GT: Sox @ Guardians Game 2: Lambert vs. McKenzie

ChiSox59

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

See post above. The scrubs didn’t cost the Sox this game as much as we’d like to pin it on them. The regulars need to do better. It’s that simple.

Maybe the regulars would have done better in the second game than against Bieber. Maybe the scrubs should have faced Bieber instead, as our chances to win the first game against Bieber and with DK pitching was low.

4 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I don’t think he would’ve pulled his starters and forfeited the game in the third inning. The more reasonable complaint is the ridiculousness of the game 2 lineup with the amounr of off days they’ve had recently. And his reluctance to sub in regulars into late inning matchups.  

But then he shouldn't spend the post game going off about teaching the regulars a lesson when all along he had the Game 2 line-up set in stone.

The lesson is that we're going to intentionally give away games to a divisional rival  to make the season more interesting down the stretch?

In some ways, it's almost hard to fault McEwing for that send of Engel because Harrison and especially Haseley in AAA have been THAT bad.

But I think 50% of those watching must have felt deep down that the game was pretty much decided with that play and decided to tune out from that point onward.

I mean, it's hard to be a "die-hard" fan when your own manager seems completely indifferent about winning the game.  Why should we care more?  Or about some 1950's sentimental version of baseball....taking pride every time you take the field, how some of the fans will only come to one game an entire season to see a Tim Anderson, Luis Robert or Jose Abreu, etc.

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Not automatically, no, but like I said the regulars in game two were terrible. If those guys hit better, they win this game. The scrubs Haseley, McGuire, Garcia, and Medick reached base 6 out of 14 plate appearances. 

Do you judge the process or the outcome?  Anything can happen in an individual baseball game, but hoping four trash hitters carry your offense is the definition of insanity.

• Thanks 2

See post above. The scrubs didn’t cost the Sox this game as much as we’d like to pin it on them. The regulars need to do better. It’s that simple.

Nah, it’s not that simple. Our best players didn’t play after 2 days off. It was dumb. And even if you do that, why no pinch hitting when the game is in reach late? Game was given away. Why? No idea. 

7 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Well, we don't have a Yermin Mercedes playing ungodly over his head in April, ourselves...

This team doesn’t hit in April. We already know this. It happens every year. Need the pitching to keep them in games and hope to survive April with a record above .500 and then let the bats warm up.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

This team doesn’t hit in April. We already know this. It happens every year. Need the pitching to keep them in games and hope to survive April with a record above .500 and then let the bats warm up.

I have a feeling that repeating "we weren't in first place alone in the AL Central until May 7th last season" will become the new catch-phrase until the offense wakes from its slumber and we get both Giolito and Lynn back into the rotation, as well as Moncada back at 3rd.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nah, it’s not that simple. Our best players didn’t play after 2 days off. It was dumb. And even if you do that, why no pinch hitting when the game is in reach late? Game was given away. Why? No idea. 

I don’t like sitting the regulars either but people acting like they win this game if they play the regulars is dumb too. It’s not that simple either. This offense has been lackluster all season. The scrubs provided a .759 OPS in game 2. I’m not sure the regulars would have done better considering they haven’t so far this year…

17 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

My point is, how do you know the regulars would have done any better? They sucked in game 1 and the ones that played in game 2 sucked as well.

Because the regulars have more skills, experience and track records than the scrubs, so you play the probabilities.

17 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

My point is, how do you know the regulars would have done any better? They sucked in game 1 and the ones that played in game 2 sucked as well.

I'd rather lose with my best players.  End of story!!

• Like 2

How does that explain CLE hitting so well in even colder weather...besides playing one series against the Reds?

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

I have a feeling that repeating "we weren't in first place alone in the AL Central until May 7th last season" will become the new catch-phrase until the offense wakes from its slumber and we get both Giolito and Lynn back into the rotation, as well as Moncada back at 3rd.

Don’t win trophies in April. I doubt the Astros are concerned that they’re about to fall into 4th place in the West. Long season. Best teams rise to the top in the end. Sox are still the best team in the AL Central by a lot.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

How does that explain CLE hitting so well in even colder weather...besides playing one series against the Reds?

Why does CLE hit poorly in warm weather? I don’t know. Some guys are perennial slow starters like Abreu, Grandal, etc. while others are not.

28 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

I don’t understand the MLB scheduling.  They send Tampa Bay to play in Chicago in April, and waste those warm days in Florida.

Because warm weather teams don't want all of there games in April and September when kids are back in school and they don't go to games.

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Don’t win trophies in April. I doubt the Astros are concerned that they’re about to fall into 4th place in the West. Long season. Best teams rise to the top in the end. Sox are still the best team in the AL Central by a lot.

Sure, they're not concerned because they KNOW they can come back...having done it five consecutive times. Heck, the 2020 team was sleep walking through the whole shortened season at around .500 or below and still went to the ALCS.

Edited by caulfield12

14 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Don’t win them, but you certainly can lose them when you throw away winnable games.

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

lol how fragile does TLR think these guys are? This is a game that is played at least 6 times a week. If guys can't play back to back days, what are they doing in the Majors?

He must be confused and thinking about himself and not 20 something professional athletes...well, we just KNEW the post-game comments were going to have some doozies.

The game has changed so much the last 20-30 years.   And not always in positive ways.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

lol how fragile does TLR think these guys are? This is a game that is played at least 6 times a week. If guys can't play back to back days, what are they doing in the Majors?

TLR been coaching baseball for 100 years and doesn't realize baseball is mostly standing around i one spot for hours...

They aint playing rugby out there you old fuck.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

We are. TLR has forgotten more about the game than most of us will ever know. But he has no clue what he’s doing, and this isn’t new. He’s been awful since day 1. 

The problem is he's forgotten most of what he knows, and it has nothing to do with how much we know 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The problem is he's forgotten most of what he knows, and it has nothing to do with how much we know 

Yep. That’s the point. Games long since passed him by. Fairly convinced a random middle school coach with moderate team knowledge could do a better job. It’s amazing.