For us who are ignorant of the farm system

kitekrazy

7 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Honestly, no one.  It's a bad system.

Montgomery and Colas have a chance to be average MLB regulars.  But there are no potential stars here and the ceilings of pretty much all of these guys, other than Montgomery and Colas, is MLB middle reliever/bench player.  It's not worth anyone's time following who might become the next Leury Garcia or Danny Mendick.  Do something else.

I feel attacked. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Perfect Vision said:

Honestly, no one.  It's a bad system.

Montgomery and Colas have a chance to be average MLB regulars.  But there are no potential stars here and the ceilings of pretty much all of these guys, other than Montgomery and Colas, is MLB middle reliever/bench player.  It's not worth anyone's time following who might become the next Leury Garcia or Danny Mendick.  Do something else.

Montgomery has a high ceiling and is playing great in A+. The guy will be a top 100 prospect without question.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ron883 said:

Montgomery has a high ceiling and is playing great in A+. The guy will be a top 100 prospect without question.

He's doing well.  Certainly could be in the 80-100 range of top prospects.  Guys like that have a good chance to be solid average MLB players, like I said.

27 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

He's doing well.  Certainly could be in the 80-100 range of top prospects.  Guys like that have a good chance to be solid average MLB players, like I said.

He's 5th in OBP in the Carolina league. Of the 4 ahead of him, 3 were drafted in 2020.

Lenyn Sosa has the 5th highest OPS in the Southern League, where Regions Field eats hitters alive. Of the 4 ahead of him, 3 (including the Barons' Tyler Nelsony) are 26-years-old or older or have moved on to AAA (Jerar Encarnacion, a 24-years-old corner OF/1B).

He also has the 6th highest .OBP and second highest .AVG (behind Encarnacion). This is all while keeping his strikeouts low (K% is 14.2%) a decent walk rate (6.4%), and clubbing 10 home runs and driving in 37 runs from the middle infield.

Half the reason Yolbert Sanchez needs to be called up is because Lenyn Sosa is kicking AA's ass all while being two and a half years younger than league average.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Perfect Vision said:

Except your take was wrong. He has the chance to be better than an "average MLB regular" like you said. It's easy to see based on his tools and how he has performed.

I follow the minors pretty closely and my general thoughts are that the system is somewhat depleted and might be the worst in the league, BUT, there are a few things that have broken right for the Sox this year. By and large, they are the important things too.

The downsides are that there aren't too may exciting prospects knocking on the door of the majors and that the system is very shallow talent wise. Fangraphs, which is not the be-all-end-all but still, has 28 Sox prospects at a 35+ or better. Minnesota has 40, Cleveland has 48, and the Cubs have 49. 35+ is probably a fair cut off for what could be considered a prospect and the Sox are about an entire minor league team short.

This is largely because the Sox drafted guys like Vaughn, Madrigal, and Crochet that were meant to be early contributors to the system. Part of it is from some of the trades last year with guys like Horn and Pilkington for big leaguers. The Sox have also gone for the big fish in IFA (Colas, Cespedes) instead of getting a smattering of 20-100K signees.  The drafting hasn't been particularly great either and the sum of that has been a shallow farm system.

The positives are that the important guys in the farm have been performing for the most part.

• Colson Montgomery has a .900 OPS (147 wRC+!) in Low A as a 20 year old. He's 6'4 205 already so the shortstop thing might not happen, but seems like a guy that can crack a Top 100 list soon.
  • Wes Kath has a 100 wRC+ in Low A as a 19 year old but has been hitting above average since May 1. He's been striking out too much, but not being overmatched in Low A is a win at this point. if he can build off of a solid May and cut the K rate a bit this season will be a win
  • Bryan Ramos came into the year with some hype and has done nothing to curb the momentum. He is in High A and a 123 wRC+ with some pop as a 20 year old. His K-Rate of 16.4%is particularly impressive and he could be getting a taste of AA by the end of the year.
  • Colas was a bit of a wild card considering he was out of professional ball since 2019. He's been slightly above league average in A+. but will be a fun follow for the rest of the year as he continues to get his timing back. 
  • Cespedes has been a mixed bag. The good news is that he has hit for some power this year and I've heard some good things about his defense. The bad news is that he has a 27% K rate to a 2 % BB rate. That does not sound like something that would be welcomed in the Sox lineup.

I havent event gotten around to the pitching, but as you can see there are some rays of hope among the top of the org for hitters. It'll be interesting to see if any of the younger pieces get moved to help the 2022 Sox to compete. It would be a bold move that would really put the heat on Hahn and TLR