TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

6 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

Front page on espn.com

Was Tony La Russa's intentional walk of Trea Turner the worst in MLB history? A ranking

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34070350/was-tony-la-russa-intentional-walk-trea-turner-worst-mlb-history-ranking

Turns out an intentional walk on a 1-2 count has only happened twice before since 2014. And both times it also blew up in the manager's face. 

Edited by chw42

1 hour ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Not to get off the Sheets demotion but mlb network has been torching the White Sox all day for that walk yesterday......so there's that.

There are tons all over the internet besides the MLB network, which of course they are! Here are just a few comments regarding the smartest man in the room at all times! 

The Sporting News - Edward Sutelan - Tony LaRussa's decision to walk Trea Turner baffles everyone: 'He had two strikes, Tony'

USA Today Sports - Blake Schuster - If you wanted to make an argument that White Sox manager Tony LaRussa is doing his best to get fired, then you wouldn't need much more evidence than Thursday afternoon. 

FanGraphs - Ben Clemens - "The math unsurprisingly does not support Tony LaRussa's decision to intentionally walk Tre Turner.

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

Are we allowed to comment on posts like this? I think I'll pass or once again I'll be responsible for shutting down a thread eventually. I'll just say if Tony gets replaced and they go with a Sox guy, to pick AJP over Ozzie would be really really baseball dumb.

Yes, greg the victim, you have permission to comment. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, tray said:

What an absurd overreaction by some fans to the intentional walk to Trea Turner with 2 strikes on him

Oh, less than 24 hours\ earlier..OK with one strike...

Trea Turner laser home run

Your need to defend La Russa at all costs is truly odd.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Haha 1

The responses to my above post which show what Trea Turner did the previous evening are not surprising given the level of personal animosity shown here.

I just cited fact - Trea Turner blasted a HR against us  less than 24 hours earlier...one that salted that game away.

So TLR decides to pitch to him and Trea goes deep..AGAIN, ..with the Max Muncy on deck. Tell me that fan reaction by TLR detractors would be any different.

It wouldn't. I sense hatred by some fans. Is that what this is because it sure doesn't seem like normal baseball fandom to me.

Edited by tray
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ve said so many times, but the worst managers are the ones who actually love inserting themselves into games:

Good judgment is a result of experience.  Experience is a result of bad judgment.  

So when do we see a benefit from those six decades around the game?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, tray said:

The responses to my above post which show what Trea Turner did the previous evening are not surprising given the level of personal animosity shown here.

I just cited fact - Trea Turner blasted a HR against us  less than 24 hours earlier...one that salted that game away.

So TLR decides to pitch to him and Trea goes deep....with the Max Muncy on deck. Tell me that fan reaction by TLR detractors would be any different.

It wouldn't. I sense hatred by some fans. Is that what this is because it sure doesn't seem like normal baseball fandom to me.

It was entirely because of the fact it has happened only three times in modern baseball history that there was an intentional walk after an 0-2/1-2 count.

More batters have been walked intentionally with the bases loaded to force in a run, including Maddon most famously and the Barry Bonds in 1998 one.

The same manager in Maddon who's recently unemployed.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ve said so many times, but the worst managers are the ones who actually love inserting themselves into games:

Yep, just put the lineup out there and make them play. Pitch hitters, pulling pitchers, it's all about making the manager part of the game. 

Trea hit one on a 1-1 count. the night before against a RH pitcher.

. You think he hasn't hit one on 1-2 against a weak LH pitcher.

Again, if TLR let Trea hit and he put another laser in the stands, the reaction by some fans and media would likewise be over the top batsh1t crazy.

This is all about nothing at the end of the day.

Edited by tray
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tray said:

Again, if TLR let Trea hit and he put another laser in the stands, the reaction by some fans and media would likewise be over the top batsh1t crazy.

If that was the case, there wouldn’t already be about 1,000 articles and social media posts about it.  It’s not like the team’s play is particularly compelling without TA7 and Luis Robert slumping.

13 minutes ago, tray said:

Well, yeah.  It’s just a game.  People enjoy talking about bizarre strategy choices in a game.  It’s a weird choice, kinda fascinating.  If everything else was clicking on all cylinders, people would still find it fascinating.  Given the spectacle de merde that this season has been, people have understandably added some emotion to their fascination.

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

There are tons all over the internet besides the MLB network, which of course they are! Here are just a few comments regarding the smartest man in the room at all times! 

The Sporting News - Edward Sutelan - Tony LaRussa's decision to walk Trea Turner baffles everyone: 'He had two strikes, Tony'

USA Today Sports - Blake Schuster - If you wanted to make an argument that White Sox manager Tony LaRussa is doing his best to get fired, then you wouldn't need much more evidence than Thursday afternoon. 

FanGraphs - Ben Clemens - "The math unsurprisingly does not support Tony LaRussa's decision to intentionally walk Tre Turner.

Ben's article shows that the odds to win the game actually moved slightly in the Sox favor after the walk. It wasn't much but I found it surprising.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really like you Tex but it’s unfortunate you constantly feel the need to play contrarian.

Thank you. Let  me explain my reasoning. 

Managers are constantly making decisions. Are you against teams positioning players? Shifts? Steal? Hit and run? Pitch hitters? Pitch runners? Relief pitchers?  I think the very role of a manager injects them into games and they have to embrace making those decisions. He's wrong about a lot of stuff but managers needing to make decisions isn't one of them.