3/31 | White Sox @ Reds | 8:05PM CT | Radio Only

Brantley arguing you have to come in under the batter's hands against the Sox or they "will beat your brains in" letting them dive out over the plate and drive the ball.

Have to put some fear into batter's minds, etc.

Haseley gunned down at home by Farmer on a weak grounder to SS, Anderson back to the bag at second.

Wild pitch, both runners move up a base.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Sheets takes out a low fastball to right...went right into Gavin's swing plane.  3-1 Sox

Isn't that how most contact is made ? You make it sound like the batter swings on the same plane every time and only makes contact if the pitcher accidentally  throw it there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Isn't that how most contact is made ? You make it sound like the batter swings on the same plane every time and only makes contact if the pitcher accidentally  throw it there.

Well, I should have phrased it that Greene was attempting to keep the fastballs high and above the hands...whereas 95% of left-handed hitters love the ball down and can much more easily get around on those pitches.

It's essentially the same issue that Bellinger has been struggling with all spring...swinging underneath everything, but it certainly doesn't help when he has so much head motion, going from a high upright stance and then dipping down roughly 18 inches into his approach to the ball.  It's almost impossible for him to keep tracking the ball with that much head movement.

Edited by caulfield12

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

One of Kimbrel, Crick, Crockett, Burr or Severino was supposed to pitch tonight and didn’t.  Very interesting to watch if Kimbrel doesn’t pitch.

I thought Kimbrel was supposed to pitch after Velasquez. Safe to say I was shocked to see the game was still 7-1 in the 6th. I thought Kimbrel would have come in and given up a few runs for sure. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, I should have phrased it that Greene was attempting to keep the fastballs high and above the hands...whereas 95% of left-handed hitters love the ball down and can much more easily get around on those pitches.

It's essentially the same issue that Bellinger has been struggling with all spring...swinging underneath everything, but it certainly doesn't help when he has so much head motion, going from a high upright stance and then dipping down roughly 18 inches into his approach to the ball.

I watch the replays of his HR's last year and he definitely likes the ball middle/in and low but he hit HR's on thigh high, waist high and top of the zone too. He also hit a couple of changeups middle away for HR's.

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I watch the replays of his HR's last year and he definitely likes the ball middle/in and low but he hit HR's on thigh high, waist high and top of the zone too. He also hit a couple of changeups middle away for HR's.

I'm not sure how familiar Brantley is with the White Sox individual hitters, but he was adamant about pitching them inside instead of letting them dive out and over the plate.

At the beginning of the game, his big excuse for Greene was simply that he was getting behind in counts.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Same. He looks terrible. 

Same with Harrison...3 up, 3 down for Crick.

No way they would be taking Foster, Burr and Ruiz over Kyle...would/could they?    TLR must inherently love anyone who pitched in the NL Central.

Also, looks like they really want to get Haseley as many at-bats as possible from him and see what they actually have on their hands.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Should be our 8/9 hitters vs LHP

Going back to the comparisons with Valentin as a SH with pronounced splits and when quite a few wanted him (Moncada) to give up hitting RHed at all.  

Haseley looks great in the box score right now, but that "double" should have been caught and his first hit was a gork shot flared into LF.   At least he took a walk and maybe that will help him rebuild some confidence.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I'm not sure how familiar Brantley is with the White Sox individual hitters, but he was adamant about pitching them inside instead of letting them dive out and over the plate.

At the beginning of the game, his big excuse for Greene was simply that he was getting behind in counts.

Inside is the general consensus on the Sox righties. Abreu is the only one who can pull those fairly often, Eloy like to get his arms extended and hit his Bombs to CF and RCF . Robert seems to be able to hit them everywhere but is taking the Anderson approach to become a better hitter . Sheets likes to get out in front so he's more of a pull hitter which is what I'd love to see Eloy do more often .