Sox vs Sawx Game One-6:00 CT

1 minute ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

I would have preferred to see Pivetta and Kuechel pitch on the same day in hopes of seeing a score of 50-48.

In lieu of launching Keuchel into the sun, I might prefer your idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

The simple answer is to end all blackouts on MLB.tv and let fans watch their local teams via MLB's own streaming service.  Tier it local and all games if you have to.  But squeezing every last dollar out of different platforms makes the greedy bastards happier it seems.

Balta has a pretty good handle on this in that streaming services are working up biz plans and looking for ways to edge into the sports market as sports orgs are themselves looking for the right angle to take on the streaming platforms. A work in progress from all POVs. The problem lies in how viewers are taking being put in a 'man-in-the-middle' position on a frequent basis. I'm not too crazy about having to jump around looking for a game I want to see. If MLB were to enable a decent variety of games to be made readily available on a regular basis, this wouldn't be so inconvenient. Right now the entire field is in flux - a little stability would be appreciated by most.

• Like 1

Crazy that Wacha has gone from cannon fodder to ace after changing from the Rays to Red Sox...and Pivetta is suddenly the must win game.

Meanwhile, Joe Ryan in Minnesota blossoming into a RoY candidate.

Yet the Tampa keeps plugging along and hardly skips a beat despite the lineup equivalent of SFG + Wander Franco.

4 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Balta has a pretty good handle on this in that streaming services are working up biz plans and looking for ways to edge into the sports market as sports orgs are themselves looking for the right angle to take on the streaming platforms. A work in progress from all POVs. The problem lies in how viewers are taking being put in a 'man-in-the-middle' position on a frequent basis. I'm not too crazy about having to jump around looking for a game I want to see. If MLB were to enable a decent variety of games to be made readily available on a regular basis, this wouldn't be so inconvenient. Right now the entire field is in flux - a little stability would be appreciated by most.

I think now that places are hitting "subscriber growth limits", we're likely to see some consolidation of streaming services over time that will help iron this out. The market is too fragmented right now, no one wants to have to subscribe to 6 different services to find the content they want. That will take time, but it should also help issues like this clear up.

That said, the blackout rules still suck.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shago said:

Totally disagree, it's a total sh^t barn and absolute joke of a field, from the dimensions to the wall ... might as well have a clown's mouth target for a free steak and a windmill... The seats in most of the bleachers don't even face the field. Fans are mostly obnoxious drunk hockey fans. Place sucks, as do the Sawx.

But you can get clam chowder in the stadium. It's awesome. 

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think now that places are hitting "subscriber growth limits", we're likely to see some consolidation of streaming services over time that will help iron this out. The market is too fragmented right now, no one wants to have to subscribe to 6 different services to find the content they want. That will take time, but it should also help issues like this clear up.

How about the rule in the NFL where all Monday and Thursday night games are separate from the normal hame package as well? They sell them off separately.  I think most if not all Thursday games are on prime this year. It's not like baseball is the only one.

Edited by ptatc

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

How about the rule in the NFL where all Monday and Thursday night games are separate from the normal hame package as well? They sell them off separately.  I think most if not all Thursday games are on prime this year. It's not like baseball is the only one.

I don't know what it will be this year or whenever things move to Amazon or whatever that mess was, but I always got the impression that the NFL was trying to bring me their content. Almost all the Thursday night games here got simulcast on one of the main networks, so even if you didn't have NFL network you didn't lose the game, you just had to find which network had it. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't know what it will be this year or whenever things move to Amazon or whatever that mess was, but I always got the impression that the NFL was trying to bring me their content. Almost all the Thursday night games here got simulcast on one of the main networks, so even if you didn't have NFL network you didn't lose the game, you just had to find which network had it. 

I think that more about the networks paying the cost for the extra games because there are only 17 of them. Would they pay the extra cost if there were 162?

44 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

The simple answer is to end all blackouts on MLB.tv and let fans watch their local teams via MLB's own streaming service.  Tier it local and all games if you have to.  But squeezing every last dollar out of different platforms makes the greedy bastards happier it seems.

I have MLB.TV, I live in Michigan, and it STILL won't let me watch Chicago baseball games on my phone. It actually lets me watch Detroit games and I "shouldn't" be able to watch those. I've called multiple times and no one has been able to figure it out for me. Now, it's not a huge deal because I got it free through T-Mobile, and I use my mom's YouTube TV account to watch pretty much all of the games on NBCSC, but if I didn't have that option I'd either be A) pissed or B) watching through shitty illegal reddit streams, or C) both. Most likely C. It's just incredibly ridiculous.

Edited by ScooterMcGuire
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yea this is accurate. My buddy works at Hulu, fairly high up and over BBQ the other weekend the topic came up and he said basically Hulu is just working towards either getting sold off from Disney for a huge sum or vice versa and acquiring other services.

4 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

I have MLB.TV, I live in Michigan, and it STILL won't let me watch Chicago baseball games on my phone. It actually lets me watch Detroit games and I "shouldn't" be able to watch those. I've called multiple times and no one has been able to figure it out for me. Now, it's not a huge deal because I got it free through T-Mobile, and I use my mom's YouTube TV account to watch pretty much all of the games on NBCSC, but if I didn't have that option I'd either be A) pissed or B) watching through shitty illegal reddit streams, or C) both. Most likely C. 

That's just asinine.  

Blackout rules still existing in 2022 is idiotic.  The technology is there to allow everyone to stream games from tv or mobile, and old school on cable.  They don't need multiple outside services to stream the product whose rights they own.  Its needlessly difficult for this day and age.

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

That's just asinine.  

Blackout rules still existing in 2022 is idiotic.  The technology is there to allow everyone to stream games from tv or mobile, and old school on cable.  They don't need multiple outside services to stream the product whose rights they own.  Its needlessly difficult for this day and age.

All sports still do it.

28 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If it helps the owners to earn more money I don't care how many different services they use. 

Unless more than 50% of revenues are going towards payroll...but it's not even that close.  And that's without examining the "real" books for most franchises.

At least in golf, you have senior tours and now that new Saudi Arabia financed Super League as an option for Mickelson and Sergio.  Because of anti-trust, it would be nearly impossible for baseball players to pull off the same.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Unless more than 50% of revenues are going towards payroll...but it's not even that close.  And that's without examining the "real" books for most franchises.

Do you payroll for the employees on the field only? What about the staff throughout the rest of the organization?

The MLB players are about what 20-25% of the employees?

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Do you payroll for the employees on the field only? What about the staff throughout the rest of the organization?

The MLB players are about what 20-25% of the employees?

Simply comparing to players' share of revenue across the Big 4 sports.

NBA over 50%, NFL up to 48%.  NHL 50/50.

So if we're upset with players earning too much, that's even moreso the case in the NFL, NBA and NHL.

Edited by caulfield12

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Simply comparing to players' share of revenue across the Big 4 sports.

NBA over 50%, NFL up to 48%.  NHL 50/50.

So if we're upset with players earning too much, that's even moreso the case in the NFL, NBA and NHL.

NFL rosters are much bigger so that percentage is spread out over more players. 

I think someone mentioned the MLB players were getting about 47% of revenue. 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

NFL rosters are much bigger so that percentage is spread out over more players. 

I think someone mentioned the MLB players were getting about 47% of revenue. 

I'm sure Balta will have 3-5 compelling reasons why it is actually closer to 43% in MLB and falling.

3 hours ago, pcq said:

Ed Walsh used to mow 'em down like nobody's business

True but that was before any of us was born.   Many of us got to see( more often  heard) JB dominate Boston