TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Come on.  Chances are pretty high that Hahn has told Reinsdorf that TLR isn't working out and the team would perform better if they went in a different direction, and Reinsdorf wouldn't allow TLR to be fired.  That's not Hahn being a yes man or a coward.  That's being an employee.  What do you want Hahn to do?  Resign?  None of us would do that.  The boss decides and you go back to work.  Hahn might not like the decision but he's not going to resign over it and to insult him because of it is silly.  The signings of Leury and Harrison, sure.  But we all know TLR continuing to manage the Sox is out of his hands.

Yes. Resign. Anything else in that situation is totally being a yes man. The GM should be able to pick and fire a coach. This isn’t complicated. If he doesn’t have that authority any more, either he should resign or he’s a yes man totally accepting this and agreeing that it’s ok. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Yes. Resign. Anything else in that situation is totally being a yes man. The GM should be able to pick and fire a coach. This isn’t complicated. If he doesn’t have that authority any more, either he should resign or he’s a yes man totally accepting this and agreeing that it’s ok. 

Maybe he likes his job and doesn’t want to move? I think it’s quite obvious that Hahn never wanted to hire TLR. He’s also not an idiot. While he did a piss poor job this offseason, he’s watching the same shit we are. He knows TLR is a train wreck. It’s just not his call. I don’t necessarily think that makes him a “yes man”, it just means it’s not his decision to make, right or wrong. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

To be fair, Hahn has strong ties to Chicago and may not want to move to another city.  It’s easy to say he should quit on principle, but that ignores the other things that matter in his life such as not uprooting his kids.  As someone currently in the process of uprooting his kids and moving back to Chicago, it was a gut-wrenching decision to get to this point.  It’s not at simple as you’re making it, especially when you have job security for life under Jerry and probably an easy path to a President of Baseball Ops type roll if you roll with Tony.

• Like 1

None of us would quit his job in the given circumstances because of TLR and if you think you would, I don't believe you.  These people are paid both to do their job and to eat some shit, and it's feeding time

• Like 1

It will be extremely disappointing if the White Sox miss the playoffs this season and there are no changes made to either the manager or front office. Extremely is probably an understatement there as well.

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

It will be extremely disappointing if the White Sox miss the playoffs this season and there are no changes made to either the manager or front office. Extremely is probably an understatement there as well.

Well Boob Nightengale who has always been a Sox mouthpiece said TLR will last the season but is on the hot seat. I think TLR is gone if the Sox miss the playoffs. Problem is, I really don’t want them to miss the playoffs. Definitely concerned that they could back their way in with the soft schedule in the second half with 85-88 wins and JR refuses to move on. A bit of a conundrum. 

52 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be fair, Hahn has strong ties to Chicago and may not want to move to another city.  It’s easy to say he should quit on principle, but that ignores the other things that matter in his life such as not uprooting his kids.  As someone currently in the process of uprooting his kids and moving back to Chicago, it was a gut-wrenching decision to get to this point.  It’s not at simple as you’re making it, especially when you have job security for life under Jerry and probably an easy path to a President of Baseball Ops type roll if you roll with Tony.

If he thinks he has job security for life, he might well get a big surprise this offseason.

This fan base is ANGRY. You get it online, but if you want to believe that those nerds are just losers, you can hear it at the ballpark. You can hear it on the radio when people call in. The team just put out one of those opinion surveys to their season ticket holders last week, which they wouldn’t have done if they weren’t worried about where their fans are. They put up with years of rebuilding because they were promised “multiple championships” among other things. 

This franchise has at least $160 million on the books next year without including Abreu. If they’re battling the Tigers for third place all year, and don’t have playoff games to use to sell season tickets for next year - however stubborn they want to be they are going to have to have a fall guy, and it’s going to be a bigger name than the hitting coach. If it’s not allowed to be the manager, there is one guy left who won’t get a chair when the music stops.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well Boob Nightengale who has always been a Sox mouthpiece said TLR will last the season but is on the hot seat. I think TLR is gone if the Sox miss the playoffs. Problem is, I really don’t want them to miss the playoffs. Definitely concerned that they could back their way in with the soft schedule in the second half with 85-88 wins and JR refuses to move on. A bit of a conundrum. 

I don't think LaRussa comes back if he wasn't assured he gets to see it through, so in that case I would rather them just make the playoffs this season then miss it and nothing changes.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If he thinks he has job security for life, he might well get a big surprise this offseason.

