Will the whining never end?

VAfan

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

GIven that it's a bit at this point, I find it equaly amusing how offended people continue to get over a word that really isn't offensive in anyway. 

I seem to recall you throwing that pal moniker in my direction....what did I ever do to you Ray!!!!

Edited by wegner
misspelling since I was so worked up
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

As time has gone on, the use of pal has become very impersonal. You call someone pal or buddy that you don't know, you and they know what's up.  I walk my dog, people call him buddy. I could be wrong, but I don't think Ray Ray wants to take me home and rub my belly.

What a person does in the privacy of their home is their own business.

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

As time has gone on, the use of pal has become very impersonal. You call someone pal or buddy that you don't know, you and they know what's up.  I walk my dog, people call him buddy. I could be wrong, but I don't think Ray Ray wants to take me home and rub my belly.

You know what they say about assumptions!

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Make sure he also gets the chin, behind the ears and the lower back near the tail, haha.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

😏

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

My days of “youthful indiscretions” were over by my early 40’s, lol.  Married life and fatherhood since 2015.

A much better life indeed imho.  

How damn long does this preseason feel by the way?  Let's get some real baseball going.

On 3/24/2022 at 4:39 PM, Snopek said:

If I'm understanding correctly, criticism that you don't agree with is called whining, while the rest of it can be referred to as complaints or trashing.

Criticism is fine -- I shared mine -- but it's pretty easy to tell when it goes over the top.  Here's how to tell the difference.  Ask any of the posters on here -- why are you still a White Sox fan?  What is the response?  

If they can't say anything positive at that point, then it's whining.  

I mean, if the Sox DON'T win the World Series, is following or rooting for the Sox a complete waste of time?  Not for me.  I enjoyed the hell out of the 2020 season but I didn't think the Sox had a shot at a title.  The Dodgers have had amazing teams year after year, and spend money out the wazoo, but have only won 1 World Series recently.

It's possible to make a point without thinking Rick Hahn is a moron, Jerry Reinsdorf is a cheapskate, and TLR is an over-the-hill drunk.  Just have a little perspective, and some HUMILTY.  Because if any of the posters on here tried to do any of those jobs, including me, we'd fail completely.  We're all such know-it-alls when NONE of us have ever done any of the jobs we trash people for.  

This is why I stood up for TLR last offseason.  Sure, he's not a perfect manager.  But I know he knows a whole lot more and has been through a whole lot more than any of his critics.  Most of us don't have the first clue what the job of managing is.  It certainly isn't making out the lineup card.  I believe it's a people job as much as it is a strategy job.    

So, I'm an armchair critic as well (not a water carrier, btw).  But I have some respect for the people who put the White Sox together, and the players and coaches we already have.  And I'm going to enjoy this season regardless of where we end up.  

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 4:57 PM, Saufley said:

In 1959 I was in 6th grade and disappointed with the Sox losing the World Series to the Dodgers! Color me selfish, but I'd prefer the Sox go all in and win now rather than later! 

Right!  But you said this quite simply.  

18 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

The whitesox could trade away Robert, Eloy, and Gio tomorrow for AAAA players, and about a day later there would be 4 threads started by VAFan on how this might be the best decision the sox ever did.  How it's refreshing to start over, and the only place to go is up.  

This is simply wrong.

I've been on this site longer than most.  But I largely tuned out the Sox during the rebuild, as I've shared before.  I don't live in the Chicago area, so I didn't have the chance to go to many games.  I would see them once a year when they came to the DC/Baltimore area, and watch if they were on TV, which was very rare.  

So, I don't want to see a rebuild.  I want the Sox to contend and win it all again.  And you can't have read my post if you think I agree with everything the Sox have done.  I'm just able to convey that without going over the top.  

7 hours ago, zisk said:

Agree with almost all of this. I must say Bummer had a bad luck year. Seemed like every grounder found a hole, and every flair seemed to find a soft spot to land.

My take on Bummer is he needs regular use.  Because his slider moves SO much, he needs to pitch a lot to keep his feel for it.  His problem last year was wildness.  He couldn't get enough pitches over for strikes or looking like strikes that guy were able to sit on his fastball.  

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

This piece actually spells out what the Sox have done in RF and DH -- plan to use Vaughn/Sheets/Engel -- in a rotation.  Obviously a lot of people didn't like this choice, but it's pretty plain this was the plan all along. 

