodon choices. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Unrelated to the Cubs, but didn’t the Rays offer Glasnow for Kimbrel last year?

Yup. There were some wild offers for him. Goes to show that a lot of teams didn't foresee his struggles. 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Graterol/Treinen/Hudson/lefty

It's good, but you can definitely improve upon that. Especially with a seemingly unlimited budget.

I'm not a Kimbrel guy at all, but he is coming off a year with his ERA, FIP, xERA etc all below 2.50 and a 43% k rate. It's not like he's just another good reliever or something.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

It IS insanity to keep a piece that solves zero problems, especially at that price. RH trading for Kimbrel is like sending your kid to the store for a gallon of milk, but he stupidly buys milkduds instead.

You end up not getting the thing you needed, AND your household now has fewer resources to get what it ACTUALLY needed.

But I don't agree that you could then, or can now justify Kimbrel, when there were then and are now bigger holes to fill.

Well, thats just wrong. For a team that clearly has a budgetary limitation, picking up the option inhibited other, and more crucial needs.

There can be no defense for either the trade, or the Kimbrel/Rodon choices. 

Again. I disagree with the Rodon comment for sure and maybe the Kimbrel option.

There us no evidence that Kimbrel being in the team currently has kept them from making any other moves. It's all conjecture at this point. If they get stuck with him then it all changes.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think thinking the only way the rid rid themselves of Kimbrel and get a semi solve for RF is some exotic 3 way trade with the Dodgers and some other team. Or it solves the SP depth and RF remains as is.

Personally, I would be happier with the SP but the RF would be fine.

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

The Phillies are going to be absolutely horrific defensively. Minus defenders basically everywhere on the roster.

But man, that lineup is going to rake.

Score 850 runs, give up 850 runs. 

• Like 1

The Phillies are going to be absolutely horrific defensively. Minus defenders basically everywhere on the roster.

But man, that lineup is going to rake.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if they can out hit the defense.

It will make for exciting games that's for sure 

It's definitely still a .500 team too, lol

sounds about right

If their bullpen of past seasons is any indication, all the guys they signed for cheap are definitely gonna bomb and they'll end up close to .500 again. 

• Quin locked this topic