Why not Colas?

ron883

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Alert: 1.300 OPS in 12 games at AA. Lefty, probably infinitely better than Sheets in RF. Call him up!

With no move in RF, I expect to see Colas emerge in the next few weeks.  And honestly, that's better that starting him with the big club next year...if you're going to do that, call him up soon.  Otherwise do the smart thing and wait until May 2023.  Sox always seem to make the shortsighted decision there, or try to extend. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

With no move in RF, I expect to see Colas emerge in the next few weeks.  And honestly, that's better that starting him with the big club next year...if you're going to do that, call him up soon.  Otherwise do the smart thing and wait until May 2023.  Sox always seem to make the shortsighted decision there, or try to extend. 

I agree. Maybe giving the front office too much credit here but I would like to believe the rapid rise of Colas was a big factor in not adding an outfielder at the deadline. He’s ready, give him a shot.

31 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Exactly my thinking. 

On 7/29/2022 at 9:01 PM, Balta1701 said:

2019 - 1.45
2018 - 1.31
2017 - 1.42.
2015 it was 1.61.
2014 - 1.40.

top 10 in the league in ground ball rate going all the way back to Ventura. Every year. This is a specific team philosophy. They bring in guys like Menechino because that is the it’s philosophy. Starts at the top.

2013 was actually a fly ball team. 2014 was Todd Steverson’s first year. Who hired Manto in 2012 and who hired Steverson in 2014?

was trying to explain this in another thread....

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Colas is either coming up or Hahn was too concerned with the roster crunch (unwilling to send Sheets or a reliever down) to add a free OF rental.  

It is one or the other.  

I don't like the idea of rushing prospects.

Not saying Colas isn't ready, but he's tearing the cover off the ball in a new league. Do we know what happens when teams adjust to his approach? Can HE make the adjustments he needs as a hitter?

Essentially, how much of his success is due to talent + sheer hard work, and how much of his success is due to his ability to adapt?

Because the big leagues are littered with guys who've made it here on talent and hard work, but won't stick because they don't know how to make the adjustments that the league is making around them.

...or is this kind of an outdated way of thinking, now that video, scouting reports, and statcast-type metrics are available for more and more levels of minor leagues?

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

Colas is either coming up or Hahn was too concerned with the roster crunch (unwilling to send Sheets or a reliever down) to add a free OF rental.  

It is one or the other.  

I think its just more likely that Hahn didn't want to give up any of Montgomery, Colas, Vera, Rodriguez or Ramos for 10 weeks of a player.  Frankly, I don't disagree with him.  You can't force teams to trade you useful players for shitty players, like a select few posters here constantly seem to think is realistic. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I don't like the idea of rushing prospects.

Not saying Colas isn't ready, but he's tearing the cover off the ball in a new league. Do we know what happens when teams adjust to his approach? Can HE make the adjustments he needs as a hitter?

Essentially, how much of his success is due to talent + sheer hard work, and how much of his success is due to his ability to adapt?

Because the big leagues are littered with guys who've made it here on talent and hard work, but won't stick because they don't know how to make the adjustments that the league is making around them.

...or is this kind of an outdated way of thinking, now that video, scouting reports, and statcast-type metrics are available for more and more levels of minor leagues?

Hes about to turn 24 years old, anything he has left to learn I don't see why he couldn't learn it at the major league level. He's slashing .329 / .391 / .526 between A+ and AA in 71 games. We have a major need in RF, stars are aligning.

And for those of you who are like "I would rather wait until Menechino/TLR are gone" don't hold your breath. I don't think either of them are out at the end of the year barring a complete collapse to end the season.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think its just more likely that Hahn didn't want to give up any of Montgomery, Colas, Vera, Rodriguez or Ramos for 10 weeks of a player.  Frankly, I don't disagree with him.  You can't force teams to trade you useful players for shitty players, like a select few posters here constantly seem to think is realistic. 

Its his fault as the state of our farm system is bad. We don't have a surplus of good enough players to trade.

An issue is Hahn's belief that you have to be bad to  draft good players without looking at the Dodgers and Yankees whos farm systems are always stocked.

JR/KW should be ransacking their FOs and hiring guys to improve our scouting. But no...they only hire and promote from within. Its a losing formula.

27 minutes ago, T R U said:

Hes about to turn 24 years old, anything he has left to learn I don't see why he couldn't learn it at the major league level. He's slashing .329 / .391 / .526 between A+ and AA in 71 games. We have a major need in RF, stars are aligning.

And for those of you who are like "I would rather wait until Menechino/TLR are gone" don't hold your breath. I don't think either of them are out at the end of the year barring a complete collapse to end the season.

I get he’s 24 but I think it’s more that he didn’t play for what, 3 years?

1 hour ago, T R U said:

He has 52 plate appearances above Class A, in which he has a .500 BABIP.
Don't get me wrong - he appears to be progressing well, but to suggest that he can jump in and contribute at the big league level on a contending team is misguided IMO.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nah.  There were corner outfielders that we didn't have to give up any of those names for.  Would anyone have been excited about them?  No.  

Rick chose Sheets over them.  He also probably chose not spending anymore money.