2022 draft Day 2, rounds 3-10

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I know Tim Elko is a 25 year old, 5TH year college player, but 24 homers, in 240 at bats, in the SEC, is interesting. 

to be fair he's only 23, and is a real 23 year old unlike old man Turner.

7 minutes ago, flavum said:

When I saw the pick, I immediately thought of you. 

I'm surprised that you thought of me. After all, he hits right handed. LOL

Interesting, the year before he had 16 homers, in 160 at bats. So, two years in a row, he hit one homer, every 10 at bats. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

I am now pro-Elko. I apologize.

This is crazy:
https://theathletic.com/3379458/2022/06/23/college-world-series-ole-miss-tim-elko/?source=emp_shared_article

On April 5, 2021, Elko tore an ACL while running out a ground ball against North Alabama.

Another year ruined, right? Not quite. Elko came back less than four weeks after the knee injury. He hit two grand slams in NCAA regional play, posting a .778/.858/2.111 slash line in 14 plate appearances. Scott Berry, coach of Southern Miss, which lost to the Rebels in the regional championship, compared Elko to Kirk Gibson — who’s most famous for a walk-off homer in the 1988 MLB World Series while hitting on two injured legs.

Ole Miss last year fell one win short of the CWS in a super regional at Arizona.

Elko underwent knee surgery in June. His decision to wait on the procedure killed any chance to get drafted into pro baseball at age 22.

Still, sitting in the first-base dugout at Charles Schwab Field after the Rebels’ second win in Omaha this week, he described the return last season and subsequent production at the plate as “a miracle.”

“I wouldn’t want it for any other guy,” Bench said. “No matter what’s going on, he’s going to keep us together. He’s handled everything amazingly well. To see him go through that and to come back and play and then to see him come back and have an even better season, it’s exciting to see.”

By the way - I had a totally crazy idea regarding the MLB draft. What if the lower levels of minor leagues were basically run by MLB and instead you had a draft really focused on the top talent that was ready - so when you were finally set to draft - you were basically picking guys that are going to be on your major league roster or essentially one affiliated / development squad.  

I don't know how to do it and whether it is good or not - but baseball is the sole sport where the draft players don't really show up at the major league level for a while and that is why the draft just doesn't get the same ratings. If instead - you had draft picks (which by the way you could trade) and you really would be looking at say a 5 round draft of pretty much major league ready players - boy would that make for tv (let alone the drama in the trades - i.e, a rebuilding team could trade vets for picks that would likely make much more immediate impacts - allowing potentially for quicker rebuilds, etc).  

Like I said - this is probably a terrible idea - but if MLB wanted to make the draft big time - the only way I see it happening is find a way where more MLB ready talent is actually eligible for the draft (especially the first few rounds).  Could you imagine a draft where the AA version of Mike Trout was available. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

First 6 rounds grade - A

Rounds 7, 9 10 - F-

Round 8 - A+++++++

Yea looks like 6-10 were punted, although I'm sure they needed to.  Maybe they'll pick overslot guys on day 3.

Edit;  meant to say NOT sure they needed to, as they didn't draft any obvious overslot guys.

Edited by GreenSox

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

By the way - I had a totally crazy idea regarding the MLB draft. What if the lower levels of minor leagues were basically run by MLB and instead you had a draft really focused on the top talent that was ready - so when you were finally set to draft - you were basically picking guys that are going to be on your major league roster or essentially one affiliated / development squad.  

I don't know how to do it and whether it is good or not - but baseball is the sole sport where the draft players don't really show up at the major league level for a while and that is why the draft just doesn't get the same ratings. If instead - you had draft picks (which by the way you could trade) and you really would be looking at say a 5 round draft of pretty much major league ready players - boy would that make for tv (let alone the drama in the trades - i.e, a rebuilding team could trade vets for picks that would likely make much more immediate impacts - allowing potentially for quicker rebuilds, etc).  

Like I said - this is probably a terrible idea - but if MLB wanted to make the draft big time - the only way I see it happening is find a way where more MLB ready talent is actually eligible for the draft (especially the first few rounds).  Could you imagine a draft where the AA version of Mike Trout was available. 

hmm, maybe expand it so that AAA is still team affiliated. Prior to the draft, there is a rule 5 type draft where teams choose their 40, and other teams can choose to grab unprotected players. However, you can only draft players into open positions on your 40 man. So if you want to participate in the draft, you have to be at 38 prior to the draf.t

Then there is a 2 round draft similar to the NBA. 

Just now, Lillian said:

Did you guys see Camilletti's walk to strike out ratio? The last two years at Central Michigan he had 115 walks to 66 strike outs, resulting in a .500 OBP.

Camilletti will be the absolute steal of the draft. Mark my words Lillian!

• Like 1

Just now, Lillian said:

Did you guys see Camilletti's walk to strike out ratio? The last two years at Central Michigan he had 115 walks to 66 strike outs, resulting in a .500 OBP.

Definitely. I'm going to be Camilletti's biographer at this point. Or at least tik tok influencer focused exclusively on camilletti content.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Definitely. I'm going to be Camilletti's biographer at this point. Or at least tik tok influencer focused exclusively on camilletti content.

He's going to turn into the Marcus Semien we always wanted.

Also, that BEARD.