Sure, David Peralta will solve everything

CentralChamps21

51 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They could readily win the AL Central despite all these problems, and there’s benefits to that in terms of playoff ticket and ad sales and ticket package and ad renewals for next year even if they’re out in the wild card round. A couple moves that help do so are ok. 

But they can’t beat the Yankees or Astros when those teams are trying. It’s ok to take a few steps towards this division, I just don’t want to see them costing a win or two next year to do so, as with some coaching changes there are ways for this team to snap back in ‘23.

Of course, the coaching staff probably stays the same if they make the playoffs, so blah.

It’s baseball. Get in the playoffs, get hot at the right time and anyone can beat anyone else over a small sample size. The Braves were 50-54 and 6 GB this time last year. I’m sure their fans were having the same debate. I bet they’re glad they added At the deadline.

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s baseball. Get in the playoffs, get hot at the right time and anyone can beat anyone else over a small sample size. The Braves were 50-54 and 6 GB this time last year. I’m sure their fans were having the same debate. I bet they’re glad they added At the deadline.

The #1 and #2 seeds now have a much, much stronger path to the world series than they had last year. I'm sure some team from 3-6 will make the LCS, but the odds of that kind of run have been substantially diminished with the extra round thrown in, both just because there are more teams to get through and because the extra round will wear down those teams even more. On top of that, the Astros and Yankees are really f***ing good, and both are likely to get better in the next couple days. 

Last year's Braves would have had to go through an extra round, and their pitching staff was at its breaking point by the end of the series, they had one bullpen game already in that series. Add in an extra high pressure round that the Astros don't have to play because Atlanta was a 3 seed and Houston a 2 seed and Houston might well have another year of banging on trashcans to celebrate.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The #1 and #2 seeds now have a much, much stronger path to the world series than they had last year. I'm sure some team from 3-6 will make the LCS, but the odds of that kind of run have been substantially diminished with the extra round thrown in. On top of that, the Astros and Yankees are really f***ing good, and both are likely to get better in the next couple days. 

Just my opinion, but I think that the new format will eliminate a lot of the variance in baseball's playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Just my opinion, but I think that the new format will eliminate a lot of the variance in baseball's playoffs. 

I don't think you're wrong, and I don't think that's a bad thing either. I want the LCS and the WS to have the heavyweight matchups. It's better TV. I am legit excited to see the Astros and Yankees in a 7 game LCS this year, that's going to be must see TV if it happens. Judge in there with 62 home runs this season against Cy Young 40 year old Verlander? Come on. Grab a beer and sit back.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't think you're wrong, and I don't think that's a bad thing either. I want the LCS and the WS to have the heavyweight matchups. It's better TV. I am legit excited to see the Astros and Yankees in a 7 game LCS this year, that's going to be must see TV if it happens. Judge in there with 62 home runs this season against Cy Young 40 year old Verlander? Come on. Grab a beer and sit back.

I’d rather see the White Sox in there, but I guess that’s just me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The #1 and #2 seeds now have a much, much stronger path to the world series than they had last year. I'm sure some team from 3-6 will make the LCS, but the odds of that kind of run have been substantially diminished with the extra round thrown in, both just because there are more teams to get through and because the extra round will wear down those teams even more. On top of that, the Astros and Yankees are really f***ing good, and both are likely to get better in the next couple days. 

Last year's Braves would have had to go through an extra round, and their pitching staff was at its breaking point by the end of the series, they had one bullpen game already in that series. Add in an extra high pressure round that the Astros don't have to play because Atlanta was a 3 seed and Houston a 2 seed and Houston might well have another year of banging on trashcans to celebrate.

Multiple wild card teams won the World Series despite long odds. Last season in the NFL the Rams had to play an extra playoff round (Bengals too) because they weren’t a top 2 seed. I realize the odds are worse if you’re not but it’s more important to get hot at the right time than be well rested.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Multiple wild card teams won the World Series despite long odds. Last season in the NFL the Rams had to play an extra playoff round (Bengals too) because they weren’t a top 2 seed. I realize the odds are worse if you’re not but it’s more important to get hot at the right time than be well rested.

Or option three…build a team that is at the top of the heap year in and year out. You have brought up the Braves in your defense of the White Sox, multiple times, but fail to mention a team like the Astros, that have built a team that has appeared in the last 5 American League Championship series. They aren’t relying on just “luck” or “getting hot”…they have a well run, talented organization, and the results speak for themselves.

46 minutes ago, Tony said:

Or option three…build a team that is at the top of the heap year in and year out. You have brought up the Braves in your defense of the White Sox, multiple times, but fail to mention a team like the Astros, that have built a team that has appeared in the last 5 American League Championship series. They aren’t relying on just “luck” or “getting hot”…they have a well run, talented organization, and the results speak for themselves.

Now, you’re right. The Astros relied on cheating to win their one championship. 

• Quin locked this topic