Sox vs Sawx Game One-6:00 CT

7 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Another game that most people wont be able to watch.  Why are they trying so hard to make the game less accessible to fans?  Dont tell me you cant have streaming AND tv at the same time.  I guess ill listen on the radio.  Shame on the MLB.

It's as if MLB considers streaming the 'writing on the wall', the future of tele-coverage . Meanwhile Netflix is not all that far from being in freefall and streaming subscriptions are well down across the board. Obviously, streaming is here to stay, just not so dominant a format as some have tried to promote. With viewership constantly having to search for their games and then having to decide whether or not to subscribe to a given service would seem to be a limiting factor re: eyeballs on the screen. The notion of subscribing to one service and then having multiple games carried exclusively on another venue is not my idea of an equitable situation.  In short, it looks like the fans are the ones getting errrrr shorted on all this. I wonder how far the owners think they can push the fanbase before the fans start to push back?
Bread and circuses. Beer and ballgames.

56 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, there is no professional American sport that makes it more difficult for people to view their favorite teams than Major League Baseball.

They also have the most games.  How many fans sit down and watch all 162? How many are on other platforms, 20?

You still get 142 games. My guess is the typical fans hardly notices.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

If I don't have Apple TV (I have a Roku), and I have a Microsoft Surface, I can't watch on those platforms eh?

I have to watch on my iPhone?

I have the app downloaded to the firestick. I imagine you can download it to Roku if it doesn't come with it.

17 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

It's as if MLB considers streaming the 'writing on the wall', the future of tele-coverage . Meanwhile Netflix is not all that far from being in freefall and streaming subscriptions are well down across the board. Obviously, streaming is here to stay, just not so dominant a format as some have tried to promote. With viewership constantly having to search for their games and then having to decide whether or not to subscribe to a given service would seem to be a limiting factor re: eyeballs on the screen. The notion of subscribing to one service and then having multiple games carried exclusively on another venue is not my idea of an equitable situation.  In short, it looks like the fans are the ones getting errrrr shorted on all this. I wonder how far the owners think they can push the fanbase before the fans start to push back?

Right now there's actual competition between these streaming services as they somehow try to work out how a business plan of only offering a select group of programming can possibly become a full-fledged business. That means several of them are dumping money into trying to get quasi-exclusive content. MLB is making a bet that a few games per year given up to a few of these services that are desperate for eyes will mean more revenue than what they'll lose by having some fans get annoyed and some people like me cut back on their purchases.

Frankly, until someone has a solid and working business plan for all these streaming services, they're probably right. Let the services dump funds from their startup pools/shareholders into MLB for a few years at a vastly higher rate than what the content deserves.

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

Hating a team and hating their game experience are two different things. I have hated the Red Sox for 60 years. But I have been to about 20 different stadiums over the years. Obviously some have closed and been replaced. The outside and inside atmosphere of Boston is one of the best. I don't like cookie cutter, artificial grass or domes.  I love large enthusiastic crowds like Red Sox /Yankee games. Many great seats  and very close to the action . Great street scene outside w excellent local food.  Very safe area if you are walking or travelling to public transit.  As I previously posted, it is expensive to take a family. FWIW= Huge media following all year long.   

I have also been several times to the exact opposite,  Tampa Bay.  Terrible stadium in all aspects. Terrible crowds,  Very inexpensive but no atmosphere inside or out.    

But I will say that for many years the Sox have struggled against Boston  which is always seems to have a competitive team.  Relished the years when Johnny Buzhardt was a Red Sox killer.  

Ed Walsh used to mow 'em down like nobody's business

14 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Leury Garcia has 1 good AB vs the softest pitcher in baseball and now he is a starter again lmao.  We really need VV to show that he has turned a corner tonight 

Leury or Harrison or Mendick?

The options aren't great.

Edited by HOFHurt35
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Very true.  I'd opt for options 4 through 6 before those 3 personally 

Until the RH start hitting RHP he seems to be loading the lineup with as many LH as possible. Sheets, Garcia and McGuire

16 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Leury Garcia has 1 good AB vs the softest pitcher in baseball and now he is a starter again lmao.  We really need VV to show that he has turned a corner tonight 

You upset about not seeing Josh Harrison or Danny Mendick?

21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You upset about not seeing Josh Harrison or Danny Mendick?

For offense id have gone with Mendick.  For fielding Harrison.   

It's just a bad matchup imo for Leury.  I could easily see 0-4 or worse with 3+ K's/ground outs to the right side.  

In the field he better be on his game if VV isn't on his 

3 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

I would vocally complain about the McGuire/Yaz both playing crap again, but....there isn't anyone left to even competently DH. We need some bodies with talent.

I'm good with it as there is a day game tomorrow. Yaz should be able to catch tomorrow and Sunday.

2 hours ago, FoxForce2 said:

The simple answer is to end all blackouts on MLB.tv and let fans watch their local teams via MLB's own streaming service.  Tier it local and all games if you have to.  But squeezing every last dollar out of different platforms makes the greedy bastards happier it seems.