This fan base is ANGRY. You get it online, but if you want to believe that those nerds are just losers, you can hear it at the ballpark. You can hear it on the radio when people call in. The team just put out one of those opinion surveys to their season ticket holders last week, which they wouldn’t have done if they weren’t worried about where their fans are. They put up with years of rebuilding because they were promised “multiple championships” among other things. 

This franchise has at least $160 million on the books next year without including Abreu. If they’re battling the Tigers for third place all year, and don’t have playoff games to use to sell season tickets for next year - however stubborn they want to be they are going to have to have a fall guy, and it’s going to be a bigger name than the hitting coach. If it’s not allowed to be the manager, there is one guy left who won’t get a chair when the music stops.

Who the hell would go out and buy season tickets if KW left or was fired?

It's Hahn LaRussa or selling the franchise.

There are only three choices if they don't make the postseason.

And naming let's say an internal candidate like Jeremy Haber wouldn't stave off the pitchforks either.

Why would we expect different results?

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

I don't think LaRussa comes back if he wasn't assured he gets to see it through, so in that case I would rather them just make the playoffs this season then miss it and nothing changes.

I will always pick playoffs as opposed to not. But I honestly don’t think anyone in the org saw this level of suckitude coming in year 2. Almost nothing had gone right. 

5 minutes ago, T R U said:

Through until the window has realistically closed to compete...then jumping ship?

If they do that, the outcry about pulling his HoF status might become a reality with another year or two of this never ending train wreck.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

91 years old?  I can't imagine another full year like this, let alone more than a decade.

If his goal is to catch Connie Mack, then he really didn't think it through very well. Just like how he didn't think through the intentional walk yesterday. 

38 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Through until the window has realistically closed to compete...then jumping ship?

If they do that, the outcry about pulling his HoF status might become a reality with another year or two of this never ending train wreck.

Probably through his contract at least. I just cant see any way he gets fired, it should have already happened if it was possible.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

So an employee who doesn't get his way should either resign or he's a "yes man"?

I'm pretty sure Hahn isn't telling Jerry that TLR is doing a great job and was a great hire, which is, by definition, what a "yes man" is.

The fact that Hahn doesn't have authority to hire/fire the team's manager is probably very frustrating to him, but not something to resign over.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

So an employee who doesn't get his way should either resign or he's a "yes man"?

I'm pretty sure Hahn isn't telling Jerry that TLR is doing a great job and was a great hire, which is, by definition, what a "yes man" is.

The fact that Hahn doesn't have authority to hire/fire the team's manager is probably very frustrating to him, but not something to resign over.

At this level, yes it is. There is a solid chance that what he does right now will taint the rest of his career, and a solid chance that he winds up being the fall guy who is caught without a chair when the music stops this year. He should have resigned in October of 2020, somewhere here will be his last chance to say he’s not ok with how this is going.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

At this level, yes it is. There is a solid chance that what he does right now will taint the rest of his career, and a solid chance that he winds up being the fall guy who is caught without a chair when the music stops this year. He should have resigned in October of 2020, somewhere here will be his last chance to say he’s not ok with how this is going.

Lmao at this level you don't quit.  That's fucking bullshit.  You quit when you are a low level manager who gets fucked around by a shitty manager, not when you have one of 30 jobs available in one of the premier leagues in the world. You make them fire you lmao

i love when people tell other people to quit 🤣 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

Plus if you try to gut it out, you could spin it as "doing the most with the resources you've been given."

If you quit, they could brand you as someone who just gives up when you don't have the support you think you need.

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Quitting puts him in the exact same spot as getting fired.  This is a really strange take to hang onto.  

11 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Plus if you try to gut it out, you could spin it as "doing the most with the resources you've been given."

If you quit, they could brand you as someone who just gives up when you don't have the support you think you need.

A record-setting payroll was not enough to work with?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

A record-setting payroll was not enough to work with?

Sorry - I thought this was strictly about the ability to hire / fire your employees (namely the manager). He certainly has made poor signings and payroll allocations.

Not being able to hire your own leadership staff to carry out your "vision" (note the quotes) is something I would certainly categorize as having your available resources limited.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Unfortunately the moment people tried to make comparisons to the 1983 club, there is zero chance Jerry would consider letting Tony go.

The Sox weren't prepared under Tony when the games mattered in 1983. Tony blew the WS as heavy favorites in 1988 and 1990.

A large number of Sox fans wanted La Russa gone his first turn. Jerry found him a landing spot in Oakland.  Two top FOs (Oakland and Saint Louis) plus Balco are the primary drivers of his win count.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1