Correspondingly, Hahn was emphasizing how the team’s situation is superior in right field due to Andrew Vaughn and Gavin Sheets, even if neither seem like everyday, 650-plate appearance players at the position.

“We feel very bullish on the futures of Andrew Vaughn and Gavin Sheets,” Hahn said. “We envision them playing significant roles on multiple White Sox clubs going forward. We will spend some time over the next few months figuring out what is the best fit for them in 2022. Could be DH possibilities, right-field possibilities. They’re both natural first basemen and we’ve seen how quickly Andrew acclimated to left field. They provided us with good options and flexibility.”

Sheets mashed right-handed pitching but required a platoon partner, while Vaughn has larger offensive potential and — strange as it would sound saying this a year ago—seems like the more gifted and adaptable defender. Neither, combined with Eloy Jiménez in left field, would equate to a strong defensive outfield; though even that could be selling Vaughn short given how much he improved with experience. A healthy Adam Engel would go a long way toward complementing both Vaughn and Sheets.

12 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Criticism is fine -- I shared mine -- but it's pretty easy to tell when it goes over the top.  Here's how to tell the difference.  Ask any of the posters on here -- why are you still a White Sox fan?  What is the response?  

If they can't say anything positive at that point, then it's whining.  

I mean, if the Sox DON'T win the World Series, is following or rooting for the Sox a complete waste of time?  Not for me.  I enjoyed the hell out of the 2020 season but I didn't think the Sox had a shot at a title.  The Dodgers have had amazing teams year after year, and spend money out the wazoo, but have only won 1 World Series recently.

It's possible to make a point without thinking Rick Hahn is a moron, Jerry Reinsdorf is a cheapskate, and TLR is an over-the-hill drunk.  Just have a little perspective, and some HUMILTY.  Because if any of the posters on here tried to do any of those jobs, including me, we'd fail completely.  We're all such know-it-alls when NONE of us have ever done any of the jobs we trash people for.  

This is why I stood up for TLR last offseason.  Sure, he's not a perfect manager.  But I know he knows a whole lot more and has been through a whole lot more than any of his critics.  Most of us don't have the first clue what the job of managing is.  It certainly isn't making out the lineup card.  I believe it's a people job as much as it is a strategy job.    

So, I'm an armchair critic as well (not a water carrier, btw).  But I have some respect for the people who put the White Sox together, and the players and coaches we already have.  And I'm going to enjoy this season regardless of where we end up.  

I don’t think the standard that we hold our GM is to is whether Balta or Ray Ray could do a better job.

It’s still who does the best job with a given set of resources…who maximizes those resources and allocates money most efficiently.

And it’s not rocket science.  It takes a lot of diligence, good fortune and being in the right place at the right time.

https://theathletic.com/1845734/2020/06/02/meet-mike-mcneive-the-one-constant-tasked-with-gathering-intel-for-hawks/

This is a story on one of my two best friends from grad school…if you read it, you will see that there are MANY who could be a front office exec, some are born with Ivy League families or silver spoons, but a number also get there through persistence and networking and knowing the right people in the right places.  Developing relationships with coaches, GM’s and scouts the old-fashioned way.  Having the ability to get along well with others helps, too.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I don’t think the standard that we hold our GM is to is whether Balta or Ray Ray could do a better job.

It’s still who does the best job with a given set of resources…who maximizes those resources and allocates money most efficiently.

And it’s not rocket science.  It takes a lot of diligence, good fortune and being in the right place at the right time.

https://theathletic.com/1845734/2020/06/02/meet-mike-mcneive-the-one-constant-tasked-with-gathering-intel-for-hawks/

This is a story on one of my two best friends from grad school…if you read it, you will see that there are MANY who could be a front office exec, some are born with Ivy League families or silver spoons, but a number also get there through persistence and networking and knowing the right people in the right places.  Developing relationships with coaches, GM’s and scouts the old-fashioned way.  Having the ability to get along well with others helps, too.

Most people on this site have the intelligence and love of the sport to be the GM of the WS.  Most of us follow the team on a daily basis and have a fair degree of baseball knowledge.  What we don't have is 30 years in the FO experience of the business of baseball.  We also don't come close to having the data they have that drives their decisions.  I'm content to let RH and the FO figure out all the player acquisitions and payroll constraints.