2022 draft Day 2, rounds 3-10

southsider2k5

Really solid draft. Love the arms and there's at least intrigue with the Seniors. Comine this year's stock with some of the other young arms and the laws of baseball say we should at least hit on a few. At least we're laying the ground work for a home grown future rotation. The Sox don't have a single home grown (drafted) product in the rotation and Davis Martin probably finds himself in a bullpen role. 

I’m guessing 7-10 are like $10K signings. Pallette and Cannon are overslot but probably not by a ton. They’ll have some room tomorrow. I bet every player they draft tomorrow gets more money than anyone in rounds 7-10. Think of those guys as picks 17-20. It’s much easier that way. 

The more that I learn about Camilletti, the more I like him. It wouldn't surprise me if this kid becomes a Big Leaguer and has a decent career. His extraordinary on base ability, and good glove could make him a very productive lead off hitter and second baseman. He may be 5' 9" but he looks very strong. He should hit a lot of doubles, and an occasional homer. It will be interesting to see his prospect ranking, in the Sox system. They have some intriguing middle infielders; Montgomery, Sosa, Rodriguez, Yolbert, and now Camilletti and Sprinkle. Sprinkle's glove and base running should translate to the pros. If he learns to hit a little better, he could surprise a lot of people. Guys can learn to hit, but you can't teach speed, agility and athleticism in the field, especially at SS.

11 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’m guessing 7-10 are like $10K signings. Pallette and Cannon are overslot but probably not by a ton. They’ll have some room tomorrow. I bet every player they draft tomorrow gets more money than anyone in rounds 7-10. Think of those guys as picks 17-20. It’s much easier that way. 

Adler should be well underslot, shouldn't he?  College reliever, bad year, ranked behind where they picked him.

33 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The more that I learn about Camilletti, the more I like him. It wouldn't surprise me if this kid becomes a Big Leaguer and has a decent career. His extraordinary on base ability, and good glove could make him a very productive lead off hitter and second baseman. He may be 5' 9" but he looks very strong. He should hit a lot of doubles, and an occasional homer. It will be interesting to see his prospect ranking, in the Sox system. They have some intriguing middle infielders; Montgomery, Sosa, Rodriguez, Yolbert, and now Camilletti and Sprinkle. Sprinkle's glove and base running should translate to the pros. If he learns to hit a little better, he could surprise a lot of people. Guys can learn to hit, but you can't teach speed, agility and athleticism in the field, especially at SS.

Exactly. I've always thought with later picks that great fielders who are fast but the hit tool questionable should be taken more. It's just harder to teach an iron glove to field better than it is to teach a highly athletic guy a few things he could try to improve his hitting, especially a guy like Sprinkle who was hitting well but then fell apart.

Cameletti probably won't be ranked in the Sox top 30 picks. Probably won't even get an honorable mention. As an 8th rd draft pick he's going to have to prove it on the field to get any notice unlike top picks who get more leeway in that regard.

Any hype you see now in the thread is just some guys messing around or picking out a favorite based on looks or beard or how their attitude translates to video.

With the Sox money pool for the draft they spent a lot of it in the 1st 6 rounds and  rounds 7-10 are seniors or 5th year Seniors who will sign for very little and are even considered throw away picks where the Sox can save some money and then take chances on guys considered unsignable in the later rounds by throwing extra money at them. (Usually HS kids with firm college commitments or holding out for a certain amount of money)

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

15 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Tim Elko and Jake Burger are remarkably similar.  One could be named Jake Elko and the other Tim Burger.  

you missed on the elk burger joke. The joke is you are using elk meat for the patty. 

• Haha 2